sad but true and trying to figure it all out

Options
So I have gained 10 lbs since joining MFP- after logging cal and exercise everyday for such a long time- I am still so baffled as to why it has worked for so many but not at all for me.

I have decided to hire a nutritionist and trainer to help me get off the 10 I have gained and maybe figure out how it has happened. I will share with you guys what I discover in case it may help out someone in the furture who is frustrated and feels discouraged.

On one hand I am really proud of myself because during all of this I havent given up at all and just continue to eat healthy and keep daily exercise as part of my life. That wont ever change. I am ready to get off this 10 lbs since being here and then hopefully some more. It really isnt about the scale as it is feeling and being healthy and fit, for me. I also have really decreased my binges since joining which is fantastic- it just doesnt show in my weight! ha.

It has been an interesting, albeit, at times frustrating journey. I will keep you posted on what I learn from the next stage of it all!

Replies

• mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    So I have gained 10 lbs since joining MFP- after logging cal and exercise everyday for such a long time- I am still so baffled as to why it has worked for so many but not at all for me.

I have decided to hire a nutritionist and trainer to help me get off the 10 I have gained and maybe figure out how it has happened. I will share with you guys what I discover in case it may help out someone in the furture who is frustrated and feels discouraged.

On one hand I am really proud of myself because during all of this I havent given up at all and just continue to eat healthy and keep daily exercise as part of my life. That wont ever change. I am ready to get off this 10 lbs since being here and then hopefully some more. It really isnt about the scale as it is feeling and being healthy and fit, for me. I also have really decreased my binges since joining which is fantastic- it just doesnt show in my weight! ha.

It has been an interesting, albeit, at times frustrating journey. I will keep you posted on what I learn from the next stage of it all!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:

I know this may not be the thing you want to hear, but do you think that maybe in eating the healthy foods in correct portions and working out that your body is at the weight that it is healthy at?

:smile: Keep us informed of what the nutritionalist and trainer say:smile:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I think almost ALL of us here have posted the same type of note at least once. Let me ask, could you post two days worth of your foods, water intake, and workout with calories burned? We can help you look over the foods and see what's going on.

When I did this wayyyyyyyyyyyyy back when, someone was able to point out a few spots to improve and well, it helped!

I'll check back in a few for you! Keep up the motivation, you can do it!
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    Ya know...I'm going to sit here all day waiting to hear from you...LOL :yawn:
  • mlillie
    Options
    yesterday was a fairly typical day for me

Breakfast

Cal total for the day about 1649. Exercise- weights and eliptical 300cal
    Total alloted about 1749

Sequel Vega - Complete Whole Food Meal Replacement (Natural Flavor), Generic - Chia Seeds, Oats, 0.25 cup

snack and lunch
    Spinach - Raw, 2 cup
    Brown Rice Wrap - Brown Rice Wrap, 2 wrap
    shredded carrots
    Perdue - Sliced Turkey Breast , 3 Slices 75 cal
    Asda - Chickpea Dahl Mildly Spiced, 250 cal

Snack
    Lifeway Kefir - Plain Unsweetened, 1.5 cup
    ann - granola, 1/2 cup

WALKED to health food store- about a mile casual walk.

dinner
    Tjs - Mixed Greens, 2 cup 30 8 0 2 4 remove
    Chicken - Meat only, roasted, 0.5 cup, chopped or diced 133 0 5 20 0 remove
    Fresh Express - Veggie Spring Mix, 3 Cups

Today ( I eat pretty similarly on most work days)

AM Sequel Vega - Complete Whole Food Meal Replacement (Natural Flavor), Generic - Chia Seeds, Oats, 0.25 cup

workout spin class 460 cal

Breakfast at work
    brown rice wrap with egg white and spinach
    1 extra brown rice wrap this morning!

snack- another brown rice wrap with turkey, carrots and spinach

lunch salad and chicken (sometimes brown rice wrap) baby carrots. sugar snap peas

snack
    apple
    vega protein and granola

dinner salad and chicken OR healthy oven baked chicken nuggets and broccoli steamed.

snack- sometimes popcorn. sometimes frozen grapes or hot almond milk with cinnamon.

I never go way under my cal. I sometimes go over by a few hundred but I also dont count every step I take at work.

My workouts are: M, W, F weights. Tues, Thursday interval training about 45 min. Sat or Sun bike ride or hike.

I know this isnt a healthy weight for me. I wish I could say it was but I already had some to lose and then with 10lbs on top- it isnt a comforable feeling at all. What is weird is that the last time I tried to log in everything I ate,etc..I also gained weight so I just stopped doing it. that was about 2 years ago.

I feel a little silly posting all this info- but sure, any look overs and ideas is great.
    My cal without exercise are 1400 but i never eat that low because I always exercise. So i usually eat between 1600-1800 or so.

hope everyone is having a great day.
  • mlillie
    Options
    ha!!! that is really funny!!!
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    This link might help you out:

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/tools.php?itemid=64

Let us know what you think!
  • mlillie
    Options
    hmm- this is interesting- do you do this??

BTW, I really just want to say thanks as well. It is so sweet of you to be concerned about my post.

This whole thing has been a bit of a lonely and daunting exp at times, but I did hire a trainer to help me out today. I filled out a form about myself and will keep you posted on what she says. Hopefully i will learn a lot about myself and this process and I hope help someone else by sharing when I start seeing some shifts.

Thanks again. It really means a lot!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It can actually hurt your diet to eat the same things and do the same exercise routines day in and day out. Your body is a fine machine that adjust to changes quite rapidly. You may want to try increasing your resistance or time by about 20% and switch up your cardio, if you normally do the elliptical you should ride a bike. Intervalls are also a good boost.

I try really hard to not eat the same food tomorrow that I ate today. It is definitely easier said than done. Also, I don't eat the same kind of meat in one day, if I had tuna for lunch I will not have fish for dinner. It takes a lot of planning and patience and creativity but it is what finally busted my MFP 10! Yes, I did it too. I had lost 30 lbs before MFP and slowly gained 10 after finding MFP and it has taken about 6-7 months and I am finally losing again.

I will say that I don't rely on this site for my diet information or exercise information, I only use it to log and find support from others. I have looked at some of the ideas behind MFP ideas for weight loss and found those tools useful but you can't rely on one source for all of your information.

You can do this, a set back will happen every now and then and if you hire a trainer and a nutritionist I hope they work for you! Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    hmm- this is interesting- do you do this??

BTW, I really just want to say thanks as well. It is so sweet of you to be concerned about my post.

This whole thing has been a bit of a lonely and daunting exp at times, but I did hire a trainer to help me out today. I filled out a form about myself and will keep you posted on what she says. Hopefully i will learn a lot about myself and this process and I hope help someone else by sharing when I start seeing some shifts.

Thanks again. It really means a lot!

I do it some what...I log EVERYTHING including foods, drinks, and workouts. If on Sunday I have some snack with my family or a heavy breakfast, I no longer stress about it. I track it and shoot for a lighter day the next day.

I remember Weight Watchers had a plan a long time ago..."Selections Plan" which used this process and it was great for me. With that program you end up with something like 750 extra calories at the end of the week or you can divide them throughout the week.

Anyway, I love the idea of doing the zig-zagging.
  • PrincessLaundry
    Options
    I looked at your first day here, it looks like you are missing a food group. Do you eat fruits?
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I think the Zig-Zag thing is great. Thanks for the info Princess. I always try to tell people to take a free/cheat day every week and the info on this somewhat supports doing that. If you always eat the same your body thinks that that is the way things are going to be and adjusts to fit that. If you change things around, it doesn't know where to adjust too.

Mlillie have you been taking measurements? Some times exercising will add muscle which weighs more than fat. Some times the numbers on the scale can be deciving.
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    I don't know what you were doing before this. But I do know that if you were trying to diet on your own...it could be possible your body went into starvation mode. I don't know where the post is but some of the people that have bumped the posts time and time again might know what I'm talking about. I know that when you go through the stages and if you had been in starvation mode it the post actually said that when you start to eat healthy again and workout properly you may gain some weight in the beginning until your metabolism starts working properly. I would say Banks to the rescue but looks like he's taking a break from it....Anyone else??? Hmmmmm???? :laugh: :laugh:

I'll go look let me see if I can find it...:bigsmile:
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Have you been to the doctor? They need to run some blood tests on you. Especially hypothyroid. Sounds like something physical is sabotaging your efforts.
  • mamakitty
    Options
    I went to see a dietician and it really helped me. My insurance even paid for it. You should check to see if yours would. If you need a referal you could get one if nothing shows up with your regular doc.

good luck
  • mlillie
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I got a haircut to try and feel a little better and believe it or not that helped.

I am just going to continue to be patient and see my dr and yep- I did hire and trainer and nutritionist to help me out as well. It was a 12 week package but I think it may give me the boost I need.

Funny though, yesterday was a hard day (thinking of breaking up with my boyfriend) and the thought crossed my mind to binge and just give up, but I didnt. Today I woke up feeling like it was time to focus a little off of excessively thinking about food and exercise and calories and instead tap back into somethings I have let drop to the side. I realize I need more balance. So I am going to start back up my meditation practice. It was a year ago today that I went to India for months to meditate and it was the healthiest I have ever felt body and soul. I let it slowly go when I came back to the US and moved. I think it is time to have it back in my life.

It is wonderful that a community like this exists and I really do think we care about each others ups and downs....I know I do. So thanks for taking the time to post, to read and to care. You guys are all awesome.