Baked Fries - Prep & Freeze too *pics*

Options
NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
I love making baked french fries (because I really really missed fries when I started watching my calories)....but sometimes I wish I could just throw them in the oven and go from there (like you can when you get frozen fries from the store!), instead of having to peel, cut them up, etc etc....

I just found this on how to freeze the fries, and wanted to share. It still takes prep time, but I could sit down on a Sunday night and put together 3-4 family sized meal bags of frozen fries, that way during the week, I just throw them in the oven for a quick yummy tasty side. :)

Make ready-to-cook frozen French fries:

* Peel and cut the potatoes you want to freeze into "french fry lengths."
* Boil cut potatoes in water until partially cooked.
* Drain and place in a single layer on a sprayed sheet pan.
* Freeze until solid; transfer to freezer bags or containers and put in freezer.

To cook the frozen French fries: toss frozen potatoes with 1-2 tbsp. of oil, add seasonings, place them in a single layer on a sheet pan and bake at 425 degrees until nicely browned. Turn occasionally. Serve.

I know a lot of MFP users know how to make baked french fries, but just in case you don't (and would like too) here are some directions.

My cheapy mandolin from Walmart, probably one of the best investments I made I think it was only around $12. But I use it all the time now For fries, or to slice up veggies etc.

img1353r.jpg

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees - Then slice up the potatoes (you can peel first, or wash and leave skin on)
I use regular russet potatoes, because that's what I usually have on hand. Sweet potatoes are good too (I know a lot of people who actually like them better)

This is about 1000 grams of potato I started weighing them because even though the serving size is on the bag I noticed half the potatoes are actually double the serving size. This will make enough for 4 people. (big servings)

img1354l.jpg

Put potatoes in a bag. Add 1 tbsp of oil. Mix well in bag.

img1357h.jpg

Then add seasonings, whatever you want. I like to use substitute salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika. Mix in bag again. Then put on baking pan. I like using a pizza pan because of the holes on the bottom, so it seems like it cooks both sides.

img1359v.jpg

Bake for 20 min, flip fries, then bake another 10 min. Broil briefly at the end for extra crispiness.

This comes out to around 299 calories per serving (and the servings are big, you could probably cut back, or make this so it serves 6 lol)....and it has under 10 grams of sodium per serving.

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Ooh, thanks for this! I've been buying frozen fries but I hate how high they are in sodium right out of the bag. This is awesome! I need to get one of those slicer thingers. Do they make slicers that make crinkle fries?
  • JenUB
    JenUB Posts: 84
    Options
    Wow! Those look delicious!
  • Jovannyr
    Jovannyr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    wow, they look yummy :bigsmile: ....ive been craving fries and forgot that you can bake these....Thanks

Bump...!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Great freezer tip! I like making them fresh, but don't always have the time. I am totally stealing this idea!
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    These look delicious! Thanks :bigsmile:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Ooh, thanks for this! I've been buying frozen fries but I hate how high they are in sodium right out of the bag. This is awesome! I need to get one of those slicer thingers. Do they make slicers that make crinkle fries?

If you get a more expensive mandolin they do. Some of the better grade ones come with all kinds of slicer inserts for different stuff (crinkle, criss cross etc). The one I got only has like 4 settings. LOL
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Yum. Thanks!
  • HollyRutledge
    HollyRutledge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    BUMP!! This is a great recipe!
  • alacarte
    alacarte Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    They look great, can't wait to try making them.
  • sharper43
    sharper43 Posts: 109
    Options
    Oh now I know what I'm going to use my 20% BB&B coupon for! A slicer!
  • rdy2begin
    rdy2begin Posts: 170
    Options
    TY a super bonus !! You are awesome in my book !! :)
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    bumpin!
  • SweetToothMelissa
    SweetToothMelissa Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this....it's a great idea, and I don't know why I never thought about it LOL. Sweet potato fries are delish! I have the same slicer and I absolutely love it. Definitely worth the money!!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    How many carbs are in a serving. I am diabetic and have to count carbs.
  • SarahElittlebit
    SarahElittlebit Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I like the freezer tip. I have one of those machines you drop the potato into, press the handle down and it pushes the potato through into fries. It cost about $10.

I make mine without the oil. I use the stone pans from Pampered Chef so I can do without the oil. I throw the raw potatoes on the pan sprinkle either salt and pepper on them or I sometimes use Season All Salt for a different flavor. If I decide to do any oil at all I spray/spritz a little olive oil on the top of them.

I usually do one small potato per person and look at the carbs as being the same as a small baked potato.
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    OH im Hungry now.... yummmmmmmmmmmm
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    How many carbs are in a serving. I am diabetic and have to count carbs.

Around 60 carbs using russet potatoes. Potatoes are pretty high in starchy carbs. I've heard that sweet potatoes have less carbs though, but I haven't checked out the nutrition on those.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    I like the freezer tip. I have one of those machines you drop the potato into, press the handle down and it pushes the potato through into fries. It cost about $10.

OMG...where did you get that? I want one! lol
  • djthom
    djthom Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    looks yuummmyy! can't wait to try it. thanks :flowerforyou:
  • Rnjennmcc
    Rnjennmcc Posts: 28
    Options
    Yumm I want to try that with sweet potatoes....love love love sweet potatoe fries