What is your favourite American-ism?

Options
curleesam
curleesam Posts: 462 Member
I love the way Americans name things differently to the English. I know we are probably just as funny with our little phrases and sayings but what are your favourite Americanisms? Mine are:

Barf = sick
fanny pack = bum bag

Replies

• monkeyboy881
    Options
    balls = bollucks
  • RainyAM
    RainyAM Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    aluminum = aluminium!!

Fanny pack is a favourite too ... hehehe ;o)
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i'm bumping this :P
  • monkeyboy881
    Options
    pleas explain the bumping thing
  • curleesam
    Options
    bump is so it appears higher on the recent posts but also so that you can track it on your profile and go back to it later.
  • monkeyboy881
    Options
    aww i see look at the noob i been bouncing back and fourth trying to reply to my posts never thought bout looking on my profile hehe
  • CallousMalice
    Options
    Wow, you're not the only n00bler, I didn't know that either.

I had an English roommate for a while that used to call his rolling suitcase a "trolley". Also, I just learned what lergy means, similar to cooties... lol
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    ahhhhh so are cooties germs? cos i've always wondered this
  • curleesam
    Options
    Wow, you're not the only n00bler, I didn't know that either.

I had an English roommate for a while that used to call his rolling suitcase a "trolley". Also, I just learned what lergy means, similar to cooties... lol

Yes lergy's is a bit of a weird phrase! I have no idea where it came from!!
  • netty1983
    netty1983 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love the shock on americans faces when british people keep saying they are going for a *kitten* hehehehe

I also like Pacifier = Dummy, funny they call it something the intended users will never be able to say hehehe
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I think this actually works both ways, so ...

Trunk = boot
    Hood = bonnet
    Hello/ Goodbye/ Thanks/ Sincerely/ Best wishes = Cheers (at least, I've heard it used to mean all those things)
    Tired = knackered
    Underwear = Pants
    Ladies' underwear = knickers
    Drunk = pissed

... There are tons of idioms that I don't remember. These are ones I like which come to mind.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I love the shock on americans faces when british people keep saying they are going for a *kitten* hehehehe

I also like Pacifier = Dummy, funny they call it something the intended users will never be able to say hehehe

We also have a nickname for it, though: Binky
  • katnz17
    katnz17 Posts: 45
    Options
    Petrol = Gas.

The ltitle kid in me always wants to giggle when American's talk about the price of gas, getting gas or pumping gas. lol
  • DanL66712
    DanL66712 Posts: 135
    Options
    *kitten* = cigarette - that one always makes me laugh. If you asked for a *kitten* in the states, you'd sound really bad!

Especially if you asked if you could bum a *kitten*....as in to take a cigarette for free from one of your mates...
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    "The tap's stuck"
    "The what?"
    "The tap, you know the thing the water comes out of"
    "Oh, faucet!"

So I tried forcing it and it came off in my hand.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Petrol = Gas.

The ltitle kid in me always wants to giggle when American's talk about the price of gas, getting gas or pumping gas. lol

I still laugh at my mom because when I was around 8 years old or so, we nearly ran out...and she had to put the car in neutral to coast into the station. And then afterwards, she exclaimed with great joy "It feels so good to have gas!!!" :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • WhiteStar2351
    Options
    bump is so it appears higher on the recent posts but also so that you can track it on your profile and go back to it later.

Alternatively you could click on 'Community' -> 'My Topics' and there's a full list of all the forum boards you've posted on - no need for 'bumping'! :smile:
  • bahrainbel
    bahrainbel Posts: 194
    Options
    i like all of them......i find myself saying "for sure" a lot.......calling my mobile my "cell"..........on mfp i am paticularly fond of "wtg" "great burn" and "good job".

the last guy I dated was an American......he used to make me say the word taboo over and over, as he liked how it sounded in a british accent, lol.
  • netty1983
    netty1983 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Petrol = Gas.

We are supposed to call it gas now, when you learn to drive they tell you thats what it is now and the accelerater is now the gas pedal
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    *kitten* = cigarette - that one always makes me laugh. If you asked for a *kitten* in the states, you'd sound really bad!

Especially if you asked if you could bum a *kitten*....as in to take a cigarette for free from one of your mates...

Bum a *kitten*??? Oh...My...GAWD. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I can see a Facebook status message forming in my head...