Why do I sabotage my success?

Options
Hey all,

So last night I was amazingly happen to see how good I did all day! So my little brain stupidly decided to get pizza for dinner.

Now that wasn't the worst part...the worst part was that it didn't taste good but I still had 4 pieces. WHY!?

What part of my brain is like " Hey this is a wicked good idea...it might be disgusting but you should totally still eat this weirdo pizza..oh and while you at it have some microwaved chicken nuggetts too!"

I know it's wrong but I still do it. At that moment it makes perfect sense. I don't know why I didn't log it before I ate it to see the horrendous damage I was doing to myself.

This always seems to happen when I lose a few lbs too. Like something deep inside me is telling me to stay at this same weight.

How do I stop this? Are there any tricks you guys can share?

HELP!

Replies

• hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    When I first started trying to eat better, I used to find myself doing this all the time. I knew it was bad for me, but I ate it any way. Now that I have been trying to lose weight for some time and have been successful, I find it much easier to choose the healthier meal and eat less. Just last night my wife decided we had to go out to dinner and I chose the vegan pasta dish over some much better sounding foods. Would I have done that 3 months ago? Most likely not. My meal was delicious and much better for me then what I could have had.
  • mrscjwilson
    mrscjwilson Posts: 252
    Options
    I am totally in the same boat with you rowing in the opposite direction....I did this just last night! made an amazing healthy dinner for the family and decieded I needed something sweet....why do I always have to have something sweet I dont know??? Not sure when that started...buy now even my little boy tells me mom I need something sweet, or are we having desert.....a few months back he came to me all freaked out because he said mom! My sweet tooth is falling out (he had a loose tooth) but the point is the poor kid thinks he's born with a flippin sweet tooth cause that's all his mom talks about....I dont have the answers as to why we sabatoge our success but for now the important thing is to get back to rowing the boat and finding the passenger that will help you row in the right direction....Im willing to give it my best shot....everday is a new day to start over until I finally get it right. Its either that or let go and get as big as a house and that is just not an option.
  • godsgiftjcp
    Options
    I think that losing weight is a change that you have to really be mentally ready for. If you are not completely ready for it, you will always have times like that. I used to all the time and thats why Im the size I am. Now, I finally am mentally ready and I see all that other food and nasty once I found out how much it was hurting me. So think about if you are really ready to change your lifestyle and when you are, overcoming temptations like pizza will be no problem at all!!!!!!!
  • fanullona
    fanullona Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i do the same thing! i was down 15lbs then didnt weigh in for a few weeks - im back up. way up! i'd love some suggestions and help too!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I'll lose, and be all proud of myself, and then go and eat like a ton and gain it all back. Not sure why I do it, it's almost like I see the results and am like, oh, this is easy, I don't have to try as hard now. Or subconsiously my body panics when it sees me getting smaller and is like 'feed me, even though you're not hungry, stuff your face with everything in sight anyway'. It's super frustrating!
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I seem to have phases where i literally cannot stop eating and i will happily eat bread and cheese and go way over...until the next morning when i realise how stupid i've been. I seem to have this for 2/3 days and then sort of grow out of it, be good for a couple weeks and then hit a bit of a mental wall again. Generally when i'm lonely,bored or stressing out (avoiding work!)
    I dont givemyself days off or cheat days and try not eat chocolate/crisps/cheeseor anything like that so i'm thinking about giving myself a meal every week where i can eat what i want (within reason).

Do you youallow yourselfsmall treats or the chance to eat something you wouldn't normally? Maybe you just need a day off occasionally where you dontlog every calorie and think about what you're eating all the time. it seems to work well for some people!
  • Nursebeachnut
    Options
    I try to visualize the time it will take me the next day to delete the food/calories that I am going to put in my mouth. If I know that no less than a hour or more on the treadmill will make it go away, I either change my mind and don't eat it or just take a taste and chew it for as long as I can to savor it. This almost always works. No matter how it turns out I absolutly do less sabotage and create more positive reinforcement. Good luck! Stay strong!
  • PattyTheUndefeated
    PattyTheUndefeated Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I did the same last night. I've been doing so well and I woke up yesterday feeling awesome. I actually looked in the mirror and I'm starting to see ABS! But then I remembered that I tore my knee and couldn't go to the gym. I felt anxious all day. I finally caved and threw a little pity party for myself because I was injured so I ate through a WHOLE box of Kashi Cereal, five or six granola bars, and almost an entire bag of Salt & Vinegar Crispers. I didn't even like the Crispers but I ate them all anyway. We self-sabotage ourselves when we don't feel worthy enough of the good we're doing, or when anxiety hits, or when we don't feel like what we're doing is enough. We live in black and white when things should sometimes just be gray. I tried to justify the bazillion calories I ate by telling myself that I'll work it all off at the gym and that I'm 'skinny' now. I think it's also a matter of entitlement too. 'Well, I'm doing SO well and I'm not like that fat chick I used to be so I'm gonna eat what I WANT whether it tastes good or not"....

Hope this makes sense. I struggle every day. Losing the weight was only my first step. The addiction is one thing you can't burn off. :D
  • hollyknouse
    hollyknouse Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Right there with ya! I have been there so many times. You have to find something else to do or throw it away (I hate wasting, but we do what we have to). I would get up and brush my teeth so the food wouldn't taste good anymore. Its a mind thing every single day! I hate that its such a huge struggle for us! Pizza is one of my biggest trigger foods. I can't stop at 4 pieces and then I can't stop the ice cream and sweets after! Good luck girl, log on to MFP or do whatever you can to take your mind off of the food!!
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Do you feel like you're denying yourself good food with the rest of your diet? Sometimes I try to eat healthy and end up eating things that are good for me but not so good tasting, and then I end up binge-eating a bunch of junk food or fat-filled meals. Do some research, find some good recipes and healthy snacks so that eating right isn't a chore. And remember, it's ok to treat yourself, but you have to set limits. Oh, and if the pizza sucks, put it down and find something that tastes better. Don't waste your "treats" on stuff that doesn't even taste good. If you have an uncontrollable urge to run to the fridge or the snack drawer, go for a walk, make a phone call, do some cleaning... anything to pre-occupy yourself for a few minutes until it passes. Finally, don't be too hard on yourself for indulging once in a while, and definitely DO NOT think that once you've started to indulge, you've ruined your diet and you might as well keep going. Good luck!
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    It's normal, so you don't need to panic. This has been happening to me lately. After losing 27 pounds, and tasting good food during my Mom's birthday party around Valentine's Day, I lost all self control. I had regained 7 pounds that weekend alone, and have had trouble losing it since that time. It seems like my body and mind is rebelling.

I have improved on this by doing a lot of self-talk. It sounds silly, but I talk to myself in a disciplinary way similar to the way you would with a child, and it's working. I tell myself, "Stop eating now, it won't be good for you to continue." I also find that eating an orange when I am still hungry has cut my appetite. I prefer the extra 60 calories as opposed to an extra 200.

I think when you have been dieting, you occasionally come across times you are overly excited to taste high fat, high salt, and highly sweetened foods that you find that you can't stop eating them. Just pick yourself back up, and keep going. Don't lose hope or be too hard on yourself, because weight loss is a journey.
  • Sherri0706
    Options
    I am so glad to see that I am not the only one who does this! I spent last weekend indulging my sweet tooth. It's frustrating at times, but I am determined to keep at this until I reach my goal. I do find that if I log a majority of my foods into my diary in the morning, it helps me keep on track. I also look up foods at restaurants beforehand so I know the best meal to order.
  • warhukker
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up.You need to ask yourself what is going on with the rest
    of your life,are you an emotional eater.The main thing is the very next day get back on your program.When I use to do what you
    did,I would do the old "I'll start back Monday",and then binge the rest of the week.I found myself eating more because{ "I will
    start Monday"}like an addict getting high before rehab.You need to realize that this is a lifetime struggle,and one night of pizza
    does not ruin your goal.This will happen again,but the times will become fewer,and far between.Good Luck.
  • sarahjrrr_
    Options
    Instead of rewarding yourself with food you could try and get into the habit of rewarding yourself with other things instead. Like a new item of clothing you've wanted for ages or just something you love, that way you have something solid to remind you of your sucess, everytime you see or wear it you'll think "I earned this!". And also your mind would be thinking "damn I can't do anything that will cause me not to fit in this new dress". Each night I 'reward myself' for a good day with a mug of hot chocolate before bed (cadbury's highlights, it's low cal, only 40 calories and 3g of sugar a mug) or I drink Pepsi Max (that really satisfies my sweet tooth!)
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Aside from taking a breath and pausing before each bite (so that you can’t eat unconscious, but have to think about what you’re putting in your mouth) I don’t think are any tricks. But you are asking the right question: Why do you self-sabotage?

For me, self-sabotage is generally the result fear. And yes, we can be afraid of receiving the exact thing we’re working so hard to achieve. The only way to stop it is to face that fear dead in the face and doing the internal work it takes to move past it.

I’m not saying that it’s easy, only that I believe it’s necessary. And, since we are imperfect, some days…the fear will win. That’s when we need to turn away from self-sabotage and into self-forgiveness. No dwelling, no self-punishment. Reflect, learn, and move on.
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I tend to record my food before I eat it.. if I see the calories/sodium/fat and realize it is too much, I'll cut it in half, add a salad, or skip it all together! If i know i'll be in a situation where pizza or restaurant foods are my only options (like tonight, I am meeting my 2 friends at Bahama Breeze), I search the menu high and wide for choices and pick something decent for myself and make sure I will have enough cals by exercising hard core that day. I'll also try to have a snack before dinner so I don't eat a lot (tonight we're not meeting until 8, ugh!... so I'll definitely be having a fiber bar or something to hold me over!
  • sincitylulu
    Options
    I have to say this happens to me too. It's like logic goes out the window. It's like you know you should not but you do. lol The only thing to do is not punish yourself and just act as if it didn't happen. Got back to your normal routine right away, the next day.
  • esorcel
    esorcel Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I tend to record my food before I eat it.. if I see the calories/sodium/fat and realize it is too much, I'll cut it in half, add a salad, or skip it all together! If i know i'll be in a situation where pizza or restaurant foods are my only options (like tonight, I am meeting my 2 friends at Bahama Breeze), I search the menu high and wide for choices and pick something decent for myself and make sure I will have enough cals by exercising hard core that day. I'll also try to have a snack before dinner so I don't eat a lot (tonight we're not meeting until 8, ugh!... so I'll definitely be having a fiber bar or something to hold me over!

When you skip eating, it certainly makes you over eat later. That happened to me last night. I was ravishing everything. Now I make sure I don't go hungry for long to a point that I am starving.
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    last night i too wanted something sweet..i logged on with my droid...looked in my cabinet and chose to make sugar free jello..yummy...
  • PoorGirlEatingHealthy
    Options
    I am trying to do that but money is tight and it's unfortunately easier to convince my husband to eat cheese then it is to convince him i need cute pants lol