Ladies, I have a bra question...

Options
The Question:
How do you wash and dry your bras??

The background:
I am busty, even after a reduction. I have a hard time finding bras and when I do, I obviously wear them until they are shapeless and worthless. I have a terrible tendency to only have one bra at a time (or at least one well-fitting bra), so it wears out quickly.

Today, I went and bought FOUR new bras. I want them to last a little while longer, and I'm worried that my horrible tendency to wash and dry them (in the washer and dryer) is aiding to their quicker demises. Also, being busty, I am starting to spill out of the cup size and I'm and I refuse to go any larger (mostly because you can't find larger on any regular store shelves), so really am worried that drying them will shrink the cotton up, contributing to the demise of my bras. (BTW, weight loss does not decrease my cup size. I wish it did, I really do, but my cup size has not changed for the lower ever.)

So tell me, how do you wash your bras? Also, if any of you have used the Bra Baby, please let me know if it's worth the $10-$15 to get one. I've been debating it for a while...

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL ADVICE!!!

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    The Question:
    How do you wash and dry your bras??

The background:
    I am busty, even after a reduction. I have a hard time finding bras and when I do, I obviously wear them until they are shapeless and worthless. I have a terrible tendency to only have one bra at a time (or at least one well-fitting bra), so it wears out quickly.

Today, I went and bought FOUR new bras. I want them to last a little while longer, and I'm worried that my horrible tendency to wash and dry them (in the washer and dryer) is aiding to their quicker demises. Also, being busty, I am starting to spill out of the cup size and I'm and I refuse to go any larger (mostly because you can't find larger on any regular store shelves), so really am worried that drying them will shrink the cotton up, contributing to the demise of my bras. (BTW, weight loss does not decrease my cup size. I wish it did, I really do, but my cup size has not changed for the lower ever.)

So tell me, how do you wash your bras? Also, if any of you have used the Bra Baby, please let me know if it's worth the $10-$15 to get one. I've been debating it for a while...

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR ANY AND ALL ADVICE!!!
  • susan62
    Options
    I also have the problem of being too busty, even after my reduction. I can't stand spending the extra money on more and more bras. I've found that mine last longer if I wash them out in the sink in Wool lite and then hang them over a hanger to dry. It has pretty much doubled the life of mine, and I too think drying them decreases the cup. Hope this helps.:smile:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    2 babies = no time to hand wash....

I wash my bras along with regular clothes, in a lingerie bag, in the washing machine and with gentle detergent (all clothes get that because of sensitive skin in the house).

Then I hang to dry!

I know if you are currently losing weight, it kills to spend upwards of $100 on a specialty bra, so maybe one is the way to go for now, and just wash it at night, and it should be dry by morning!

Good luck! Once you get to your final weight, you can invest in a few that will last a while!
    :flowerforyou:
  • akellyking77
    akellyking77 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wash mine in the washing machine on cold, gentle cycle with the rest of my undies and then hang them to dry. I have had the same 4 for about a year now and just now need to replace them.

61155.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Wash them in a lingerie bag and hang them up to dry.

And where do you buy your bras? May be that you're buying from a poor quality place.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I also have the problem of being too busty, even after my reduction. I can't stand spending the extra money on more and more bras. I've found that mine last longer if I wash them out in the sink in Wool lite and then hang them over a hanger to dry. It has pretty much doubled the life of mine, and I too think drying them decreases the cup. Hope this helps.:smile:
    ditto for myself....hand wash in a Woolite or something similarly gentle and rinse very well and hang to dry in the shower on a hanger. Seems to REALLY help them keep their shape.

My size is constantly changing so I now have two and use rinse them out ever few days and keep rotating, the reason I don't purchase more is they get so big so fast and it seems a waste of money so ...I take care of the ones I have and when the 4 I had in the past, some monthes back I tossed because they were HUGE. Sounds good right? In some ways..yes, it is, but costly when you have to buy more then only have them get to large...bra's are so expensive!! ACK:noway: :grumble:

:drinker: good topic....bet you'll get lots of feedback and all sorts of input on how others do theirs as well. One reason I love to hand wash lingerie is because it smells so good ...the Woolite I suppose and keeps them in shape so much longer...doesn't seem to twist them up and all. If they need a bit of shrinking I use extra hot water. lol

Would I do this if I wanted them to last longer and was down to goal...NO WAY...I would use cold or warm depending on the label...but such is not the case ...yet:drinker:
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I hand wash mine in the sink and lay them flat to dry. It only takes about 30 minutes every couple weeks, and it really makes a difference in keeping their shape. :wink:
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Does Woolite come in unscented? I can't use anything with scents...damn sensitive skin.:grumble:
  • JessicaT2007
    JessicaT2007 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I wash mine in a garment bag. If I have clothes that need to be washed on the gentle cycle, I put it in with those, if not normal wash will do. I never dry them in the dryer tho. I just hang it over my shower curtain rod and let them air dry fora few hours.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    And where do you buy your bras? May be that you're buying from a poor quality place.

Most recently I've been buying that Gillian OMalley (or whatever it is... I don't pay much attention to the spelling) brand from Target. I've tried every brand at every store imaginable. Only these seem to have a cup that fits appropriately for my body.

While they may not be the highest quality, I'd still expect them to last me a year, if I rotated them off... six months if I wore it almost daily. Maybe my expectations are too high? Who knows. I think these are the same quality as what I've had before.... the Lane Bryant brand previously, and something highly priced from JCPenney's before that... (all of those ran about $45-$50 each bra).

One of the main perks in my mind of having a reduction was to be able to buy these "cheap" bras ($12-$25) at regular ole stores instead of having to really hunt and peck for huge bras that even began to fit me.

KEEP THE ADVICE COMING LADIES!!!
    So far it looks like I need to add Woolite and a lingerie bag to my shopping list for this evening.
    And no drying in the clothes dryer!!
    (I just hung one to air dry that I washed earlier... in the wash, out in the open:frown: but no more of that!!)
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Does Woolite come in unscented? I can't use anything with scents...damn sensitive skin.:grumble:

I'll look at the store here shortly and see :wink:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Any type of gentle detergent is going to give you what Woolite gives you - the idea behind Woolite is that is doesn't need a strong wash or rinse cycle (i.e. you can use the delicate cycle) and the detergent will rinse out and not leave residue on the clothes, or be too harsh (e.g. strip out dyes, etc).

Sunlight Sensitive, Purex Baby, Purex Sensitive, etc are great options that have no scents. Tide's brand for sensitive skin, IMHO, is still too harsh. We all have eczema in my household, so we have to keep on top of our detergent ingredients!

Good luck everyone!
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Oh boy! Well, I too am quite on the top heavy side and come from a long family history of such. I was a DDD before kids when I was skinny and now bigger. Scary because I'm only at 38 1/2. Bras are costly and it is tough to find ones that fit right. I always recommend to everyone: go to a boutique that specializes in undergarments and get fitted (especially if you have gained or lost weight or if you are a D or upwards)

I have been told to always hand wash the bras. Especially if it is an underwire. You won't loose shape and you will not break the wire. I then hang mine to dry. Once dry they stay on their special little (kid size) hangers in the closet. This too prevents them from getting banged up in a dresser drawer and accidentally damaging the item or its underwire.

The last time I purchased a garment was a year ago and I purchased 5 at that time. Just yesterday, I realized it was time to go and get 5 new ones. Keep in mind of those 5 two were just for working out at the gym. I hand wash each one after the gym (otherwise eeeewwww). They have lasted a year. That's a lot of washings considering I go to the gym at least once a day and, like today, sometimes I go twice. The everyday garments I was once a week.

It's worth the time to hand wash considering you will spend a lot of money for a good one!

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:

PS Woolite type products have always done me well....
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

I do believe it does :drinker:
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Any type of gentle detergent is going to give you what Woolite gives you - the idea behind Woolite is that is doesn't need a strong wash or rinse cycle (i.e. you can use the delicate cycle) and the detergent will rinse out and not leave residue on the clothes, or be too harsh (e.g. strip out dyes, etc).

Sunlight Sensitive, Purex Baby, Purex Sensitive, etc are great options that have no scents. Tide's brand for sensitive skin, IMHO, is still too harsh. We all have eczema in my household, so we have to keep on top of our detergent ingredients!

Good luck everyone!
    I use Purex baby and Purex sensitive...it's really cheap and works good. :laugh: Doesn't break out my skin or give me infections.
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    I mostly buy my bras at Lane Brynat and Avenue...I shop online and do sales...they have great sales if you keep an eye out for them. :bigsmile: I'm a 48ddd...which cup size isn't that bad but band size is a bit hard to find sometimes. I rarely spend more than $20 on a bra...and I get nice ones. :happy:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I mostly buy my bras at Lane Brynat and Avenue...I shop online and do sales...they have great sales if you keep an eye out for them. :bigsmile: I'm a 48ddd...which cup size isn't that bad but band size is a bit hard to find sometimes. I rarely spend more than $20 on a bra...and I get nice ones. :happy:

Wow, you DO find deals! I was always paying $40 on average for a bra from Lane Bryant.:grumble:
    Before my reduction I was a 36DDD. Never could find that size either, but always too afraid to buy online.

PS- Could only find one kind of Woolite at SuperWalmart, but it figures they wouldn't have but the basics there.
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Hey Lauryn ~ Have you tried some of the "clearance" areas at your local Nordstrom, Macy's, or even Mervyn's? When I pop in those places to grab something, I usually check their clearance areas & have found some of my favorites there for under $25.... Just a thought.... Hope your weekend is rounding out wonderful! :flowerforyou:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Hey Lauryn ~ Have you tried some of the "clearance" areas at your local Nordstrom, Macy's, or even Mervyn's? When I pop in those places to grab something, I usually check their clearance areas & have found some of my favorites there for under $25.... Just a thought.... Hope your weekend is rounding out wonderful! :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the advice.
    My main issue there is a I hate shopping.:laugh:
    Well, I use to hate shopping, back before some of that weight was gone.
    I do hate bra shopping though.
    Why does being a girl have to be so tough? :sad:

thanks for the advice though, Go Getter!:wink:
  • pinkpixies
    Options

Wow, you DO find deals! I was always paying $40 on average for a bra from Lane Bryant.:grumble:
    Before my reduction I was a 36DDD. Never could find that size either, but always too afraid to buy online.

PS- Could only find one kind of Woolite at SuperWalmart, but it figures they wouldn't have but the basics there.

If you go to lanebryant.com and sign up for their email mailing list...they send you coupons and tell you when they're having sales. :bigsmile: same with any other site too pretty much. I get emails from Lane Bryant, Avenue, Torrid, Fashion Bug, Old Navy and a few others...A lot of times on the first day of a sale online, they'll have items 80% off or more. :noway: