Ideas for foods low in sodium

Options
Need ideas of foods that are lower in sodium that still taste good, filling, easily available and not very expensive......any ideas? This is my first week and I go WAY over my sodium level everyday. Will this affect my weight loss?

Replies

• ilvpsu
    ilvpsu Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but it seems like the more stuff you eat that is prepared, out of a can, microwave meals, etc...the more sodium in there. Also, cheese although good for calcium and protein has some salt.... and you will retain water with more salt in your system. I'm not sure how much water once can retain, but a gallon of water weights 8 pounds...so, who knows how much is hanging out in tissues making your weight heavier. Drink lots of water, that does help to flush it out., but try to go with more fresh, less canned stuff.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Sodium will make you retain more water than normal. I am trying to drop my sodium intake as well. I find that most pre-packaged and canned items are high in sodium. So I took to making my own version of those items at home from fresh ingredients and then freezing them for future use. Things like Pinto beans can have nearly all the sodium removed from them when you make your own at home. I like Mexican foods so I wanted a better refried/whole bean choice to eat.

Just watch your log and see where you are logging things high in sodium and think of replacements for them to lower the sodium. It can be done, but it is certainly not easy in this society of high sodium foods.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    What you may find when you start getting rid of sodium is you find food does not taste as good without it. Spices help with that, and know that you will soon find the natural flavor of food is far superior to the taste we have all gotten used to with all the sodium we use in our culture.
  • nkaplosinit
    nkaplosinit Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas! I don't have table salt in the house, so I haven't been using any extra on foods. I did not have my diary set to track sodium and just happened to notice that today. I was shocked to see that it was over by so much for this entire first week!! (like 800-1000+over everyday!!!) I have been eating canned foods, chicken nuggets and sandwiches, all of which, now that I look at the packages have a LOT of sodium. This is going to be hard.....
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas! I don't have table salt in the house, so I haven't been using any extra on foods. I did not have my diary set to track sodium and just happened to notice that today. I was shocked to see that it was over by so much for this entire first week!! (like 800-1000+over everyday!!!) I have been eating canned foods, chicken nuggets and sandwiches, all of which, now that I look at the packages have a LOT of sodium. This is going to be hard.....

I eat a lot of packaged items as well, and one thing that has helped me is I log my food for the day the night before or in the morning. This way I can see if I'm going to be going over in my sodium and then change up whatever I need to. If you want to friend me, you can check out my diary and see what I've been doing.

Also, it does get easier. I haven't been going over nearly as much now that I have been watching it!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruits, vegetables, meats, raw nuts. Try Greek yogurt instead of cottage cheese for calcium. Fast food and processed food is usually high in sodium.