Eating Before or After Morning Exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i think its up to you and how you feel. I dont like to eat before... i get up at 430 am to work out and dont eat til 8 am.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I just read this article from Fitness Magazine about charging your metabolism and the importance of eating breakfast ( ):
    It will switch your metabolism from idle to high speed. That's because your level of cortisol, a hormone that helps you use calories to build muscle, is highest just before you get up in the morning. When you eat an a.m. meal, your body is primed to turn those calories into muscle pronto -- the only time during the day this happens. Take advantage of the natural torching process by having a healthy breakfast of scrambled eggs, low-fat turkey bacon, and a piece of whole-grain toast.
    If you’re going to workout soon after, I’d scale their recommendation down but keep the basic principle: slow-burning, high fiber grain + lean protein. After the workout, you’ll need something similar, which is why many people choose to have a protein shake. I like apples with peanut butter.

I love peanut butter apples.

I can't exercise on an empty stomach. I just can't get any energy up and going, and too distracted by the hunger pangs. I also feel a little sick. What I do is eat something light, like wheat toast with peanut butter, and wait a little, then do my exercise.
  • shelbyj72
    shelbyj72 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I workout on an empty stomach and I make sure I eat no later than 45mins after I workout. Some times I will drink a B12 shot if I have noo energy but I have been working out like this for 6 months I have not had any problems.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    CARDIO is best BEFORE breakfast as it's guaranteed to eat at your stores, where as eating first will only mean you're burning dietary energy, so that you're even more hungry when you're finished.

Resistance training on the other hand is completely different, you must provide your body with enough protein and slow release energy to complete the work out without putting your body into a state of catabolism.

Jammyone...I like how you think. This is exactly what I was saying. Thanks for making me feel like I am not taking crazy pills.
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Ok, I know everyone can google, but after reading what others said I googled: eat before or after workout. I read from 4 different sites and to sum it up, the majority of what I read said for weight loss, to definetly eat something small before then to eat a normal breakfast after. However you need to have disapline and control your after workout eating because your body will want to overeat. The benifit of not eating before is that you will definetly burn more fat because there arent as many carbs to get through, however it is mostly fat within the muscles that will be lost and won't make a big difference to people trying to lose weight. So, after all this, I am going to reverse my eating habits that I wrote in my last post and starting tomorrow, I will have something small (special k bar or fruit), wait 15-30 mins, do 40+ mins of cardio, then have whole grain cereal or eggs and wheat toast or something like that. I'll try to remember to let you know in a week how its going. Hope it works! If possible for you, try to lower the speed or intensity so you can get a longer workout in (I've always heard you need to get at least 30 mins cardio per workout to make it good-not sure how much truth that holds?). Good luck!

Yes that's true but it does not have to be done all at once. You can do it 6x times a day. whatever works for you.
  • FitPhysique
    FitPhysique Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    i think its up to you and how you feel. I dont like to eat before... i get up at 430 am to work out and dont eat til 8 am.
    Wow if it works for you that's great. But you should be eating within an hour of exercising to make sure your body does not start t eat lean mass, your muscles.
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I am in no way an expert - but have read and heard both arguments. Some say to eat something light before - and some say to optimize cals/fat being burned is to workout on an empty stomach. Personally, If I workout in the morning, I tend to go on an empty stomach and seems okay to me. I have a little coffee before too and heard this helps rev the metabolism as well - and get you primed for a good workout - but i'd stay away from coffee before doing cardio :sick:

IMO - try it both ways and see how you feel. I know some people who swear by the rule: eat something before the weights - and do cardio on an empty stomach in the morning.

Try it both ways and see how you feel.

good luck!
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    This is what I have been waiting for. This was my belief. Studies are coming in....ringa ding ding!!!1

http://www.thatsfit.com/2011/02/21/when-is-the-best-time-to-exercise/?icid=maing|main5|dl7|sec3_lnk1|45699
  • janellnicole2
    Options
    Interesting to read. Thanks for posting the link. I have actually been taking your advice (well sort of). I have my coffee with creamer, then exercise about an hour later after getting my kids off to school. Then eating breakfast within 30 minutes after exercising. It seems to be working. I was in a really bad slump where I couldn't get passed 15-17 lbs lost for like 2 months. Now, finally I have hit the 20 lbs lost point and I know there will be no turning back!!! I also started taking B12 Complex every morning and feel that has helped me get through my workouts. Not to mention I have been trying to watch my calories alot more lately. Any advice on that? I currently try to stay at the 1200 which MFP recommends plus my exercise cals. Sound about right?
    Thanks again for the advice!