Knee Help!

Options
I've had knee problems for a long time now, not exactly sure what I did to my knees but my pain began when I ran track in high school. Ever since then almost any type of exercise or even every day movement causes me pain and I believe it is compromising my workouts. I am very cautious about form because of my pain so I don't think its necessarily that. I try to stay away from the exercises that put the most stress on your knees. I can't even seem to do yoga without experiencing pain. I'm currently on day two -- level one 30DS and I want to give it my all but I feel as though I may be doing less than 110% due to pain. I try to work through it but on the other hand, I don't want to make matters worse. If anyone has any suggestions for pain/swelling or what I should or definitely should NOT be doing feel free to give me some advice! Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Can you describe the pain? Is it both knees or just one? Is it there all the time or just when you exercise? I may not know the answer, but those details may be helpful.
  • WanabeHotMama
    WanabeHotMama Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Can you describe the pain? Is it both knees or just one? Is it there all the time or just when you exercise? I may not know the answer, but those details may be helpful.

Great point! Its a burning pain and both knees. I am wondering if its tendinitis just from I've read but I haven't had anything confirming my theory.
  • WanabeHotMama
    Options
    Oh and its only when they are "engaged" for lack of a better term. When I'm sitting or standing they are fine. Its when I'm bending them or going from sitting to standing. Not necessarily exercising but just "using" my knees.
  • sweetbri07
    sweetbri07 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    A burning pain could either be from possibly a pinched nerve, or possibly bursitis in your knees. Have you had it checked out by a doctor? Because I definitely recommend that. Otherwise, to reduce inflammation and swelling, ice is your best friend. Rest, ice, compression and elevation. I would be very cautious about working out until you see a doctor.
  • FaithandFitness
    Options
    yeah, I agree, get it checked out . . . knees scare me (well, knee surgery scares me) so please get it looked at before you let Jillian Michaels work you out so hard you end up needing surgery!
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Have you tried something like Naproxen (Aleve) for the inflammation? I have had 2 bouts with bursitis once in my knee and once in my hip and I am only 43. The doc was stumped as to why I have an 'old age' thing at my age. Naproxen knocked it out though and I take it daily these days to prevent further problems (my doc is aware :smile: ) It is worth trying if you have not tried it yet.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    Defnatly check with doc.

Though... avoiding exercises that cause pain may sometimes be the cause of the pain. Also, what is pain to one may be a good burn to another.

As an example, I had a severe knee injury and the prescribed physical therapy was tortuous, but it did save me from surgery.
  • WanabeHotMama
    Options
    Well, my Dad is a chiro and he thought it was still tendinitis and my husband is a 3rd year medical student and he thinks I need to ice it too. I guess I should go to a "real" doctor though hehe ;) I think you guys are right and I'll try to make an appointment this week!
  • a_rodgers
    a_rodgers Posts: 30
    Options
    I understand about knee pain. I have cerebral palsy had surgrey on my achilles tendon. I wore a brace on my leg for 17 years I never got physical therapy on my ankle. I can't move my ankle. The pain in my ankle is going to my knees then when I get older it will go to my hip then my lower back. I have to live with it. My knees hurt when weather changes.
  • FaithandFitness
    Options
    Well, my Dad is a chiro and he thought it was still tendinitis and my husband is a 3rd year medical student and he thinks I need to ice it too. I guess I should go to a "real" doctor though hehe ;) I think you guys are right and I'll try to make an appointment this week!

Nice to have some medically trained people in the family. It never hurts to have another set of eyes look at it, if nothing else it will give you peace of mind.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    You should ask your doctor. You don't want to cause permanent damage.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Have you been to a dedicated running store and had your gait analyzed? New shoes to run in and orthotics for my cross trainers have reduced my knee pain by 85%! I once went to the dr about my knee pain expecting an xray or mri and she said "You're not as young as you used to be" "Have you been taking ibuprofen? Try that". I now alternate aspirin, naproxyn, ibuprofen each morning, drink a liquid glucosamine/chondroitin supplement, use heat sometimes and just keep going. Depending on the day I modify jumping exercises. If it's a bad knee day I do them on the mini tramp, sometimes I do the "Anita" version of lunges and squats.
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    The other thing it could be is that your patella may not be tracking properly. I'd get it checked out.
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options
    i agree with the others about getting it checked out.

You may want to try some water aerobics or swimming as your workout as that will greatly reduce the stress on your knees while working out. Swimming is one of the highest calorie burn workouts as well so it's a win-win for you.