mens cologne question for everyone

Options
Now that i am starting to date again (scary as hell i must add) took some huge blows to the old emotion maker :brokenheart: I was just curious what colognes do the lovely lovely women of mfp prefer and what the guys have found gets compliments.
I usually wear stetson untamed, because it just seems to fit me best. Ya know im like that untamed wild stallion thats just waiting to be broke.:wink: For real though, i have found its gets alot of nice compliments during a slow dance and since most women are chest level to me and i love slow dancing. I really have thought about it lately. just wondering!

Replies

• nichols
    nichols Posts: 240
    Options
    Now that i am starting to date again (scary as hell i must add) took some huge blows to the old emotion maker :brokenheart: I was just curious what colognes do the lovely lovely women of mfp prefer and what the guys have found gets compliments.
    I usually wear stetson untamed, because it just seems to fit me best. Ya know im like that untamed wild stallion thats just waiting to be broke.:wink: For real though, i have found its gets alot of nice compliments during a slow dance and since most women are chest level to me and i love slow dancing. I really have thought about it lately. just wondering!
  • Mufasa0331
    Mufasa0331 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I personally prefer "desire" by Dunhill

but a very popular one is Cool Water.. its an oldie but a goodie.. also try AXE...seriously that stuff smells hella good :)

Try to get samples from department stores because colognes/perfumes react different with ppl's natural scents/chemicals (is the word im looking for perhmones lol??)

Take a friend/family memeber along too because they will tell you honestly how something smells on you vs the person at the sale's counter trying to get a commission (unless they are a brutally honest bia like me hahahaha---wonder why I'm not in retail anymore??)
  • monica5237
    Options

Well darlin you can wear just about anything and a woman will like it!! I don't know of anything that would turn off a woman. Just make sure you don't put on too much that can be a big turn off and make sure you just smell good!!!!!

I know all too well the dating game all too well and it does stink sometimes but it can be fun too!!!! just have fun is the key
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    There are a number of us out here who are allergic to perfumes and colognes. So if you meet a special someone it might be worthwhile to find out if she is allergic to prior to setting off allergies or asthma.

I hope you meet the right slow-dancing partner soon, with or without the scent.:heart:
  • MsLadybug
    Options
    My suggestion is less is more. Too much cologne is a huge turn-off.
  • nichols
    Options
    I use very little cologne (one squirt on the collar and one on the wrist) and as far as axe goes that is a must i have found.:smile: As far as allergies and asthma goes. very good point thank you. i guess if she starts sneezing all over me, ill just have to go and buy another shirt to finish out the date.:smile:
  • Starlightdusk
    Starlightdusk Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    personally I find any Polo cologne smells amazing and all of my friends do too, we can smell a polo guy when he walks by and want to follow him. I think it is sweet that you asked though, good luck with your dating!
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Polo!!! Absolutely without a doubt.... If I'm walking past a guy, or in an elevator (and I recognize the scent) ..I always find myself say something out loud when I smell it.... Something to the effect of "mmmm, ahhh Someone's wearing POLO".... and you can always tell in the crowd who's wearing it by the small smile that makes it's way across their face, a teeny bit red in the face but they always seem to enjoy hearing a woman compliment them about their cologne choice.

Usually after I've been dating someone for a bit and they don't already wear it...LOL They get it as a gift, mmmmmmmmm mmm mmm!:laugh: :tongue: :wink:

Good point on someone mentioning allergies, I don't have any but it seems more and more woman (men?) do and it's a tough thing to know in advance so like suggested perhaps a light touch at the beginning?

I think I would as a guy I might find it hard to ask if they had allergy issues right up front..then bring up that you had planned on wearing cologne if they didn't. :noway:

But I'm not a guy and I can see myself asking something like that to a guy...but I'm pretty assertive (not aggresive ew!:noway: ) that way...as I'd want to have the person feel comfortable and not get an instant headache as some woman I know do when they are around scented things.

Best to you...you seem like a sweet guy, just be yourself and you'll do fine.:wink:

Mabye try what you enjoy and already have for starters... as you get to know one another you can get into a conversation about her favorite scents (guys or girls) and take it from there.

I really think this is such an individual taste for each of us. :happy:

Did I mention POLO? oh, sorry I couldn't remember if I mentioned POLO yet or not!:tongue:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    personally I find any Polo cologne smells amazing and all of my friends do too, we can smell a polo guy when he walks by and want to follow him. I think it is sweet that you asked though, good luck with your dating!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :wink: tee hee hee....oh so true...I was writing my post as you sent yours I think. Another Polo girl!! :drinker: Yes, there's just something about that Polo guy...that pulls you right in:laugh: :wink:
  • jamniknat
    Options
    My husband wears Driven by Derek Jeter and it smells really good. To my knowledge the only way to get it is through Avon thats where I bought his. Your Avon lady will probably have samples of it. My husbands brother was like "oh my God James you smell good give me a hug!" so apparently men like it a lot too. So thats a good thing because you don't want to wear something that stinks to you but "the ladies" love! Also a lot of colognes smell really strong because its supposed to be "manly" and thats not how this one is, its manly but sweet which would make you look good because thats kindof what women want in a man. Anyways good luck to ya!
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    obsession for men. When my husband wears this I love it, but like the other ladies said just a hint is all you need. Good luck!:love:
  • jill927
    jill927 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Kenneth Cole - Black :love:

Just the smell brings naughty thoughts... i mean... :flowerforyou:

ps Stetson is also a VERY solid choice.
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    You can try pacsuns- dv8 or they have a few others -- your cologne is something personal though -- if the smell of it doesn't suit your personality then you are setting your self back alittle -- you don't see teenagers wearing stetson or old spice for a reason :laugh: You should make a trip to the mall and hit the testers for something that suits you! you'd be surprised what that one right smell can do:wink:
  • nichols
    Options
    Thats funny you saying it has to fit your personality. I worked the ranch for many years and am an officer now but still wear my wrangler jeans, georgia cowboy boots, and a fawn colored cowboy hat almost every where i go when im off duty. its just what i feel comfortable in. maybe thats why im drawn to the stetson cologne line so much. because it kinda sweet yet rugged at the same time.
  • nicolet04
    Options
    aqua de gio and armani code by george armani are the best ever!!!!!!!!!!!
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Depends on your price range. So how about lower price range - good ol' fashioned Old Spice is still quite nice (kind of like old faithfu - makes my heart pitter patterl) or even Axe. Mid range Drakar Noir or Realm, Cool Water or Domain (Domain is from Mary Kay but others you can get about anywhere). I'm not going into the higher end ones only because you could get 2 or 3 mid range ones and that way have a nice variety to start with.:wink: Fortunately there are also a variety of sizes to choose from, so try a few smaller ones to see what is making a hit for you with the ladies - and isn't variety a spice of life....

As far as when and where. When - anytime (women love a man who smells yummy at any time of the day). Where - your only limit is what you decide - even the gym is ok (cologne is way better than sweat :noway: and Old Spice or Axe may be a good choice here). :tongue:

The only thing you should limit yourself to is how much - usually one to two spritz goes plenty far. Just remember you will have a top note of fragrance for about 15 minutes or so then hit the mid range scent thereafter (this is the part usually most attractive to women).

Hope you have fun with it! - Keep us posted on your results (we may have to shop too)
  • jlwhelan1
    Options
    As far as when and where. When - anytime (women love a man who smells yummy at any time of the day). Where - your only limit is what you decide - even the gym is ok (cologne is way better than sweat :noway: and Old Spice or Axe may be a good choice here). :tongue:

Nooo, please not the gym. I'll take sweat FAR over an instant sinus headache, asthma, and, if I don't get out of there quickly enough possibly even a hospital visit. (Natural scents, flowers, lavender oils, they don't do this to me, it is the artificial scents that do it...)

The entire floor of the building I work on is now fragrance free, and I've noticed most doctor's offices and hospitals are moving that direction too.

I do really appreciate how much some people like to smell good. I really do appreciate how much some people like to smell it. I don't want to intrude on anyone's pleasure. But there are some of us who it is a serious health hazard. If I were single and dating I would not give a guy who wears cologne a chance. I would get too sick too fast to hold a conversation. I would move away or leave. But I know I am in the far minority, and I know I'm not on the market....but not the gym...please...some things are sacred. :wink:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :noway:

Nooo, please not the gym. I'll take sweat FAR over an instant sinus headache, asthma, and, if I don't get out of there quickly enough possibly even a hospital visit. I can smell cologne/perfume or cigarette smoke if the person in the car ahead of me has it. I have to cross the sidewalk if someone has walked by with perfume in the past few minutes. (Natural scents, flowers, lavender oils, they don't do this to me, it is the artificial scents that do it...)

The entire floor of the building I work on is now fragrance free, and I've noticed most doctor's offices and hospitals are moving that direction too.

I do really appreciate how much some people like to smell good. But there are some of us who it is a serious health hazard. If I were single and dating I would not give a guy who wears cologne a chance. I would get too sick too fast to hold a conversation. I would move away or leave. But I know I am in the far minority, and I know I'm not on the market....but not the gym...please...some things are sacred. :wink:

EW :noway:..EW EW...please not the gym!! :noway: :sad:

yes I agree some places should be left sacred. I do quite a bit of water aerobics and it's such a killer when the woman come in with their hair all done up, all sorts of varieties of perfumes, powers, and THEN are afraid to get wet!:laugh: :drinker: :drinker: :grumble: HELLO! We're in the POOL!!...:drinker:

I don't have cologne/fragrance allergy per se...but in closed up areas such as the locker rooms and yes, even the pool when folks are in close proximety it's a killer, it closes up my throat (well, then perhaps i do have a sensitivity)...try keeping your heart rate up and only being able to breath from your throat up...UGH

I have one instructor that I love and go to most often that is terribly effected by the fragrances and gets an instant serious migraine on the spot...and she's still got several classes to take on yet even after. UGH I do feel sorry for her so I give her a lil warning signal when someone um, smelly (fragrance wise) heads over toward her...but she really can't get away from it when she's the one teaching.

I do think showers before pool time is very kind and yes even have signs but seems no one uses the shower before the pool to wash off all the lotions, perfumes and such...so we swim in it. :laugh: :noway:

Oh back on more of the topic...ah did I mention POLO for guys?:laugh: :tongue:
  • nichols
    Options
    Price is really not an object for me. The only reason i stay clear of high priced colognes honestly, is because i once bought a 200 dollar bottle of cologne that was supposed to have pheromones in it or something. The first woman who asked what i was wearing, said really that stuff is expensive and smells like money to me. It was given to my freind that nite, because i am pretty laid back and simple and that is not the kind of woman i am looking for.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    Price is really not an object for me. The only reason i stay clear of high priced colognes honestly, is because i once bought a 200 dollar bottle of cologne that was supposed to have pheromones in it or something. The first woman who asked what i was wearing, said really that stuff is expensive and smells like money to me. It was given to my freind that nite, because i am pretty laid back and simple and that is not the kind of woman i am looking for.
    :

Wiki says: "Produced by one or the other sex, aggregation pheromones attract individuals of both sexes"

.:wink: mmm even Sweat has pheromones in it!! When you're attracted to someone...well, ya just are..whether it's their sweat or ........whatever else:noway: ....sheesh I think I need to take a break from posting again and head to bed. :tongue:

So I can go sweat at the gym for a 2-3 in the a.m.:yawn: :yawn: