Coffee and calories

SunLove8
SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
edited 1:53PM in Food and Nutrition
Is there really calories in coffee without anything added-just straight up black coffee? I've been on a site recently that is sort of like this one and it said coffee had 5 calories even just plain. I'm curious as whether this is really true...

Replies

• neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    I count mine as 2 calories per cup. Better to add 5 or less rather than nothing. In my opinion, every calorie counts.
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    I never knew that. I usually just count what I put in it. HMM~
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Im not sure but I can tell you one thing...I will NEVER give up my morning coffee!!!!! I dont think it will hurt us that much. we need to enjoy the simple pleasures of life!! A cup of coffee is better than the donut that used to go with it LOL
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Yes, there are calories in coffee. Depending on the brand and such. Some as low as two calories. But I have heard some black coffee has none. But again, I guess it depends on the brand you get and what they add to it.
    :)
  • SunLove8
    Im not sure but I can tell you one thing...I will NEVER give up my morning coffee!!!!! I dont think it will hurt us that much. we need to enjoy the simple pleasures of life!! A cup of coffee is better than the donut that used to go with it LOL

Heehehehheee, me too!!!
  • shezza737
    shezza737 Posts: 95 Member
    I'vealways wondered this. And depending on which coffee i click on here, i get different amounts of calories. I have skimmed milk in mine ( no sugar or sweetener) but the coffee i select on here - one cup of nescafe coffee with skimmed milk - comes up at 30 calories.
    I just go with that now, but i have no idea if it is actually correct (does seem a lot to me) but like others have said, i would rather allow more than not enough.

But no way will i give up coffee either - i have about 4 cups a day too so that amounts to 120 of my daily calories.
  • Drea1713
    Drea1713 Posts: 13
    I also heard 5 cals but that's really not that much to enjoy heaven in a cup IMO. It's the stuff you put in it that has calories. I still use ful, fat and sugar in my cup lol I hate artificial sweetners. But I count my coffee into my cals. And I will gladly intake them that way
  • while i believe it is important to be diligent with logging everything you put into your body. I still feel that 5 calories is neglegible. don't sweat in. count it as 5 or 0, whichever youre more comfortable with.
  • SunLove8
    I count mine as 2 calories per cup. Better to add 5 or less rather than nothing. In my opinion, every calorie counts.

I agree as well. Just NEVER heard of black coffee (unflavored without anything added) having calories. Even MFP's database doesn't count the calories on plain black coffee. I think I'll def start doing it.
  • ChelseaRW
    ChelseaRW Posts: 366 Member
    This is my only vice...I cannot nor will not(lol) EVER give it up. Jillian Michaels gives herself chocolate daily and I give myself my coffee with creamer every day. Black coffee is minimal calories but I have to have it with creamer(its my sweet fix for most of the day) and I keep my total intake under 200 calories. For some reason 1TBSP just isn't enough per cup. Fellow coffee lovers unite!
  • surra
    surra Posts: 33
    I could see flavored coffee being a little more calories than non flavored. When they make flavored coffee, they take a blend of beans and soak them in flavored oils.
  • I log about 7 calories for a standard tumbler of black coffee. I am forced to use a French Press at the office. The coffee at work is horrible. You can taste the last three years of coffee in every pot. :(
  • EvilMomma
    EvilMomma Posts: 70 Member
    I drink 1-2 cups each morning and its my vice. I drink it with real sugar (3 cubes) and real, heavy cream (2 tblsp, about). I make allowance for it in my total calories (1400) because I am in this for life and I won't give up the real pleasures. I don't do chocolate, I don't eat potato chips. Most mornings I have a single cup. This morning---2. Such is life. It means that I eat less at lunch.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    I don't know if it's accurate or not but better to have eaten fewer calories. I use the Coffee - Brewed from grounds option and enter it by size cup I make (as I change the amount of added coffee) I don't know what they base it on - tablespoon, teaspoon of grounds or what, but my 20 oz cup (black) usually runs about 6 calories. I don't use sugar and only add 1oz of 2% milk (16 cals) so my coffee is only 22 calories. I don't know if it makes a difference either but I mix mine 50/50 regular and decaf so it might even actually be less.
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I do like my cappuccino's. My version anyway... I measured everything out & comes in under 70 cals. And that includes the caramel drizzle! (or skip the drizzle & it's about 45 cals) When I need a treat, that's what I make!
    Can you count black coffee or tea as water? WW used to be if it was decaf, you could count 1-2 a day, the rest they preferred you to drink water, but that was a long time ago, don't know about that now.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    I agree as well. Just NEVER heard of black coffee (unflavored without anything added) having calories. Even MFP's database doesn't count the calories on plain black coffee. I think I'll def start doing it.
    I don't know if you're using their standard entry or another one but the brewed from grounds I use has about 6 cals without anything (20 oz)
  • jessalice66
    jessalice66 Posts: 47 Member
    you're brave to even have coffee straight up. it depends on the brand to how many calories it has but it wont be extremely high cal. personally i like green tea... now thats definitely a no cal treat!!
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    I have 2-3 cups of coffee every single day. If I don't, I'm mean to everyone. It is better this way. I still stay under my goals most of the time. The way I look at it, at least it isn't cheesecake.
  • 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    I'm not a big coffee drinker, but I do like my cappuccino's. My version anyway... I measured everything out & comes in under 70 cals. And that includes the caramel drizzle! (or skip the drizzle & it's about 45 cals) When I need a treat, that's what I make!
    Can you count black coffee or tea as water? WW used to be if it was decaf, you could count 1-2 a day, the rest they preferred you to drink water, but that was a long time ago, don't know about that now.

I've read articles that have said that tea hydrates you just as well as water so I count it. I'm not sure about Coffee.. if I make iced coffee I count it.
  • superwmn
    superwmn Posts: 936
    Maybe, but it's so low that I just consider it 'free'. Some people log every calorie (and everyone has to do what is right for them), but I know I didn't gain my weight by drinking too much black coffee. Or from putting too much salsa on my food. Or from eating too many steamed veggies.

Charmagne
This discussion has been closed.