My First Jog

Options
I've been saying I'm going to start jogging for about 2 weeks now...

Does anybody have any tips on how to get started? Eg. Walk for a bit first, only jog for 5 mins at a time etc. I don't want to not be able to move tomorrow!

Thanks in advance MFPers :)

Replies

• coderchris
    coderchris Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That is how I got started jogging. I never thought of myself as a jogger before. I was more of a walker. I built up to it. I would walk for 4 minutes then jog for a minute until i had built up to just jogging.
  • 3Heather24
    Options
    I heard someone saying "Couch to 5K" works really well.
  • ceri1980
    ceri1980 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Make sure you stretch before you run and cool down once youve finished, this will hopefully help lesson the aches and pains tomorrow!

I would jog/run depending on your fitness levels for one minute and walk for the next and do this for as long as you can. As you build up your jogging you can increase the amount of minutes you jog for.
  • erikrichter
    erikrichter Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Start with the "Couch to 5k" plan.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I started in September and now I can run for 4 miles straight without walking. I was also 325lbs back then - now down to 287. If I can do it, ANYONE can.

Doing my first 5k next month. :)
  • Willstephens1
    Willstephens1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You could try doing the C25K plan, it's quiet popular on here.

http://www.c25k.com/

There's loads of people doing it, which is great if you need any advice.
  • han182
    han182 Posts: 82
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You never fail to impress me with your knowledge! :)
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I've been saying I'm going to start jogging for about 2 weeks now...

Does anybody have any tips on how to get started? Eg. Walk for a bit first, only jog for 5 mins at a time etc. I don't want to not be able to move tomorrow!

Thanks in advance MFPers :)

The nice thing about jogging/running is all you have to do it put one foot down in front of the other. It really is just that simple. However, there are some good things to know when you are starting out:

1. Interval training: start with jogging 2 minutes and walking 1. Make sure you jog the FULL 2 minutes and push yourself to do so. Do that for the length of your workout (20 min, 30 min or whatever). Then, when that's getting too easy, increase your interval to 3/4. Then 4/1, 5/1, etc. Interval training helps you build endurance and speed at the same time.

2. Go invest in a good pair of running shoes. Don't just pull some "cute" ones off the shelf at the local store. Go to a store than specializes in runners and get fit for a pair that is right for your foot and stride. It'll cost $100-150 for most shoes they have but it's VERY easy to get injured if you don't have the right shoes. And if your budget doesn't allow for that kind of expense, they'll generally work with you and help you find something that does fit the budget.

3. Support. Friends, family, MFP. Wherever you can get it, use it! Jogging and running can be very rewarding but they can also be frustrating if you aren't getting the proper kind and/or amount of support. Lean on the people around you.

Good luck with your jogging! I am sure you will do great!
  • LewisBirchenough
    Options
    I'll second that comment on getting the right shoes. When I first started running, I used some totally inappropriate trainers, got injured very easily, and spent a lot of wasted time trying to recover. I then got some proper running shoes and haven't had a serious injury since.
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I would third or fourth the shoes bit. Very worth it on MANY levels.

I would also suggest reading a bit on http://jeffgalloway.com/

Jeff is all about running injury free. He has couch to whatever distance training plans. He is also a big advocate of intervals and walk/run plans. I found his site very instructive.

Finally, I might suggest some kind of running team. Team in Training is great and there are others. I find that the team runs increase my enjoyment of the runs and the team accountability really help me to roll out of bed when my reptile brain is telling me to stay under the covers.

Good Luck!!!

--Carter