Foods that increase you metabolism

Options
Deb2chef
Deb2chef Posts: 43 Member
Just a quick note on some good foods that help your metabolism and so help weight loss

Apples
Celery
Spinach
Cayenne pepper
Tuna
Sprouts
Broccili
Cauliflower
Spices various but mostly all
Salsa
Lean meats like chicken,turkey, beef (must be lean

and Green tea

Replies

• Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Ooooh, a yummy list!
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    That's great! Sounds like all my favorite things...except apples!
  • jackal75
    jackal75 Posts: 95
    Options
    Nice.

Been having spinach in my salads for quite a while. Have to fight the kids for the apples. Love the normandy mix (Broccoli, Califlower, Carrots) and have that often. Eating lots of chicken and pork on this diet.

Sad thing is that salsa helps my metabolism, but the chips are just too damn costly calorie-wise. Sad because it is one of my very favorite snacks... you might say it's my weakness or vise even. :grumble:
  • TOYGRRRL
    TOYGRRRL Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    YAY! Thanks for posting. It's aways a good reminder to see a list of the good things we can eat that help us along in this healthy lifestyle journey.
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Nice.

Been having spinach in my salads for quite a while. Have to fight the kids for the apples. Love the normandy mix (Broccoli, Califlower, Carrots) and have that often. Eating lots of chicken and pork on this diet.

Sad thing is that salsa helps my metabolism, but the chips are just too damn costly calorie-wise. Sad because it is one of my very favorite snacks... you might say it's my weakness or vise even. :grumble:

I have actually been using salsa to dip my chicken and various things in. I used to use Ranch, but it is so high in calories! The salsa has been a great low-cal substitute!!
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    here are some more suggestions:

Vegetables
    High Energy Foods

Here is a handy list of high energy foods which you could attempt to integrate into your daily diet. A high energy food can supply your body with additional energy needed to get through the day.

The list of vegetables which supply your body with high amounts of energy is exhaustive.
    The main foods in the vegetable area which provide high amounts of energy are; sprouts, broccoli, asparagus and spinach.

Nuts
    Some nuts are a great energy source and are often very suited to a quick snack. Almonds, peanuts and soy nuts are perfect for this example.

Yogurt
    Yogurt is full of vitamin-B, and this vitamin helps your body convert other nutrients into energy. You should not eat excessive amounts of yogurt due to the fat content. You could eat a nut yogurt to mix the yogurt and nut energy foods into one snack.

Eggs
    Eggs are a great source of energy, and this food will supply a high amount of protein throughout the working day. Some experts advise not to eat more than three eggs a week, so try to mix your weeks food plan up with other high energy foods.

Orange & Other Fruit Juice
    Vitamin C can help to reduce levels of fatigue, which will keep you going all day long. As with many other vitamins, too much vitamin C can be bad for your body, so drink these juices in moderation.
    Citrus fruits are also very good in providing vitamin C, a great example of this is the main ingredient in the fairly new lemon detox diet.

Beans & Lentils
    Beans and lentils are a great source of potassium and carbohydrates. Kidney beans, lentils, baked beans and many others provide a great source of energy for your body.

Seeds
    Sunflower and pumpkin seeds are also a great source of energy for your body. These are great as a stand-alone snack, and also combined with other ingredients in nut bars.
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I drink a lot of green tea! =)
  • jackal75
    jackal75 Posts: 95
    Options

I have actually been using salsa to dip my chicken and various things in. I used to use Ranch, but it is so high in calories! The salsa has been a great low-cal substitute!!

I will have to find more uses for salsa, and yours is a good one. Another sad diet casualty is that I used to love doing up an eggs ranchero breakfast, but I had to limit my egg intake due to cholesterol concerns.
  • virgo1978
    virgo1978 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It's my new shopping list! :laugh:
  • Laurathabomb
    Laurathabomb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Love the list!
  • jdrop
    jdrop Posts: 24
    Options
    I've done salsa with veggies instead of chips, and it seems to be pretty yummy.

You can also make your own, which I highly recommend since it's fresh and you can remove a lot of the bad stuff for you (sodium, etc).
  • Deb2chef
    Options
    It is a shame about the chips. I have purchased a tefal actifry so i can still have them from time to time and ONLY 4% Fat yahoo
  • Artist51
    Artist51 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i will make a list of these once i find my way around MFP:wink:
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I so LOVe cayenne pepper. I put it in most of my meals :)
  • Deb2chef
    Options
    Will try to add recipe tomorow for home made salsa for you
  • tommieptac
    tommieptac Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Spinach Baby - Dole Spinach, 1.5 ounces 10 calories
    Great Value - Mild Cheddar Shredded Cheese, 1/6 cup 55 calories
    Eggs - Scrambled (whole egg), 1 large 101 calories
    Mission Tortillas Plus! - 96% Fat Free Whole Wheat Tortilla, 1 Tortilla 130 calories

Then I add about a tablespoon of salsa and it is so good!! with the protein and the fiber, it keeps me satisfied.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    thx
  • cniven
    cniven Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Another great tip for your eggs is adding a can of tuna at the end of frying them and adding a bit of salsa. You can choose to put them in a pita if you want some healthy carbs, or if you're limiting your carb intake you can easily eat it straight from a bowl!! :)
  • wellsar
    wellsar Posts: 24
    Options
    Cottage cheese and lemon juice (add a little to your water).
  • slindsey137
    slindsey137 Posts: 214 Member
    Options

If you really want chips and salsa, you can bake some cut up whole wheat flour tortillas, or some corn tortillas, less sodium at the very least. I don't remember exactly how to do it (and Im not at home to look at the recipe I have) but if your interested let me know.