Women, Food, and God?

Options
Hey - what are your thoughts on the book "Women, Food, and God?" I started it a while ago and only made it about a quarter of the way. I thought I'd start again. Is it worth it? Did it help you? Does it require an active approach? I think that Oprah had a link to a journal that you could keep while doing it...should I do that or is reading it while doing this enough? Thought? Thanks!

Replies

• mynameistwiggy
    Options
    I read this book a few months ago, at the request of my nutritionist, and I found it to be quite helpful and interesting. The author talks quite a bit about mindfulness and meditation, which was of particular interest to me. :)
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I think my mom was reading that and trying to follow that program, but she I think is just following the mfp guidelines and following the lead I've shown her... I've dieted and followed 'programs' my whole life and THEY JUST DON'T WORK!! I have gotten 'results' from said programs, but as soon as I try to go in 'maintenance mode' id gain it all back...

Cliche as it all is, you have to coose this lifestyle everyday, you have to make the right food choices and you absolutely have to move your body...

Use whatever you need as motivation, but remember the book isn't losing the weight, you are; and the power you need is inside you!! I hope the book will help you activate your power!!
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    When they talked about the book on Oprah, I learned a couple things about myself and eating, like for one I sometimes use it to punish myself. This was very eye opening to me, as I didn't realize that my eating had anything to do with my child hood issues. I was skinny and attractive till about 25 when I started on meds and gained weight, so I didn't think there was a connection. Anyhow, I bought the book, and read it and was mostly disappointed in it. Maybe it would have been easier to read if the God part wasn't in it, cause that threw me off, I don't know. But I just didn't get much out of the last 3/4 or more of the book.
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    So far, I have really enjoyed the book. I haven't reached a "program" part yet. I think her idea is the opposite of a "program" but I have finished it yet to say for sure. I'll keep you posted. : )
  • myrabarlow
    Options
    I think my mom was reading that and trying to follow that program, but she I think is just following the mfp guidelines and following the lead I've shown her... I've dieted and followed 'programs' my whole life and THEY JUST DON'T WORK!! I have gotten 'results' from said programs, but as soon as I try to go in 'maintenance mode' id gain it all back...

Cliche as it all is, you have to coose this lifestyle everyday, you have to make the right food choices and you absolutely have to move your body...

Use whatever you need as motivation, but remember the book isn't losing the weight, you are; and the power you need is inside you!! I hope the book will help you activate your power!!

Tracie is right about the fact that the book isn't losing the weight - you are. I was actually reading and participating in the "First Place 4 Health" program. Taking the physical / mental / emotional / spiritual approach to better health and weight loss through these 4 aspects of ones life. The program has been around and successful for many years. Although the structured program wasn't for me, many of the study books are very helpful and inspiring if you want to 'glorify God', in what you're doing.

I haven't read "Women, Food, and God", however. If it hasn't 'caught' your attention enough to keep reading it - it may not be the book for you. If you're looking for material to help you in this journey that includes God truly - -and not just looking for the new age take on 'meditation' then Oprah should not be your starting point for reference materials. Amazon has a ton of other books available along the same lines . . . go shopping for something that would be a better fit for you. Honestly I wouldn't begin to read that book because of the title . . . if it was God, Women & Food, then it may have peaked an interest from me, but that's just the way I'm wired . . . God first.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options

Tracie is right about the fact that the book isn't losing the weight - you are. I was actually reading and participating in the "First Place 4 Health" program. Taking the physical / mental / emotional / spiritual approach to better health and weight loss through these 4 aspects of ones life. The program has been around and successful for many years. Although the structured program wasn't for me, many of the study books are very helpful and inspiring if you want to 'glorify God', in what you're doing.

I haven't read "Women, Food, and God", however. If it hasn't 'caught' your attention enough to keep reading it - it may not be the book for you. If you're looking for material to help you in this journey that includes God truly - -and not just looking for the new age take on 'meditation' then Oprah should not be your starting point for reference materials. Amazon has a ton of other books available along the same lines . . . go shopping for something that would be a better fit for you. Honestly I wouldn't begin to read that book because of the title . . . if it was God, Women & Food, then it may have peaked an interest from me, but that's just the way I'm wired . . . God first.

Wow I almost feel ashamed for not thinking about it that way, but very good point, God, Women, food would have sent a different message. But since it is a book regarding the new age belief, then it wouldn't be in that order. And after reading it and seeing that, thats why I was so disappointed in it. It wasn't clear to me on the Oprah show, what God was referring to.
  • monylove311
    monylove311 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I disagree folks. I really liked her version of "God." God is different to all of us and I appreciate her recognition of that. So far, I think the book is about self love, learning about yourself and what motivates you or discourages you and what/who your "source" is. I think many of us with food issues could really benefit from this book and her kind, real and truthful way she helps us see we are love and deserve love and that love is not in food.

Thanks for listening, Monica : )