Alcohol is derailing my efforts! This sucks!

Options
Trying to lose weight is so much harder than it was 9 years ago. I like to drink on the weekends but I find my weight loss almost cancels itself out after a weekend of partying and that just plain sucks! It was never an issue in the past as long as I stayed within my daily calories or points. But now, being 38 years old, it seems to be impossible. FML.

Replies

• sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a matter of priority.. to drink and not lose weight or to lose weight/reach your goal and ditch the partying?

You can still go out and have fun without drinking.
  • mama_mia3
    mama_mia3 Posts: 66
    Options
    well? If you're balls to the wall serious about weight loss and a healthy lifestyle, you'll give up the weekend drinking. If it's just something you're not willing to sacrifice, then I'd need to get used to only drinking those Mgd 64 beers. But realistically? which do you want more? a healthy weight or a party? cuz in my opinion you can't really have both.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I seem to do OK if when I drink I keep my total calories for the day at my maintenance level, not my lose weight level. For instance, I will have drinks and keep my total calories (including drinks) for the day at 1800 as opposed to 1200 with no drinks. So far it is working for me (I am 34). The thing I have to be careful with is the dreaded SUI (Snacking Under the Influence).
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Its going better without alco even for me, and Im younger... so... I think its totally worth it!
  • LesleyCupcakes
    Options
    I feel your pain!

What do you like to drink when you go out? I can suggest some low calorie alcoholic drinks to try:

Dry white wine / Rosé
    Jack Daniels (straight, on the rocks, or with water instead of coke)
    Vodka (as above)
    Coors Light (if they sell it in pubs / clubs you go to)

Hope this helps!
  • ejoyb
    ejoyb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Decrease your alcohol intake if you want to see the results of your weight loss efforts. I know, it can be hard to make the sacrifice. My boyfriend is super into beer and keeps a mini fridge stocked with some of my favorite stouts, but I know I can't enjoy it with him. If I'm really jonezing for a drink at a gathering, then I try to stick with a gin and tonic or vodka and tonic...but just 1.

Besides, now that I'm living a healthier lifestyle, I feel more energetic and happy which makes me quite fun to be around at parties lately...even without the alcohol! I just motivate myself by knowing that in time, I'll look as good as I feel if I stay strong with this weight loss effort.
  • ejoyb
    ejoyb Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also, lately I'm enjoying gin bucks (diet ginger ale, gin, and a splash of lemon juice).
  • coreysloan1
    Options
    I can tie my shoes from a seated position now...I can sleep on my stomach...my sleep apnea is not gone but better (I think...I'm usually asleep when I'm asleep so I cant really say on that one)...yesterday as I was walking upstairs to my apartment I realized...Crap!!!This is easy...but most of all...after more than 10 long years...I'm like a thoroughbred stallion in the McLuvin department! Jack Daniels can kiss my sweet white (ever shrinking) butt!!! By the way...I've got a list of these mile long if you ever need an encouraging word. :)
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I used to be a bartender, so this was something I heard from women all the time.

Are you drinking lots of beer? If so, you gotta LAY OFF! Even the light ones (which taste like CRAP) will not work for you in the end.

It might be better for you to move to liquor. Here are some lighter drinks that will probably keep you from an ungodly amount of calories....

Gin, Soda Water, with a slice of lemon or lime
    Captain Morgan, Diet Coke (Pepsi just doesnt taste right in this in my opinion), with a slice of lime.

These are the two most common. Also, drink water in between your alcohol, as it will fill you up faster causing you to not drink as much.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I used to be a bartender, so this was something I heard from women all the time.

Are you drinking lots of beer? If so, you gotta LAY OFF! Even the light ones (which taste like CRAP) will not work for you in the end.

It might be better for you to move to liquor. Here are some lighter drinks that will probably keep you from an ungodly amount of calories....

Gin, Soda Water, with a slice of lemon or lime
    Captain Morgan, Diet Coke (Pepsi just doesnt taste right in this in my opinion), with a slice of lime.

These are the two most common. Also, drink water in between your alcohol, as it will fill you up faster causing you to not drink as much.

PS: I too am a very social drinker, if that means anything. However, I drink more 'expensive beers' (IE nothing light because if Im going to waste my calories, Im going to do it in style!!), which usually means I dont need as many to feel good ;)
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I drink once a month usually, MAYBE twice with my girlfriends and it usually is a night of walking around if we're bar hopping (burning cals!) or if we're at one place, dancing!! (burning even more cals!) If I know I'm going out drinking, I'll be super good all day, drink lots of water, and exercise super hard core so I have plenty of cals for the day. I'll also avoid junk food while drinking and instead eat a snack of rice cakes or a fiber bar or something before we go out. Alcohol is definitely not a good thing to have while trying to lose weight but at the same time, going out once or twice a month won't totally kill your efforts.. I find that I still lose weight when I go out, because I am sure to follow all my stuff above
  • fanullona
    fanullona Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    ugh i hear ya. i say the same thing every sunday!!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I can tie my shoes from a seated position now...I can sleep on my stomach...my sleep apnea is not gone but better (I think...I'm usually asleep when I'm asleep so I cant really say on that one)...yesterday as I was walking upstairs to my apartment I realized...Crap!!!This is easy...but most of all...after more than 10 long years...I'm like a thoroughbred stallion in the McLuvin department! Jack Daniels can kiss my sweet white (ever shrinking) butt!!! By the way...I've got a list of these mile long if you ever need an encouraging word. :)

Great post Corey, can I add

My blood pressure is now 115/ 60.......no more meds
    My Exercise asthma is gone...............no more bronchiodialator
    My liver functions are normal.............no more belly fat
    My ankles arent so puffy...................no more 121 lbs that contributed to that
    My total cholesterol is normal............no more fat that contributed to that
    My LDL and HDL are normal.............a decrease in Total Cholesterol did that for me
    My Fasting Sugar/Triglicerides are normal......... a decrease in body weight brought that to a normal reading....

I hear what the OP is saying, but for me, my health is the most important over alcohol

now that Im at my goal weight, or almost there, I plan on a drink of wine ahead of time............If Im going to a party, Ill take that red dry wine , the one with kangaroos on it, I think its Australian, and its only 600 for the entire bottle, Ill have 2 glasses and thats it........

Soo, for me, I get my high on my blood work results, and the fact that I can breathe properly, no more sleeping device, no more panic attacks when I dont think I can catch my breath...............
    Nothing means more to me now than the way that I feel after losing 121 lbs,.........nothing...................Best wishes, Lloyd
  • IndyRick
    IndyRick Posts: 172
    Options

AND...I can remember what I did last night. And no more waking up with goats! :)
  • misschaplin
    Options
    Do some extra dancing :p lol x
  • savannahgro
    savannahgro Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have cut back considerably!
    If I know Im going out I like to add in how much I "think" I will drink and usually when I see how many wasted calories I have on there, I realize Im not going to drink that much. I also try to get some cardio in on days I know I'm going out. And then I eat less (terrible, i know) but it seems to be working.

I like to have a beer or two while I'm watching hockey games so what I have started to do for weeknight games is ride my stationary for the first period. drink a pint or two of water and then have a beer or two. I used to drink 4-6 for every game, so this is helping me much.

I have found that with my weight loss, I have also lost my insane tolerance for booze. Which is good, because I now have to drink way less to even get a buzz.

I don't think it has to be an either or type of situation. I think if it were, i wouldn't be able to do this because I love to have a beer or two and giving up something completely that you really dig, shouldn't have to happen.

Good Luck!

PS Miller Lite only has 96 calories as opposed to what I used to drink: Molson (144 ) Bud light (110!) and PBR (153!) so I have switched to that...
  • cbs1974
    cbs1974 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    how much do you drink?
    do you excersize?

i have a few in the week that is not derailing my efforts YET!!
    i usually drink stella artois which is strong enough! but only 133cals per 330ml bottle i usually smash 3 of these down me!!
    the light beers are quite a bit less!!
    i usually work out pretty hard on the day so its in my calorie goal aswell!!

if you cant stop try slowing down first !!
  • Chrissy_Michelle
    Chrissy_Michelle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice! I know what I need to do, it's the "doing" that I have trouble with lol! I drink vodka mostly and some beer. I enjoy both but I know vodka is better.