Struggling to eat my calories

Options
AbbyCar
AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
I know, I know. I'm one of those people that everyone hates because I have the opposite problem that they do as far as eating. I am finding it very hard to eat all or most of my calories per day. It just goes against everything everyone always told me as far as eat less, work out more and you'll lose more weight. I even had an endocrinologists tell me once to try a 1,000 calorie diet.

Anyway, I know it works, so I'm trying. My problem is that I'm having trouble getting enough calories from healthy food in order to meet my requirements. Any ideas out there? I still have 500 some odd calories left for the day and that's with an afternoon snack and supper already figured in. Feel free to look at my diary.

Thanks!

Replies

• traceytoo
    traceytoo Posts: 163
    Options
    :bigsmile: bump
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Half a cup of unsalted dry roasted Almonds (79 grams) is about 477 calories. That would get you almost your 500.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, nuts, and avocados are a great way to pack in the calories with healthy foods. Fruit juices can also be a quick way to get them in, just get a 100% juice, not a juice cocktail
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    bump

I have the same issue. I find myself ending the day with way too many cals still needing to eat and I cant.
    I would only end up vomiting if I over eat.
    I too have had Dr's tell me that I just need to eat what I can and workout.But that goes with the WL surgery I had.
    I am not like everyone else on here either
  • ♥BETHANY♥
    Options
    I have the same problem sometimes but usually I just do my best to eat what I can. Last night I had 1198 calories left to eat and I couldn't eat all of that and that is with BF,LNCH,DNR, & snacks. I work out daily so that takes me up in calories so ya like I said I just do my best!
  • KerryLee78
    Options
    Pistachio nuts are also high in calories and the unsalted kind is healthy.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i had/have the same problem... and nuts (dry roasted, no salt or oil added) nuts have sure helped me.
  • amycrims
    amycrims Posts: 94
    Options
    After reading your message, I was like really?! are you serious? but then i looked at your diary and I actually think you're doing just fine. I know its important to eat back your calories, but if you exercised off 1500 calories in a day, I don't think you need to be eating back all that unless you're Michael Phelps training for the the olymipcs or something. Women are supposed to eat around 1500-2000 calories a day to maintain on average. If you were eating 800 and saying you are so full already I'd say, you probably have an eating disorder, but this looks just right : )
  • JennaStewart
    Options
    I am having the same problem. Each day I have been getting better, but I am just not hungry. I know that my body needs 1200 calories to get all the nutrients it needs. I have been doing a lot of reading and spoke with my doctor and have decided that I am going to start to drink a slimfast, Kellogs protein shake etc in between meals to help add some calories. Maybe that would help you as well?
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    Half a cup of unsalted dry roasted Almonds (79 grams) is about 477 calories. That would get you almost your 500.

You can only eat so many and then the fat count starts getting too high.

I also have the same problem. I usually have about 500 to 1000 calories left by the time I go to bed but only so much in my fat count left.
  • maxthecat200
    Options
    Hi Abby,
    My name is Laura and I'm using the site to lose weight, but my husband, Steve, is using it to gain weight. We looked at your diary and you're not eating much meat (protein) or carbs (potatoes, pasta, rice and bread). I would try a little more of those, as long as you choose wholegrain or wholewheat varieties.

As far as the protein goes, why not try some fish? It's stil low in fat but high in protein.

Hope this helps, feel free to add me as a friend, my profile name is BeastieGirl (but I'm nice, really lol!)

Laura x
  • BECav0602
    BECav0602 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Nuts are a great, healthy source of calories. How did you burn 987 calories from exercise? I would say you are doing fine. I am at 1400 calories a day and I typically eat around 1700-1800 after burning 550 calories from exercise.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

You can only eat so many and then the fat count starts getting too high.

I also have the same problem. I usually have about 500 to 1000 calories left by the time I go to bed but only so much in my fat count left.

Which is why I don't count fat. Fat is not evil in and of itself except maybe trans-fats. Saturated fats in too high a quantity is not good, but smaller quantities are fine. Other fats, as long as you don't go over your calories are fine. Fat does not in and of itself make you fat. It is just the most calorie dense food out there. The fats in most nuts are very good for you, and your body needs them.
  • RockaholicMama
    RockaholicMama Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I was having the same problem. MFP wanted me to eat 2300 daily calories. It just wasn't happening. I spoke with my dietitian on base and she said it was ok to over ride MFP and do a custom calorie count. She put me at 1500 calories daily and I'm doing MUCH better.