YOGIS ANONYMOUS

Options

Replies

• lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    lol , yoga brain. I totally know what you mean! Sometimes i wonder if i should even be driving home from class or not..all bleary eyed!

I love having yoga brain and getting on public transport (the bus. . .usually a "I will smack somebody soon" experience) and I'm just smiling and standing there. . .at peace with the universe. Also, I have "pomegranate face" from the heat and just got out of the shower. I do receive some looks. . .
  • battykatty2002
    Options
    Hi

My Yoga class isn't on at the moment (school holidays) and i really miss evean though i hadn't been going that long, Can't wait for it start back, my DVD's arn't as interesting
  • twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    :wink:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I do love me some Yoga! The more trippy/difficult/old school/eastern style the better. Yes, I do want to visualize birds flying while I balance on one foot with my arms at 12 and 3 o'clock. Yes, I do want to try to hold my entire body up with my hands while crouching like a frog and think of nothing more then the pain. Yes, I do want to lay silently on my mat at the end of class, exploring my inner light. Ohhh, I love Yoga!

Sucks because I can't find a decent Yoga instructor in my town. I miss Ulga. She rocked.
    I think I need to look harder. I'm inspired. I'll report back once I find a decent class.

I feel your pain:flowerforyou: ....tough when you lose your regular teacher....ugh:sad:

I had a wonderful loving instructor not to long ago...also was a Reiki Master and she needed to move out of the area (hopefully only temporarily) to be with her family back home to care for them for a bit. But ohhhh I so miss her wonderful spirit! SO I can hear ya on having a tough time finding someone new.... Best of luck in your search...it'll never be just like Ulga but....you may be surprised on your search where you are led:flowerforyou:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    lol , yoga brain. I totally know what you mean! Sometimes i wonder if i should even be driving home from class or not..all bleary eyed!

totally GET what you're saying here!! :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    so i am way excited!

My pilates instructor had another job offer..and i had really grown to love her, so that was sad, BUT

the new instructor taking over is the gal who also teaches my zumba class...so at this point i feel like i have a personal trainer!!!

:happy:
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    Hello yogis! Its been a while since I have posted here. I finally found a great Yoga instructor that I love, and have been going 2-3 times a week for about 6 weeks. Its mostly Hatha yoga with a bit of Pilates mixed in (its called Cyntergy, I think... some sort of program that is used at fitness clubs across the US). Its not as traditional as I typically like, but the teacher is great and the hours are perfect for my schedule. I'm happy!

Bikram!!!!!

I went to my first Bikram class today. OMG! I freaking love it. The poses are way different then Hatha poses, and of course the 100 degree temp is a bit weird at first, but I got used to it pretty quickly. I felt like it was really challenging for my body, and loved sweating my guts out. I'm visiting SoCal right now, so it was easy to find. I don't think I have a Bikram place near me back home. :cry: I'm going to go as often as I can while I'm here!
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    BUMP FOR YOGA!!

I MADE IT INTO CROW TODAY!!:bigsmile:
    It was only two seconds, but I held it! Yippee!!
    Then I was cocky the second time going into it and started to roll foward.
    Corrected and came down on my butt, laughing. :laugh:

Also pulled up into bow further than ever before today.:bigsmile:

YAY YOGA!
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Just back from bikram. . .and did two new things today. Moved from tree into toe stand and kicked out my leg in a balancing posture. I felt very proud of myself, even though that's my ego and that's not very yogini of me.:wink:
  • allisgood
    allisgood Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I will throw my two cents in....after a injury this summer that thwarted my running regime, I went back to my yoga tapes.....i did it every day for several weeks until my injury healed. I noticed a huge difference in my biking....and now that my injury is healed...in my running too. It has to be from working out to the yoga tape. My core is so much stronger and consequently....it has impacted everything....biking, running, the way my clothes fit, the way I feel. I just love the feeling after completing a workout. I am so stretch and very much in a peaceful state. I just love it. Thanks for starting this thread.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Just back from bikram. . .and did two new things today. Moved from tree into toe stand and kicked out my leg in a balancing posture. I felt very proud of myself, even though that's my ego and that's not very yogini of me.:wink:

The ego is in us all. My teacher did two poses I've never seen before today - I've been going to her for 8 years. One was a reversed warrior 2 and the other was mihrichie 2 (No idea how it's spelled)
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    After that toe stand, I seriously wanted to spike the ball and do a victory dance. Hey, I'm only human. I had to keep my hands on the floor to support myself, but when I got down there. . .it was hard to stay quiet.

My fascination with progressing in yoga is you try and try and try (practice?) a posture and then all of a sudden "pop" there you are. The first time I did crow I fell out of it, because I was so surprised it finally worked!
  • sarakenna1
    Options
    Went to Bikram for my second time yesterday. Man, what an amazing class! I got a little nauseous doing back bends at one point, but overall did pretty good for my second try. (I think). I was so drenched by the end of class that I literally could have rung the sweat out of my clothes afterwards. Sort of gross, really. For those who havn't experienced Bikram yet but are planning to, take a change of clothes with you. Seriously.

My recovery was better this time around, as I am not nearly as sore as I was after my first class on Sunday. I'm going again tomorrow, and am a little sad to be going home soon to a town that has no Bikram. I guess I'll have to settle with my easy old Hatha class! :laugh:

Here's to not passing out tomorrow! :drinker:
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Went to Bikram for my second time yesterday. Man, what an amazing class! I got a little nauseous doing back bends at one point, but overall did pretty good for my second try. (I think). I was so drenched by the end of class that I literally could have rung the sweat out of my clothes afterwards. Sort of gross, really. For those who havn't experienced Bikram yet but are planning to, take a change of clothes with you. Seriously.

My recovery was better this time around, as I am not nearly as sore as I was after my first class on Sunday. I'm going again tomorrow, and am a little sad to be going home soon to a town that has no Bikram. I guess I'll have to settle with my easy old Hatha class! :laugh:

Here's to not passing out tomorrow! :drinker:

I keep saying I'm going to weigh my clothes and mat towel before and after. .. .my clothes are wet, wet wet when I'm finished, as is my towel. Like bathing suit wet. But, I've taken to loving the post-sweat feeling. . .also my skin has cleared up and seems "glow-ier"
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :drinker:
  • sarakenna1
    Options

I keep saying I'm going to weigh my clothes and mat towel before and after. .. .my clothes are wet, wet wet when I'm finished, as is my towel. Like bathing suit wet. But, I've taken to loving the post-sweat feeling. . .also my skin has cleared up and seems "glow-ier"

My skin feels great after class, and I feel nice and energized and ready to take on the world. Today was my third and final day of Bikrim (until I find someplace to go to near home... but I think I'll have to drive about 40 minutes to the next big city). I was able to do camel pose for the first time; its amazing how much more I can do after just one week of practice. I'm going to miss it. :brokenheart:
  • vickster82
    Options
    check out some gyms. 24 hour fitness offers them for free and some intructors are actually decent.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings Yogis!

Just reporting in:

Have been using yoga techniques to assist me in the 100 pushups challenge...my progress is slow but steady...most importantly, I feel balanced...I actually use Yoga techniques in every area of my life now, especially the breathing...use the strength and balance moves to enhance all of my workouts and practices...and most beneficially, I practice the stretching techniques.

Also, throwing in a few pilates moves...Iluvsparkles shares her pilates workouts with us and it inspired me to start practicing again.

Have a wonderful week all of you...peace be with you!
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I am new to this thread...I tried reading through most of it to find my answer but I just couldn't do it!
    I tok a yoga class once during a free trial at a local gym. I loved it and would love to start doing yoga regularly. My problem is..there are only two gyms in my area and I can not afford a membership at either one. Are there yoga DVD's that you would recomend? Or any yoga workouts on the Comcast OnDemand (I am just feeling my way around these workouts).

Thanks,
    Tammi
  • lotusfromthemud
    Options
    Rodney Yee is my favorite "DVD Yoga instructor". I have his "yoga for strength" "yoga for flexibility" and "yoga burn" I love all three. Be careful buying DVDs, in Yoga, if it says "intermediate". . .it is. Try the library, they might have some you can try out.

If it's at all in your means, try to get into at least a few classes. In some of the poses, if your form is poor, you can do injury to your body.

Some areas have dedicated yoga studios where the classes are more cost effective than the gym. Also, lots of universities offer yoga classes at their rec. centres. It might be worth some research. I used to take a yoga class in my church basement.

Good luck to you!:flowerforyou: