"resting" days

Options
Does anyone else feel like they "cheated" by having a rest day? I always feel guilty when I don't workout a day. lol

Replies

• ChristineMiller2
    Options
    No I don't feel guilty when I take a day off......we are an active family and I do not work out on Sundays but we are always on the go, outdoors or something. I don't think you have to workout everyday to be healthy :)
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    Yes! My rest day was yesterday and I felt so guilty.
  • lanie13
    lanie13 Posts: 55
    Options
    I don't take a day off. Me and my sister decided that Sunday would be what we call an "easy day" where were still workout just not nearly as much as the other days.
  • blondie_0506
    Options
    I don't take a day off. Me and my sister decided that Sunday would be what we call an "easy day" where were still workout just not nearly as much as the other days.

But just about everyone says "your body needs time to heal" lol I rarely take resting days either. I have to at least go for a 2 mile walk or something...
  • 4Matt
    4Matt Posts: 26
    Options
    Sometimes, but I remember that the body does need time to rest & recoup. I just try being consistent in my eating & exercise overall.
  • fuzzymel
    fuzzymel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Today is my rest day. I did a 40 minute stroll but nothing intense.

I recognise that I need my rest but I really miss working out.
  • nuklep
    nuklep Posts: 9
    Options
    I do weight training along with cardio. I do it enough so that my body begs for a rest day. It feels weird but not guilty to rest, but I do it intense enough on my workout days that my body automatically tells me to give it a break (ends up 1-2 rest days a week)
  • lanie13
    lanie13 Posts: 55
    Options

But just about everyone says "your body needs time to heal" lol I rarely take resting days either. I have to at least go for a 2 mile walk or something...

I know that's what everyone says, but I did research and it is safe to exercise 7 days a week :)
  • emchamberlain
    emchamberlain Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Nope! Progress happens while you rest, not while you work.
  • nickiben
    nickiben Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think you need a rest day every so often. This way, you give your body a chance to recover. You also wont get into the habit of resenting working out. I feel guilty too, but even the experts have a least 1 day off a week!
  • sneakers71
    sneakers71 Posts: 106
    Options
    One day off per week. that's all.
  • ronjaa
    ronjaa Posts: 65
    Options
    every time I can't walk because of my muscle pain I take a day off xD and yes, I feel guilty, but really can't help it:(
  • mrsmorganray
    Options
    Yes! Today is my rest day and I feel very weird about it. But I know that my body needs the rest.
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Every single time...lol. Doesn't matter how tired or sore I am, I still manage to muster up plenty of guilt.
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that the rest day is for muscle tissue to repair, so it is more a rest from strength training than cardio. You can do light cardio everyday and be just fine, just give you body a break when doing strength training so it can repair. The days off for strength training can be done by just alternating muscle groups too. If you work your arms/upper body on Monday, don't work them again for at least 2 days, so do legs or abs/back on the other days while your arms heal. Kind of like this . . .

Monday - Cardio + Arms/Upper Body
    Tuesday - Carido + Legs
    Wednesday - Cardio + Abs/Back
    Thursday - Cardio + Arms/Upper Body
    Friday - Cardio+ Legs
    Saturday - Cardio + Abs/Back
    Sunday - Cardio

You can move the muscle group workouts around on the days, just make sure there is a 2 day or so break before doing the same muscle group again. If a certain muscle group it due to be worked and it is still really sore, than just work it lightly to help work out the soreness. Maybe just do one intense workout for each group a week and do a light one the other day.
  • blondie_0506
    Options
    Keep in mind that the rest day is for muscle tissue to repair, so it is more a rest from strength training than cardio. You can do light cardio everyday and be just fine, just give you body a break when doing strength training so it can repair. The days off for strength training can be done by just alternating muscle groups too. If you work your arms/upper body on Monday, don't work them again for at least 2 days, so do legs or abs/back on the other days while your arms heal. Kind of like this . . .

Monday - Cardio + Arms/Upper Body
    Tuesday - Carido + Legs
    Wednesday - Cardio + Abs/Back
    Thursday - Cardio + Arms/Upper Body
    Friday - Cardio+ Legs
    Saturday - Cardio + Abs/Back
    Sunday - Cardio

You can move the muscle group workouts around on the days, just make sure there is a 2 day or so break before doing the same muscle group again. If a certain muscle group it due to be worked and it is still really sore, than just work it lightly to help work out the soreness. Maybe just do one intense workout for each group a week and do a light one the other day.

I never thought about it like that!! Thanks for the advice!! :)
  • andi_isit303
    Options
    ugh - today is my rest day (I take 2 per week, i have a really stressful job and run around alll day for 12 hours...) - and my boyfriend knows how much i want to lose weight and makes me feel super guilty about not going. HOWEVER. i don't get home until 8pm most days - i need to relax! is that so horrible!? haha.