I need your secrets

Options
Hi all I have been with MFP since Jan 6 lost 11 lbs......I am at a loss.....I want to go back to my old ways....it is easier.....Not that i am happy with myself back then but at least it wasn't so hard......I can't go out to eat anymore I just don't know what to order....I would love for you successful LOSERS to share some of your tricks....on anything weight loss....eating out.....I like walking the treadmill....Please share :) How do you do it everyday.....

Replies

• dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    1st off I love your picture.

I think if you plan it, you should be able to eat out. It is very hard navigating menu's because seemingly healthy things can pack a huge punch. I haven't been here long enough to give some truly great advice, but I would like to see others replys;

Best wishes.
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    eating out is one of the toughest things that i have found. what i usually do is , if i know that i am going out to eat, i will save up my calories for my 'eating out' meal. I usually will save up about 900 just to be safe.

i also log on to MFP every day, it keeps me motivated to keep tracking and exercising. goodluck and friend me! we can keep each other motivated! :smile:
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    nearly 10 years ago I lost 50 pounds, and maintained it with only minor fluctuations. I'm on here now to try to lose the last 10 I'd always wished for.
    Here are some tips, and I'm looking forward to hearing others!
    1when it comes to parties, and such, if you don't love it, don't eat it.
    2try new recipes and new foods frequently, eat healthy food you like
    3plan ahead for the week, before going out to eat
    4adapt your exercise to your preferences, schedule,
    5don't sweat the small, inevitable mistakes, just keep going
  • writenina
    writenina Posts: 35
    Options
    I eat out almost everyday. Most chain restaurants post their calorie contents online (I actually think a law passed mandating it). It's all about being prepared, and sticking to the plan.

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • betsyweltha
    betsyweltha Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Think meet and veggies when going out to eat... not bread cheese and potatoes.... if you search long enough you'll find something healthy and satisfying at every restaurant... A lot of them are offering healthier options now... utilize mpf and check calories before you go out.
  • Charrisse
    Charrisse Posts: 163
    Options
    eating out is one of the toughest things that i have found. what i usually do is , if i know that i am going out to eat, i will save up my calories for my 'eating out' meal. I usually will save up about 900 just to be safe.

i also log on to MFP every day, it keeps me motivated to keep tracking and exercising. goodluck and friend me! we can keep each other motivated! :smile:

I do the same thing, and I try to do extra walking or something lol
  • chefchazz
    chefchazz Posts: 427
    Options
    MONGOLIAN BBQ!!! meats, tons of veggies and you pick. :)
  • MarybethAltizer
    MarybethAltizer Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    The only thing successful people have over unsuccessful people is that they didn't give up. Don't you dare give up! I lost 50 pounds a few years ago, this is my second go round of losing weight, and all I can tell you is baby steps. Do something little every day. Educate yourself. Don't deprive yourself of everything, just start making smarter choices. And know that you have people here who truly do care about whether you stick around or not, and are willing to help you! :)
  • iitsolivia
    Options
    I used to eat out on a daily basis. It was ridiculous. It was like I couldn't pass a drive through. I'm a full time college student, and I work 30+ hours a week, so there isn't much time for me to do preparations! I really really really love the vegetables you can steam in the bag. Green Valley has broccoli florets (which is my lunch at this exact moment) and you can eat the entire bag for 70 calories. no joke! I dip mine in barbeque sauce. yumm. But I do go out on the weekends, and I check calories and fat on MFP before I go. I usually try to only eat half of what I order, and take the other half home. Drink lots of water when you are out to eat too, it will help you eat less.
    Like I said, I'm busy. I don't always have time for big lunches. I pack almonds everywhere. Pop 15-20 in your mouth, and they are such good fillers. They really help tide me over. Do NOT give up!! Set mini goals for yourself with rewards! Say.. for every 50 miles you log on the treadmill you treat yourself to a new piece of workout gear. Get a magazine subscription to Shape or Self to read while you walk, or Cosmo if you don't mind the people behind you seeing pictures of shirtless men :)

I'm no expert, I've only been going at this for a month, but I work out daily and I just FEEL so much better, theres no way I'm going back.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I eat out almost everyday. Most chain restaurants post their calorie contents online (I actually think a law passed mandating it). It's all about being prepared, and sticking to the plan.
    The law only pertains to restaurants that have more than 100 locations. It's something like that, could be a little less than 100, I don't remember the exact number but it's a lot.
  • LHarders
    LHarders Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you all......I do think planning ahead is the best...I can hardly believe 2 months ago the calories I was putting in my mouth.....I do believe losing weight is the hardest think I have every done....and believe me I have tried many times.....I take my hat off and am so proud of you all who have been successful.....keep sharing your tricks.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I agree, EVERY restaurant should post their information online when it comes to nutrition. Honestly, a lot more dieters might be willing to go out to eat more if they just KNEW what was going on.
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I live in NYC so the culture is generally more "healthy" and portions are smaller - which makes it slightly easier but still very hard!

If it's a chain restaurant, calories will be posted (b/c of nyc law) and if you're going to a private place, i usually go for seafood b/c it's more low-cal. Also, always dressing on the side and stay away from bread basket. Remember no cocktails but you can have a glass of wine if you really want alcohol at dinner.

Avoid sauces - they are just evil. I always ask for dressing/sauce on the side which shaves off a lot of calories!

If you receive a large portion, make sure you don't eat all of it!
  • CharlieJimenez
    CharlieJimenez Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It has helped me to learn more. Learn more about exercise, and nutrition and its direct impact on health and illness. Value a meal for its nutritional value first and taste second. Set a goal of 5-10 lbs and only think about that as a milestone.

It all starts with really wanting it. Remember that the beginning is really difficult. But it gets less difficult with time. For me it has become a fun part of my life. Even going to the grocery store to buy healthy foods and practicing what I learn and what I preach.

Most people get frustrated because they want fast results but losing bodyfat in a healthy way is a slow process (1-2 lbs/week) . Anything more and its muscle and water you are losing. Buy a book on nutrition, buy a nice gym bag, some cool exercise shoes, or something good for inspiration and motivation.

Patience and persistence.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    No secret, just sheer bloodymindedness and determination! Ive usually given up by now because I also feel that it was easier before. I miss getting drunk with my friends and just doing what I want but what I don't miss is the thought of another British muggy summer where I have to haul my sweating behind around. Or another rock festival where I only see the bands that are in the closest tents and the walk from the hotel ( don't do tents anymore lol) is likely to finish me off before I even see a band. I don't want another delivery of 5 xl tshirts. I don't want my feet to drop off due to diabetes ( i went through a significant amount of pain having them tattoeed last year) or my liver to pack up under the weight of fat and alcohol I've been feeding it for years. Yellow skin most definitely is not for me. But that's the big picture. The little picture I use for the times when I just want vodka and kebabs right now this second, is the the utter crushing disappointment I feel when I wake up the next day and know I've blown it again. And again, and again.

In June I will be running around knebworth at the sonisphere festival with an xl tour tshirts, bought at the festival and not from"jumborockshirts r us". I will give it loads to metallica and slipknot without the fear of something snapping, dislocating or prolapsing. I am a rock chick - hell yeah!!!!!!

( got completely carried away with myself then. And btw I am 41 and my son thinks I'm a massive embarrassment :embarassed: )
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I eat out ALL the time because that is the lifestyle I have had for years. It was rough at first, but asking for things to be slightly modified have helped me a lot.

Instead of regular fries, see if they have baked sweet potato fries (much better for you).
    Choose side salads or other more nutritional valued side dishes.
    Portions, portions, portions. As soon as you get your meal, ask for a box. American portions are HUGE and we honestly dont need that much.
    Opt away from pastas and beef burgers, and learn towards salmon, turkey burgers with only half a bun, salads, and soups (certain soups, I should say).
    Ask for NO SALT or NO BUTTER in the preparation of your food. This alone will help cut out some of the things that make it 'bad'.