In Frying pan put 1 tsp of oil and 1 crushed slice of Garlic
    Add 1 cup of spinach and cooked quinoi
    Add 3 oz of Flaked Feta

cook in pan 2 minutes

Spinach and Feta Quinoi Salad
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy it? I saw one little box in Publix for $6.00. I thought that was too much for such a small amount.

I get mine in the Bulk Section of my grocery store. It's a bit pricer but only a 1/2 cup cooks a lot!

About 5 cups costs me 7$ at the bulk section .. well worth it it's so versitile
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I get mine at Safeway in the bulk foods section. I believe its about $1.69/lb........For a quick Spanish Quinoa I add a can of Rotel Tomatoes and its yum.
  • Randee75
    Randee75 Posts: 234
    Options
    I forgot to add that allrecipes.com has some Quinoa recipes.
  • misschristi
    misschristi Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Best recipe I've ever had

cook 1/2 cup of Quinoi as normal
    In Frying pan put 1 tsp of oil and 1 crushed slice of Garlic
    Add 1 cup of spinach and cooked quinoi
    Add 3 oz of Flaked Feta

cook in pan 2 minutes

Spinach and Feta Quinoi Salad

this is exactly how i make mine it is so good!!! ....i also sautee some baby portabellas and put them in...delish!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    The last time I made it I boiled it in water. While that was going on I sauteed some chopped onions & pine nuts in a pan in some olive oil. Just before the quinoa was done I added some chopped baby spinach to the pine nuts.
    Drain the quinoa & toss with the sauteed items. Very delicious.
  • sooh2011
    sooh2011 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I made sweet potato black bean quinoa burgers:

http://fatfreevegan.com/blog/2010/05/06/sweet-potato-black-bean-quinoa-burger/

They were just *ok* - but I made loads so froze them and have been having them with salad and sweet chili sauce for lunch and I think they must re-heat well because they've been lovely.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I make a turkey & quinoa meatloaf that we really like. I'll also make a serving and mix it with a serving of veggies for a meal for myself when dh works a late shift, often add salsa or some spaghettin sauce to spice it up a bit. It's one of my new favorite foods :smile:

What's your recipe for the meatloaf? I'm assuming you are subbing the quinoa for the usual bread crumbs?
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I grabbed a box a few weeks ago but haven't made it yet.. after seeing all these recipes i am going to have to try it and soon!:flowerforyou:
  • monarchjen
    Options
    So, i know this is a bit of cheating, but it's so easy and so tasty!!

I buy these Seeds of Change Uyuni Quinoa & Whole Grain Brown Rice bags (8.5 oz Each). They only take 90 seconds to heat up in the microwave! I usually serve with a grilled chicken breast or a large helping of veggies (broccoli, asparagus, etc).

http://www.seedsofchangefoods.com/our_foods/product.aspx?c=rth&p=285
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I make a turkey & quinoa meatloaf that we really like. I'll also make a serving and mix it with a serving of veggies for a meal for myself when dh works a late shift, often add salsa or some spaghettin sauce to spice it up a bit. It's one of my new favorite foods :smile:

What's your recipe for the meatloaf? I'm assuming you are subbing the quinoa for the usual bread crumbs?
    Here's a recipe from Allrecipes (I haven't tried it yet but it's saved in my recipe box)

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Turkey-and-Quinoa-Meatloaf/Detail.aspx

Prep Time: 30 Min
    Cook Time: 50 Min
    Ready In: 1 Hr 20 Min
    Servings Original Recipe Yield 5 servings

Ingredients:
    1/4 cup quinoa
    1/2 cup water
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    1 small onion, chopped
    1 large clove garlic, chopped
    1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
    2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 egg
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon water

Directions:
    Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat.
    Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and the water has been absorbed, about 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
    Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
    Add the garlic and cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
    Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, hot sauce, 2 tablespoons Worcestershire, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be very moist.
    Shape into a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet.
    Combine the brown sugar, 2 teaspoons Worcestershire, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Rub the paste over the top of the meatloaf.
    Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 50 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C). Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

Nutritional Information
    Servings Per Recipe: 5
    Amount Per Serving

Calories: 286
    Total Fat: 13.3g
    Cholesterol: 126mg
    Sodium: 991mg
    Total Carbs: 15.2g
    Dietary Fiber: 1.1g
    Protein: 25.3g

Also, please make sure that you THOROUGHLY rinse the quinoa or it will be bitter!! A lot of people learn this the hard way.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I like it sprouted in salad
  • fit4lyfe7
    fit4lyfe7 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I have quinoa in my pantry and still haven’t tried it. It’s going on the menu next week. Sharing two recipes I have saved and been wanting to try:

Quinoa Muffins

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/quinoa-muffins

Makes 12

1 cup quinoa, rinsed
    1/4 cup vegetable oil, such as safflower, plus more for pan
    2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
    3/4 cup packed dark-brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup raisins
    3/4 cup whole milk
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium saucepan, bring quinoa and 1 cup water to a boil. Reduce to a simmer; cover, and cook until water has been absorbed and quinoa is tender, 11 to 13 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, brush a standard 12-cup muffin pan with oil; dust with flour, tapping out excess. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, raisins, and 2 cups cooked quinoa; reserve any leftover quinoa for another use.

3. In a small bowl, whisk together oil, milk, egg, and vanilla. Add milk mixture to flour mixture, and stir just until combined; divide batter among prepared muffin cups.

4. Bake until toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool muffins in pan, 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container up to 5 days.

Beef Potato and Quinoa Soup

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/01/beef-potato-and-quinoa-soup.html

2 tsp olive oil
    6-7 scallions, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tomato, diced
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp Badia Sazon with Annato
    1/2 lb beef, cubed into small bite size pieces (I used beef tenderloin)
    5 cups water
    beef bullion
    1 carrot, peeled and sliced
    2 tbsp yellow bell pepper, diced
    2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
    1 cup cooked quinoa
    6 tbsp fresh chopped cilantro
    salt and pepper to taste

Saute oil in a large pot, add scallions and garlic and sauté until soft over medium heat, about 3 minutes. Add tomato, cumin, sazon with achiote, 1/4 cup cilantro and cook another 2 minutes. Add beef, water, bullion, carrot, bell pepper, salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer on low about 1-1/2 hours, until meat is tender.

Add potato and cooked quinoa and cook an additional 25 minutes. Add remaining chopped cilantro and serve.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I use quinoa anywhere I would use rice or noodles. I think it is best when you brown it in a little olive oil until it starts popping a few grains and is pretty evenly browned, then the liquid is added and boiled. I've used broth, the liquid of canned tomatoes, and plain water, and it is always good.

I buy it at Whole Foods in the bulk aisle. It is crazy expensive in boxes. I wish I could get my hands on the really big grains like they served at the summer camp I worked at last summer. They were at least 8 times bigger than the ones I buy.
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    bump
  • missmmaynes
    missmmaynes Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You can use quinoa in any dish that you would use rice. You can also have it for breakfast warmed up with milk and cinnamon (or you could add fruit too). It is very versatile and very delicious too! I like to make it when we are having grilled chicken and stir fried veggies. Be creative add to it whatever you like! Enjoy!

Really? I will get some and try this out! I have heard it is the best grain you can eat!

Absolutely! It's awesome! My kids even love it!
  • Soupskin
    Soupskin Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I made some super yummy quinoa in the microwave at work for lunch today:

1/4 c Inca Red quinoa
    1/2 c chopped tomato, bell pepper and onion mix
    1 tbs organic balsamic vinegar
    1 tsp minced garlic
    1/2 c water

Combine the above in a bowl and nuke for 8 minutes. Remove, stir, cover and let sit for 15 minutes. Return to nuker and irradiate for another 2 minutes.

Add 1 can tuna and 1/3 cup reduced fat feta cheese. Stir and enjoy!

Calories-369 Carbs-49 Fat-8 Protein-26 Fiber-9 Sodium-577
  • piquilter
    piquilter Posts: 119
    Options

Sorry I didn't reply to this earlier, buried under basketball pics :noway: with a couple of banquets coming up. I started with the recipe that was listed above from allrecipes.com and then true to form had to add my own tweaks :laugh: I haven't used the tomato paste or hot sauce, only because I haven't had them handy. I have substituted barbecue sauce, spicy mustard and also just left it out. The last time I made it I put half of the mixture in the loaf pan & then spread about 4 cups of chopped fresh spinach over it and then added about a quarter cup of crumbled tomato basil feta and then placed the remaining turkey mixture on top of the spiniach layer, we :love: it that way.