Perception of Self...I've lost the Weight, but still see a h

Options
Even though I have lost 100lbs, when I look in the mirror, some days I still see myself as 100lb+. How long does it take to overcome this mode of thinking? Does it ever go away? Or will it always be around? Is there something I can do to change how I see myself in the mirror? Sheesh. You'd think it would be enough to loose all the weight. I was heavy for 18 years of my life, so I have spent a lot of time unhappy with my reflection.

Replies

• Teebowen
    Teebowen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I hear you...I did the lap band and lost 136 lbs had problems band removed gained 68 of it back... now am down 15 from that but still have a hard time seeing myself does not matter where I am at.... would love some additional thoughts too...
    and btw CONGRATULATIONS what an amazing accomplishment!
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    it comes with positive self talk and purposefully ignoring negative self talk. i've heard of counselors who make you draw an outline of what you perceive your body to be, and then they trace your body over that outline in a different color to help you see the difference in what you see in the mirror and what's real. going to a counselor for something like this might be a good idea. it's nothing to feel bad about. i finally sucked it up and went to a counselor about my own body image issues and it's helping tremendously. if you're in school, see if there are women's services available to students at a low cost.
  • FitnessBarbieDoll
    Options
    Stay encouraged! You've come a long way and that's a blessing for sure. My theory is that it's a mind set thing... start talking to yourself in the mirror and remind yourself how far you've come and how good you look! I find myself in the mirror complimenting myself (lol) and it makes me laugh and feel great! YOU are responsible for making YOURSELF happy first. Once you set your mind to it, you can do it. Control your mind- and don't let your mind control you. Be positive and it will change the way you feel about yourself from the inside out :)!
  • ktanderson05
    ktanderson05 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered the same thing, and I think that is something that has held me back in wanting to get healthy, was the fear of always looking at myself as the fat chick so whats the point of changing....But I do think overtime you will overcome it and realzie all the good you are doing for yourself and how much healthier you are. I would focus on all the positive things you have done to become healthy, rather than focusing on what you once were. Hopefully that helps! :)
  • Mountain_woman
    Mountain_woman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. All helps!
  • smelmel
    smelmel Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I just put it down to fat days, some days I feel fat and I weigh 140, i know I'm not but I think it's just that negative tape that plays in my head sometimes, fat ugly hopeless but I ignore it now when before I would go to the fridge and eat it away. So now on these days when I look in the mirrror instead of finding things that I don't like I try to name the the parts I do like and slowly I start to look and feel better, at the end of the day it is just a shell.:flowerforyou:
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I glad someone else posted something about body image, because I have also been struggling. It's so hard to even take compliments I can always find a way to turn it negative. I would love to know how to get past this! I look in the mirror and see the same person I have went from a size 28 to size 14 and I still feel like my clothes look huge and I still turn to go through doors, I even have a fear of sitting next to people!
  • vitosbud
    vitosbud Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure but for me one thing that makes a difference is looking at photos. The mirror is too familiar and my overactive, sabotaging brain gets in the way. Somehow photos are more "third person" and I can notice the difference more.
  • krisney
    krisney Posts: 56
    Options
    I've had a tough time with this too (lost 80 lbs so far). I do not like to be the center of attention, or to have people look at me in a way that considers me 'attractive'. When I shop for clothes I still reach for the largest size first, even though I'm down to an 8 - weird but true!

I think the day will come when you 'get it' and see what everyone else does :) I read somewhere that taking a picture of yourself helps, b/c when you look in the mirror you see how you 'feel', rather than how you 'look'.

Just a thought...take care!
  • vero_1
    vero_1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    a long time ago I read somewhere that a lot of what we see in the mirror is a refection of what we believe we are seeing (an image we have already in our minds), this was also used to explain why sometimes we don't see things that are right infront of us until we look at them from a different angle (ever gone crazy looking for your keys only to find them where you had already looked?) so a few years back, I got really tired of always looking at my self in the mirror and not liking what I saw so I decided to MAKE my self stand infront of the mirror every day wearing something pretty, or revealing, or sexy, or sometimes wearing nothing at all... I tried to stand up tall and straight and repeat the words (OUT LOUD) "I am beautiful" "I look great" "I look sexy" over and over. It might sound silly to some, but after a while, my brain got the picture, the NEW picture! Positive self talk can do wonders for our self image!
  • starace
    starace Posts: 11
    Options
    This is a tough one, and I understand from where you are coming from. Sometimes you just have to be proud of yourself and look in the mirror and say "I look awesome today." A negative voice deep within you will probably say "really?" Just IGNORE that voice. To lose 100 pounds is no small feat (I lost but 80 myself.)

Also, take every little step you can every day to keep improving yourself (we can always get better in some way!), without failing to praise how great you are looking every day. :) Ignore the negative voice in your head!

To be fair, I understand this problem, although I have changed a ton and always see somebody attractive in the mirror (trust me, I used to dislike myself a big deal some years ago). I am not better than you in any way or fashion. We just have to convince ourselves of the TRUTH: we are awesome!