How often do you work out?

Options
Today is my 6th day in a row to work out and I have burned at least 400-600 each day...its a record for me, and I am proud! But I know that when I miss a day, I am going to feel guilty. How often do you work out? And does it help to have a 'rest day'?

Replies

• PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,692 Member
    Options
    Don't feel guilty about taking a rest day or two a week. You're not slacking. In fact, that's when your body does some of its best work — when you're recovering. I typically work out six days a week, but if one of those six days I'm just not feeling it, I take it off guilt-free. Especially if working out regularly is new to you, I'd really encourage you to pace yourself. I've seen so many people start out all gung-ho because they're excited and motivated, which is great, but if you burn yourself out, it's not so great. Work out more days than not, make good food choices more days than not, and when that all becomes a habit, you can fine-tune both even more. You're doing a great job, though, so keep it up the good work!
  • _Lisa_
    _Lisa_ Posts: 61
    Options
    I usually work out 6 days a week..... sometimes my weekends fill up and i only get in 5 days a week but i think a day off can be good.
  • calebespnsmommie
    calebespnsmommie Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I also feel quilty when I do not go to the gym. However, I have some workout dvds at home that I do the days I cant make it to the gym. I agree with you needed those days of rest and letting your body recover!! I just tell myself, I have worked hard to loose the 20 pounds I have so far and all of the inches, one day is not going to make a difference.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    My goal is five days a week, but sometimes it's only four. I run three days, weight train three days, and do other cardio and ab work the other two. I don't work out on Monday's (because I work 11 hour days) and Wednesday's (because I have church stuff after work) so the other days I schedule it in somewhere!!! I love good hard workouts on Sunday afternoons since I don't work out on Monday.. makes me feel like I'm still burning the whole next day!!!
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    i normally work out 4 to 5 times a week, about a hour and half to two hours at the gym...off days ill normally take my kiddos on a walk...not so brisk..its hard to take a brisk walk with a 3 yr old who likes to stop and look at everything and ask questions about everything, but thats something i <3 about this age, so curious and wanting to fill his little mind with so much.
  • staceyo1211
    staceyo1211 Posts: 163
    Options
    I feel guilty if I dont everyday. I feel like im gonna slip and go back into that lazy mode where I used to be. As time goes by im enjoying exercising.
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I generally workout 4 or 5 days a week and I don't allow myself to miss working out two days in a row...
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have gotten to where I enjoy working out....well at least the feeling I get FROM working out. I do like the idea of making sure I dont miss two days in a row. That is my greatest fear...is if I stop then not starting back up and going back to my lazy ole' self!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    that's great you enjoy working out! the more often i do it, the more i look forward to it. it is a great feeling too to be on an endorphin high after a good workout. i exercise 6-7 times a week - i feel ilke my day isn't complete without a workout, and my body will feel sluggish. this is a huge change from when i used to dread going to the gym! :) i think the key is to find very fun and enjoyable exercises and classes that you can stick with in the long-term.

you are doing great, and keep up the good progress! it is totally okay to take a rest day - just exercise consistently and you'll soon be where you want to be! :)
  • BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I work out 5 days a week. I spread out the 2 rest days. I think rest days are necessary. On my rest days, I might still do a light exercise, but not as hardcore as the other 5 days. I also feel a little bit of guilt on those days, but I think it's good for me to rest my body.
  • Murdog
    Murdog Posts: 70
    Options
    Honestly, I'm having serious trouble in this area. Really, I'm into a few things and, am having trouble implementing both of them. One is Taekwondo, the second is running. When I was in the military, I didn't have a problem. Though, I was single and all I had to do was train, train, train! Not so anymore. I am married with a five year old and a full time day job. Oh yeah... I'm also a college student. UGH!

Not that I'm complaining. I love my life. But, I'm paying for my lack of planning with my waist line... big time!

Just did some TKD training tonight. It seems to burn more calories, which is what I really need right now. But, I love to run.

I'd like to do this at least four days a week (perhaps during the week) and take off on the weekend to spent time with the family.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    My goal is to work out 6 days a week. My "rest days" are usually just performing less strenuous activity, but there IS activity, whether it be in the form of mild stretching, light cardio, less intense prison routines, or some calisthenics sprinkled in throughout the day. Routines that generally don't produce buckets of sweat. Then there's the occasional vegging out of pure nothingness. But those are far and few between.
  • briar_rose
    briar_rose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    5 days a week..I think that rest days are necessary. The odd week I will work out 6 days but I don't think that is really realistic for me.
  • GraemeSkinner
    GraemeSkinner Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    5 to 6 days a week. But mix it up with strength training 3 days and 2-3 days of just cardio. Supposed to be going to the gym this evening but I'm going to do some "your shape - Fitness Evolved" on the Kinect this evening instead.

Rest days are vital to the body's recovery. Without them, you can be doing more harm than good.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    3 times in 14 days. HIT weight lifting and less than 20 minutes each workout and heart rate hits max. If bored I'll throw in a couple 10 minute HIIT Cardio workouts that usually burn 200 calories.

Rest days depend on what your doing. Strength training weightlifting, mandatory 48 hours or more between working the same muscle. Endurance and high burn cardio the goal is prevent over training which rest days can help counter You have to be careful with high volume weightlifting or over training rears it's ugly head.
  • cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    i aim for 5 days

if im on horrible shifts at work its sometimes 3

if i know im going to have to miss a session i do twice as much spin a gym session out twice as long!!

sometimes a 4 mile walk is as good as a gym session : D

cheers
  • grneyety
    grneyety Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I aim for 4 days a week mostly because of time constraints that make it difficult to do more than that. I don't count simple stretching and push ups etc. I think it's important to give yourself a break. I have a long road to go in weight loss and I don't want to burn out early by pushing myself past my limits.
  • critter347
    critter347 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I try to workout everyday, but sometimes I miss a day a week. But everyone has their own schedule, its whatever works for you.
  • Frankilou25
    Frankilou25 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Now, I'm doing 6-7 days of cardio and 3 days spread out of weights. On the 3 days I do weights, I lower the cardio time to offset. I reached my goal weight in late November so I started doing just 5 days of cardio and 2 days of weight. Since the beginning of February, I've stepped it up to what I'm doing now.