Need all the help I can get.

Options
So I think I've figured out most of the cool things that can be done here on MFP and so far I'm LOVING it! I'm so glad I found this website! Now all I need are FRIENDS! LOL. I've also made my diary public because choosing the right healthy foods can sometimes be a challenge for me so I am open to suggestions if anyone has any. When I do these diets I do well for awhile but then I tend to get bored because I eat almost the same foods everyday. I also eat a lot fruit beacuse I figure it's healthier than store bought processed 'healthy' snacks. But I've heard that too much fruit can also be bad because of the high sugar content. Does anyone have any insight on that?

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    The key to losing weight and keeping it off, is old fashioned common sense. Did you gain the weight from eating too much fruit?
    Eat ,healthy, until you are satisfied, not stuffed. If you measure for portion control, read nutritional labels, experiment with new foods you will be successful. I reached my goal 2.5 years ago. I am always seeking out new, healthy ideas so I will not be bored. Stay away from "fad" diets, quick fixes, and keep it balanced. It is a long haul but worth every effort you put into it. I eat the same amount of food, and exercise, now, that I did while I was losing.
  • FAVORED1
    FAVORED1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Stop "doing" diets and commit to a lifestyle change. Portion control and exercise (at your pace) works wonders. A key question I asked myself was "are you going to eat like this the rest of your life"? NO was my answer therefore I started to cut back on my intake of food and soda's (pepsi was my drink of choice LOL), and a light exercise of 30minutes three days a week to start. And the results began to pour in. Lastly, stop eating the same foods that's BORING (smile)... I sent you a friend request- check out my food diary. Hope this helps :0) Best
  • Jparedes06
    Options
    Stop "doing" diets and commit to a lifestyle change. Portion control and exercise (at your pace) works wonders. A key question I asked myself was "are you going to eat like this the rest of your life"? NO was my answer therefore I started to cut back on my intake of food and soda's (pepsi was my drink of choice LOL), and a light exercise of 30minutes three days a week to start. And the results began to pour in. Lastly, stop eating the same foods that's BORING (smile)... I sent you a friend request- check out my food diary. Hope this helps :0) Best

Omg I love pepsi too! Thanks so much!
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I did go back and looked at one day of your diary. {one day does not make a diet} It did seem like you were a little heavy on the fruit , and I don't really remember seeing any vegetables. Maybe give up a couple of fruits and add some veggies. Like I said it was one day only, so if you normally balance it, I only read one day's worth. But I didn't really see anything that I felt you should eliminate. Balance is the key!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    You might want to familiarize yourself with the glycemic index of the fruits and veggies you're eating. Not all fruit sugar is bad--but high GI foods can spike your blood sugar, while foods with a GI lower than 55 are associated with longer absorption.

There are several sources, but a couple of good ones are:
    http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/fruitsgi.html and http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm

They'll show you what fruits are good to stay away from.
  • Jparedes06
    Options
    You might want to familiarize yourself with the glycemic index of the fruits and veggies you're eating. Not all fruit sugar is bad--but high GI foods can spike your blood sugar, while foods with a GI lower than 55 are associated with longer absorption.

There are several sources, but a couple of good ones are:
    http://www.lowglycemicdiet.com/fruitsgi.html and http://www.southbeach-diet-plan.com/glycemicfoodchart.htm

They'll show you what fruits are good to stay away from.

I lost last years weight based on tailoring my meals to the glycemic index. It worked great but really limited my options. I tried to stick to the fruits that were had low GI's but they werent my favorites so it became hard to stick to. I still have the books and lists I made though. I will have to look it over again.
  • Jparedes06
    Options
    I did go back and looked at one day of your diary. {one day does not make a diet} It did seem like you were a little heavy on the fruit , and I don't really remember seeing any vegetables. Maybe give up a couple of fruits and add some veggies. Like I said it was one day only, so if you normally balance it, I only read one day's worth. But I didn't really see anything that I felt you should eliminate. Balance is the key!

Lol...I'd LOVE to swap some veggies in. My problem: I HATE VEGGIES. Only veggies I'll eat raw are dark greens and carrots for the most part. I can handle cooked/steamed broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, onions, and peppers, but thats about it. The kind of job I have I'm a big snacker so carrots is pretty much all that can snack on :( I'm open to any ideas :)