BANANAS

Options
butterjoy
butterjoy Posts: 303 Member
EVERY TIME I BUY BANANAS, THE BUNCH IS TOO RIPE WITHIN 3 DAYS. HOW CAN I PREVENT BANANAS FROM RIPENING TOO FAST? I HAVE USED THE FRIDGE, I HAVE SEPARATED BUNCH INTO SEPARATE SECTIONS, I HAVE PUT THEM IN A CORNER WITHOUT TOO MUCH LIGHT. HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO. THANKS.

JOY :flowerforyou:

Replies

• butterjoy
    Options
    EVERY TIME I BUY BANANAS, THE BUNCH IS TOO RIPE WITHIN 3 DAYS. HOW CAN I PREVENT BANANAS FROM RIPENING TOO FAST? I HAVE USED THE FRIDGE, I HAVE SEPARATED BUNCH INTO SEPARATE SECTIONS, I HAVE PUT THEM IN A CORNER WITHOUT TOO MUCH LIGHT. HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO. THANKS.

• jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    buy a smaller bunch????

lol sorry i know not very helpful ... i have the same problem too sometimes i find myself eating 3 bananas in one day because i know they are gonna go bad and i dont want to waste them:) over ripe bananas are yummy in a smoothie..... or banana muffins :)
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Buy the produce bags. They are green baggies. They won't get bugs or turn too fast....
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    dont know how to help you, but just had to have a banananananaaa with my cereal!!

:laugh:
  • butterjoy
    Options
    :laugh: THANKS EVERYONE!! AT LEAST I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE WITH OVERRIPENING BANANAS. THERE ARE TIMES I HAVE TO EAT MORE THAN ONE SO IT WON'T GO TO WASTE. WHERE DO YOU BUY THE "GREEN BAGS"? I WILL TRY THAT TOO.

JOY:flowerforyou:
  • FitShark
    Options
    I might be bananas for this technique, but it works for me....in my produce section, there is usually a spot for the single bananas, those who may have been broken off of bunches, the discarded ones....the isle of misfit bananas if you will....I pick out 3 or 4, in varying degress of ripeness; that way they are pretty much guaranteed to last the week, and no rush to have to eat them! (But then again, you can freeze them once overripe for a later smoothie or making muffins as suggeted :happy: )
  • jackeh
    jackeh Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I might be bananas for this technique, but it works for me....in my produce section, there is usually a spot for the single bananas, those who may have been broken off of bunches, the discarded ones....the isle of misfit bananas if you will....I pick out 3 or 4, in varying degress of ripeness; that way they are pretty much guaranteed to last the week, and no rush to have to eat them! (But then again, you can freeze them once overripe for a later smoothie or making muffins as suggeted :happy: )

isle of misfit bananas:laugh: :laugh:
  • butterjoy
    Options
    FREEZE A FEW OF THEM FOR MY SMOOTHIES. COOL IDEA! THANKS.

JOY:flowerforyou:
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    OK so stupid question here ... when you freeze them for smoothies do you peel them first?
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    OK so stupid question here ... when you freeze them for smoothies do you peel them first?

Yep. :wink:

You could get a nice little hanging banana stand for your countertop. They should be stored by themselves, not around other fruits or veggies so they don't ripen too hastily. I've heard the green bags mentioned work well too. You can find those online or at Walgreens, Debbie Meyer's green bags I think.

I love bananas. :bigsmile:
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    We always buy half of them green and half of them yellow so that the green ones are ready for later in the week.
  • FitShark
    Options

well, i have just thrown them peel and all into the freezer, so I dont have to wast a palstic baggie or anythiing
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    peel them, freeze them and make banana ice cream from them or add cocoa powder or chocolate protein powder and some berries and make a great ice cream concoction with no excess calories. i am allergic to dairy so I have done this is the past and it works really well.

Just whirl them around in a high powered blender or food processor and you have ice cream
  • BEFORE
    BEFORE Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

isle of misfit bananas:laugh: :laugh:
    LOL Your a peach.
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    Oh I love bananas.

Why don't you just make bread or cake out of the over ripe ones?

I will stay on topic here and not post any dancing bananas, or banana pictures, or banana chears. lol I know there are a few of you out there that know what I'm talking about.:bigsmile:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    :grumble: I have the same problem...I just started buying smaller bunches...:flowerforyou:

Now I gotta tell ya....:tongue:

This thread got that song stuck in my head...Forgot who its by...:laugh: :grumble:

B is for bananas
    B-A-N-A-N-A-S
    If you wanna be my lover
    You can be my friend
    Make it last forever
    Friendship never ends

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I HATE THAT SONG...:grumble:

:bigsmile: :heart: :smooched: {HUGS}
  • butterjoy
    Options
    THAT WAS FUNNY :laugh: I PEEL THE BANANA, CUT IT IN HALF, THEN WRAP IT IN SARAN (?) WRAP INDIVIDUALLY THEN PUT ALL IN A ZIPLOCK BAG. ALL I HAVE TO DO IS OPEN THE BAG AND TAKE OUT A BANANA TO PUT IN MY BLENDER. WOAH! THAT SOUNDED WEIRD, lol :tongue:

• Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    Oh I love bananas.

Why don't you just make bread or cake out of the over ripe ones?

I will stay on topic here and not post any dancing bananas, or banana pictures, or banana chears. lol I know there are a few of you out there that know what I'm talking about.:bigsmile:

:yawn: what ARE YOU talking about??:frown: Wow, really banana's that dance...how do you store those??:yawn:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

Yep. :wink:

I love bananas. :bigsmile:

ahh yeah, I seem to rember something about you 'liking your banana's':noway: