Has everyone been recalculating your calories as you lose we

Options

Replies

• curleesam
    curleesam Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I've never seen this message and I have lost 22 lbs so far. What screen do you see this on?

@Keefypoos...I never claimed to be a man. I am a large child at best.

LOL

I should also add that I changed my goals after every 10lbs lost. The reason for this is that my stamina is waaaay up in the gym and so I figure that I need to be eating more to account for this. Don't worry though as it doesn't up it drastically. It is a good way to prepare for maintenance as well. If you think about it, the closer you get to those final 10lbs, it is unrealistic to expect to lose 2lbs per week. It will probably be 0.5lb a week and once you change that on MFP it automatically adjusts your calorie intake.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I was about 181 when I started on the site. I had dropped from 197 to that weight before I found the app on my phone. When I set up my account and I and I entered my stats, MFP gave me a 1430 goal for my calories. 9 lbs later and I went in and adjusted my goals and recalculated and my new daily intake goal is 1360 or something like that. I am wondering if everyone does this.

Funny you should post this. Yes I did as of yesterday. I also changed my carb/protien/fats ratio too. One thing I wish, when we changed our calorie goals, that it would NOT change the past entered food log calories required.

By the way why are your calorie in takes so low? For a male it should be higher.

Just my thought..................................

I dunno. It is just what the site is telling me. Maybe I am being too honest with it? When it asks how active I am, I tell it I am a lazy bum and when it says how much weight do you want to lose, I say alot and quick?

Seriously, I am sedentary with a desk job. I told the system that I wanted to meet a goal while working out 3 to 4 days a week and my goal weight is kinda low for my size. I am trying to get to 155 lbs. On most days, I dont hit my calories. I am not overly concerned because I try to get vitamins in and kinda clean foods, so they arent really calorie dense...for the most part.

I give it another couple of weeks at low rate calories and then I will probably bump my goals to be less aggressive as far as weight loss is concerned, focusing on get ripped up like Tyler Durden.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

@Keefypoos...I never claimed to be a man. I am a large child at best.

:laugh: That was cute
  • curleesam
    Options
    I was about 181 when I started on the site. I had dropped from 197 to that weight before I found the app on my phone. When I set up my account and I and I entered my stats, MFP gave me a 1430 goal for my calories. 9 lbs later and I went in and adjusted my goals and recalculated and my new daily intake goal is 1360 or something like that. I am wondering if everyone does this.

Funny you should post this. Yes I did as of yesterday. I also changed my carb/protien/fats ratio too. One thing I wish, when we changed our calorie goals, that it would NOT change the past entered food log calories required.

By the way why are your calorie in takes so low? For a male it should be higher.

I dunno. It is just what the site is telling me. Maybe I am being too honest with it? When it asks how active I am, I tell it I am a lazy bum and when it says how much weight do you want to lose, I say alot and quick?

Seriously, I am sedentary with a desk job. I told the system that I wanted to meet a goal while working out 3 to 4 days a week and my goal weight is kinda low for my size. I am trying to get to 155 lbs. On most days, I dont hit my calories. I am not overly concerned because I try to get vitamins in and kinda clean foods, so they arent really calorie dense...for the most part.

I give it another couple of weeks at low rate calories and then I will probably bump my goals to be less aggressive as far as weight loss is concerned, focusing on get ripped up like Tyler Durden.

Yeah your calories are low for a man. I am no expert but you should probably be eating more than that. I am at home on maternity leave and I have set my activity level to the lowest possible. That way, any walking or exercise I do like cleaning, long walks with the pram etc I make sure I log them on here.
  • kelda_shelton
    Options

Totally... I recalulated after week 6 and 16lbs lost (from a starting weight of 16 stone) and it took it down by 90 calories, from 1290 to 1200. When i looked back at previous weeks where I had been in the green I was now showing the majority of the time in the red as I am normally less than 100 calores from my calorie goal every week. I did wonder why the cals had gone down rather than up after losing 16lbs but I did adjust my goal weight by making it 12 stone rather than 12.5 stone at the same time so maybe that was why.
  • BrianJLamb
    Options

Yeah your calories are low for a man. I am no expert but you should probably be eating more than that. I am at home on maternity leave and I have set my activity level to the lowest possible. That way, any walking or exercise I do like cleaning, long walks with the pram etc I make sure I log them on here.

Hold on a minute here.....How does this thing figure out calories then? I mean, I am hungry most of the day, but that is by my own doing because I like to stay on like 1000 calories to 1100....but this thing is still counting me low by all of your accounts. I like it just fine because I am dropping weight like crazy, but I want to do that on my own, not because the "man" is misleading me. I am 172 lbs and I am trying to drop 17 lbs in the next two months....the numbers look right to me. How aggressive is everyone being on their projected loss? Are you shooting for like a lb a week or .5 or what?
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    If you are just using the suggested goal, won't it stop at a certain number and not go lower, like 1200 or 1000?
  • BrianJLamb
    Options
    I dunno...mine is at 1370 right now. On most days I am doing 500 calories or more worth of cardio, bringing me up to an 1900 to 2000 threshold, but then I just eat 1000 to 1100 anyways. The extra 900 calories that I dont eat equal a pound in 4 days, so I lose about 2 to 2.5 lbs a week, depending on how much I work out and what I decide to eat on the weekends.
  • curleesam
    Options
    I dunno...mine is at 1370 right now. On most days I am doing 500 calories or more worth of cardio, bringing me up to an 1900 to 2000 threshold, but then I just eat 1000 to 1100 anyways. The extra 900 calories that I dont eat equal a pound in 4 days, so I lose about 2 to 2.5 lbs a week, depending on how much I work out and what I decide to eat on the weekends.

I think the way the experts advise is to lose 1-2lb per week so that you have more chance of keeping it off. Any more than that and I guess its regarded as a crash diet?

I set my goal to lose 2lb per week initially but now as I near my goal it is 1lb a week which is more realistic as there is less to lose.
  • BrianJLamb
    Options

I think the way the experts advise is to lose 1-2lb per week so that you have more chance of keeping it off. Any more than that and I guess its regarded as a crash diet?

I set my goal to lose 2lb per week initially but now as I near my goal it is 1lb a week which is more realistic as there is less to lose.

That sounds good and healthy. I agree that you are mostly correct with the 1-2 lbs a week. It becomes a lifestyle and not a diet. I want that eventually. I will actually want to gain weight eventually, so I will have to start eating more food. My real issue is that I am not really happy with any type of fatness on me. Kindof dimorphic, but whatever. I finally start to she that self imposed stigma somewhere around 157 lbs. At 157, I cant fit into a size 30-32 and I view myself as lean. I can upswing my calories, start lifting more and doing less cardio, and I should start to build up some musc-les.
  • cerysrhi
    cerysrhi Posts: 262
    Options
    mine is automatically going down x
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    The site has never automatically lowered my calorie intake. When I lost my first 10 pounds, it popped up a reminder asking me to do so. Since then, I have not seen another reminder, but I do recalculate every 10 pounds. I have not chosen to change my goals, but I recalculate by going to my home page, click on "settings", and then choose "Update diet/fitness profile". Then I just hit change goals or whatever it says at the bottom, and it recalculates using my current weight. Hope this helps.
  • BrianJLamb
    Options
    The site has never automatically lowered my calorie intake. When I lost my first 10 pounds, it popped up a reminder asking me to do so. Since then, I have not seen another reminder, but I do recalculate every 10 pounds. I have not chosen to change my goals, but I recalculate by going to my home page, click on "settings", and then choose "Update diet/fitness profile". Then I just hit change goals or whatever it says at the bottom, and it recalculates using my current weight. Hope this helps.

It does help. Thanks :)
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options

That sounds good and healthy. I agree that you are mostly correct with the 1-2 lbs a week. It becomes a lifestyle and not a diet. I want that eventually. I will actually want to gain weight eventually, so I will have to start eating more food. My real issue is that I am not really happy with any type of fatness on me. Kindof dimorphic, but whatever. I finally start to she that self imposed stigma somewhere around 157 lbs. At 157, I cant fit into a size 30-32 and I view myself as lean. I can upswing my calories, start lifting more and doing less cardio, and I should start to build up some musc-les.

I think you'll find the following thread very interesting, and applicable to your situation.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/171756--pics-i-used-to-be-skinny-fat

Best of luck!
  • BrianJLamb
    Options
    Thanks for that...it is a very good post. I do find it interesting. I dont know if I am walking away with the right message though. I think that I should be walking away with...dont be skinny-fat, eat close to your calories and workout and let the lean mass build while I burn my calories. What I internalized was, skinny fat doesnt look so bad. Seems like a good starting point. My weight at 172, keeps me from wanting to go in swimming pools, stops me from feeling comfortable is clothes because I feel fat, makes me hate dancing because I feel all of this extra slop moving around. There is a quality of life that I dont experience because I am self-conscious about the 15 extra lbs I carry around. That will always be an underlying motivation. I am less likely to do nice things for myself because my fat gut makes me feel like I am not deserving of those nice things.

Regardless of actual muscle loss or the eventual climb that I will need to make, a motivation to eat less will always overpower a motivation to gain muscle until I have a flatter stomach.

I do appreciate the article. It gives me alot to think about. I have to say that I like the body type of skinny fat better than beefed up, but that might just be because skinny fat seems alot more achievable.
  • daffysbird
    Options
    I didn't realise you had to recalculate ur calorie intake for the day so I am so glad that a friend replied on this post so that I saw it as mine has not been recalculating itself. I have now done this and have lower calorie amount to eat per day. Thanks
  • khodges15
    khodges15 Posts: 114
    Options
    Yes. I just recently recalculated so I can eat more. 1200kcal a day, although it did wonders (I lost a lot of weight) was draining my energy. I was constantly tired. Doing better on 1370kcal and still losing!

i just did the same thing yesterday! i just recalculated. i lost 10 punds, but choosing your activity level on here based on the options they gave you initially set me at 1450 calories, but since i do hard work outs at the gym i set my activity level slightly higher allowing myself more calories so i don't starve I'm not gonna lie im terrified im gonna gain weight with the readjustement :/
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I recalculate about every 10 lbs lost.
    Same here.
  • jlsAhava
    jlsAhava Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that...it is a very good post. I do find it interesting. I dont know if I am walking away with the right message though. I think that I should be walking away with...dont be skinny-fat, eat close to your calories and workout and let the lean mass build while I burn my calories. What I internalized was, skinny fat doesnt look so bad. Seems like a good starting point. My weight at 172, keeps me from wanting to go in swimming pools, stops me from feeling comfortable is clothes because I feel fat, makes me hate dancing because I feel all of this extra slop moving around. There is a quality of life that I dont experience because I am self-conscious about the 15 extra lbs I carry around. That will always be an underlying motivation. I am less likely to do nice things for myself because my fat gut makes me feel like I am not deserving of those nice things.

Regardless of actual muscle loss or the eventual climb that I will need to make, a motivation to eat less will always overpower a motivation to gain muscle until I have a flatter stomach.

I do appreciate the article. It gives me alot to think about. I have to say that I like the body type of skinny fat better than beefed up, but that might just be because skinny fat seems alot more achievable.

I don't think you'd have to worry about getting quite that beefed up. He's almost15 years younger than you (and I). It would probably be a lot harder to get to that point at our age (though really, I have no idea).
    Hold on a minute here.....How does this thing figure out calories then? I mean, I am hungry most of the day, but that is by my own doing because I like to stay on like 1000 calories to 1100....but this thing is still counting me low by all of your accounts. I like it just fine because I am dropping weight like crazy, but I want to do that on my own, not because the "man" is misleading me. I am 172 lbs and I am trying to drop 17 lbs in the next two months....the numbers look right to me. How aggressive is everyone being on their projected loss? Are you shooting for like a lb a week or .5 or what?

I really don't think you're doing yourself any favors by restricted your calories so much. They say that 1200 calories is the minimum needed for women to get enough nutrients for the body to work properly - I believe it's higher for men. Restricting your calories so much is simply unhealthy. And IMHO, you're also likely to force your body into the dreaded and ever-so-hotly-debated (on this site, anyway) starvation mode. At that point your body will think it's being starved, causing your metabolism to slow down to avoid depleted it's stores. This will make it harder to achieve your weight loss goals.

You also have to remember that muscle ways more than fat. So you might actually be happier with a higher weight as long your body composition gives you the measurements you seek.

Best of luck in what ever you decide to do.
  • scalpay
    scalpay Posts: 44
    Options
    I increased my calorie intake every 10 pounds. So I actually did it the wring way. I started at 1200 and dropped weight like crazy. After that I increased to 1370 for the next 10 pounds, still dropped just fine :) untill this afternoon I was on 1400 and I have lost 29 pounds all in all. Now I like myself and doing 1600 calories and I wonder if I maintain, lose or gain on 1600. In theory i should still be losing, but slower. Once I reach my lowest boarder (i won't go under 145 pounds) ill start increasing slightly to 1800. Now its going to be a balancing act.