Working out before work

Options
Who all does it? Does it work for you????
I would need to get up at 6am work out for an hour, and then get ready for work......... I dont mind getting up early, but I also dont know if i'll be tired afterwards, or energized???

Replies

• unckat09
    unckat09 Posts: 97
    Options
    I go to spin class before work at 5:45am and I LOVE IT! I do have to go to bed super early the night before, but it is worth it. I wake up and have a light breakfast (fruit generally), pack my bag and head off. I generally have more energy and feel better throughout the day.
  • kmparks24
    kmparks24 Posts: 198
    Options
    I get up at 6am everyday and take my Australian Shepherd for a 2.5-3 mile run. I find myself having more energy throughout the day when I exercise early as opposed to later. Not to mention I sleep like a ROCK at night once I get settled in. Plus, working out in the morning gives me my 'social' time after work. I dont' have to worry about 30-60 mins of exercise, THEN showering and getting ready to go out. Basically, I'm off work, freshen up, and go!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Sorry, a little off topic, but this reminded me of a seinfeld episode where George works out and keeps sweating at work. So...I would suggest making sure you cool off good before going to work :) Like a luke warm shower with a cool rinse :)
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    I used to work out in the mornings all the time and I loved it. I think I am going to start doing it next week.
  • unckat09
    unckat09 Posts: 97
    Options
    Plus, working out in the morning gives me my 'social' time after work. I dont' have to worry about 30-60 mins of exercise, THEN showering and getting ready to go out. Basically, I'm off work, freshen up, and go!

Yup. Add this to my list of positives.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    It works great for me. I get up at 5 and workout anywhere from 35 to 50 minutes, usually doing one of Jillian Michael's dvds. Then I'm out the door by 7am. It was hard at first and I need to be in bed by 10-10:30 but I feel really great and have more energy than I used to. I also like to get exercise out of the way in the morning because I usually don't have time after work since I have a husband and 4 kids and everything that goes along with that. Also I know what my calorie count for the day should be and can space that out better. Usually work out in the morning on weekends as well but not quite as early:happy:
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I get up @ 4:15 everyday, im at the gym by 5, i work out til 6 and im at work by 6:45. The energy is amazing!
  • CarterGrt
    CarterGrt Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I really like it. It gives the day a whole different energy.

--Carter
  • UcallMeJay
    Options
    I work out before work. I usually don't have to be at work until after 11am so I don't have to get up as early.
    But for the most part I always feel energized afterwards. You can expect of coarse that you will be sore depending on the workout.

I workout Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and do cardio intervals on Saturday.
    My workouts usually consist of a walk/jog around my neighborhood, usually takes about 30 minutes, then 20 to 45 minutes of strength training.
    After that I make myself a tasty protein shake, and relax for a few minutes if I can. Then get ready for work and off I go for my 10 hour work day. And I work retail so I am on my feet all day anyway.
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    I get up at 5 a.m. and do a workout every other day before work usually Mon, Wed, Fri. It's hard getting started but I'm energized afterwards.
  • dimoul
    dimoul Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I go to spin class at 6:00 a.m. To do it, I have to be up by 5:10 a.m. It's hard to get up sometimes, but I feel awesome afterwards. Since I'm already there and I don't have to be at work right after class, I lift weights and run. Sometimes I work in a short abs/stretching class, too. The advantage to early morning is that you aren't exercising in the evening when you feel like you should be home with the family. And nobody is trying to call you or schedule any meetings or activities over your exercise at 5 or 6 a.m.
  • patricac
    patricac Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:45am to go for my run with my dogs (I'm doing C25K right now). The thing I've noticed is that I have to get to bed at a decent hour the night before or it gets too hard to get up. I find that to be the most important aspect of early morning workouts for me. I prefer to workout in the morning to get it over with, so I don't get caught up in the day. I find that I have more energy and am generally in a better mood. I don't like exercising in the evenings because it's hard for me to go to sleep since I have so much energy afterwards.
  • kimlausan
    kimlausan Posts: 39
    Options
    Does anyone workout twice a day? In morning and night?
  • Toaster88
    Toaster88 Posts: 146
    Options
    I have to be at work at 6:00. I am a bike commuter (and a morning shower-er). I also run before my shower. That puts me up at 3:25 every morning. I've done this for 2.5 years now. It actually gets my blood really flowing, and has taken me from two cups of coffee a day to two cups a month. I get really tired at bedtime, sleep well, but the rest of the day I have good energy.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i will preface this by saying i am NOT a morning person...however, since september i have been getting up before work almost every day of the week to do a 25-45 minute workout (dvds or running outside) and i have gotten to the point that i really miss it on days that i can't or don't...i feel a lot more energized throughout the workday and i find that i get more workouts in during the week...it takes a bit to get used to, but i highly recommend it :)
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    I have begun doing Zumba for a half hour before work...I absolutely love it! It is a better energizer than high test coffee...for the entire morning!
  • Toaster88
    Toaster88 Posts: 146
    Options

Yes. I'm not much of a runner, so I split my milage daily. Plus, My ride to and from work are split by 8-10 hours. That's gotta count for something.
  • tjsusong
    tjsusong Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    When I was working I would workout before work and I felt great, but I was always famished by 10 AM!!!
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options

Several people on my page do this. Like before work and after work. I do this 3 days a week, I do my 5 am workout at home with light weights before work, then at lunch I go to the gym and do the elliptical. It's easier for me to do 2 - 30 min workouts than a full hour due to boredom and time restraints. But others do 2 hrs daily lol
  • Abarter311
    Abarter311 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i work out before work when i work nights and after when i work days. i like to change it up.