Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help ...Can't seem to fight off the office snacks

Hey, just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to fight off the snacks at the office. There is always something around my desk area and I can't throw them out because its kind of a communal area, and m self control stinks because i have suck a sweet tooth. I tried the gum and tic tac thing instead of eating them but it doesn't work. Any other suggestion i would love !!!!

Thanks all,
Malymal

Replies

• Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Since i'm a chocolate lover and have a weakness for my sweet tooth, i keep a candy jar full of cocoa roasted almonds. Its perfect for my chocolate cravings and almonds are healty snack! I eat 10 for snack in between bkfst and lunch and then i eat another 10 about 3pm.
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    I used to have the EXACT problem! For me just sticking with MFP for ONE week did the trick, after 2 wks it gets even easier. You just have to tell yourself I'm staying within the daily calorie range MFP has assigned to me and I'm doing this for at least 5 days! That honestly helped me go cold turkey. Oh there's a beautiful cream cheese icing cake on the office kitchen table right now. Like you there's ALWAYS something YUMMY there! And I used to ALWAYS eat it. But now I can admire it and smell it and RUN lol

I also keep healthy snacks in my desk drawer like apples and protein bars and popcorn and prunes etc. Good Luck!
  • paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Bring healthy snacks to work to eat instead.
  • Luckily I don't have anything at my desk but there is candy on the desk of everyone I pass on the way to the bathroom or lunch room. I actually told all of those people that I was trying to lose weight so that they shouldn't let me have any of their treats. Saying it out loud made me know that they were going to notice if I was eating them and that actually keeps me from doing it. Every once in awhile I will allow a certain numbers of calories to have one or two small Dove chocolate squares or something. But I used to grab a few throughout the day and now that I've made it known to everyone it doesn't even really tempt me anymore. It allowed me to break the habit for a few days and resist from now on.
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Find a low calorie sweet you can keep at your desk and make sure you eat it in moderation.

Being a stay at home mom I don't have the problem of office snacks. But I do have the problem of a sweet tooth. I keep a bag of caramels on hand and if I'm doing good on activity and under my calorie goal I'll allow myself to have a couple. This works for me to stay out of all the other junk we have in our house reserved for free days.

I hope this helps.
  • jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Just don't do it! I have a basket full of reese's peanut butter cups and miniature hershey's bars sitting in my office! There have been a couple days that I will have "just one" and it always turns into atleast 3! Now I just don't eat any of them ever. It's actually getting easier. Be strong!:happy:
  • Oh! And be sure to log every treat! Once you see how many calories just a tiny little candy bar is you won't be as interested in them!
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Oh! And be sure to log every treat! Once you see how many calories just a tiny little candy bar is you won't be as interested in them!

that works for me!! so true
  • karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    I have the same problem but now I have a healthy balance between keeping up with MFP and keeping healthy snacks in my drawer, prunes, tea, granola, nuts. These things help me fight off the hunger and also I always think to myself:
    "I am going to feel so guilty if I enter this into MFP!"
    Now I don't snack as much and when I do its healthy options! Good luck!
    Also, drink lots of water and hot tea to curb cravings!
  • drog2323
    drog2323 Posts: 1,343 Member
    write your goals down and keep them at your desk. when tempted, read them.

it will get easier....hang in there.
  • k_wills
    k_wills Posts: 82 Member
    Perhaps asking other people to have things on their desks instead...or maybe assign things to go in desk drawers....ask your co workers for a little support in the type/quantity of snacks brought in.
    I'm sure you're not the only one that feels this way....most people have a 'if it's there i'll eat it" attitude and would probably welcome the change.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    I know what you mean! I work at a hospital and nurses eat so much junk! I've found it's easier to say, "No" then try to stop yourself after trying a bite.
  • ewt1508
    ewt1508 Posts: 1
    When I first started loosing weight the self-control was difficult to deal with. If you can stick with it for about a month it will get a lot easier as your body won't be craving food so much. I bring all my own food and snacks to work so that when there are donuts or cake there is something for me to eat. The big key is to find healthy things that your really like to eat if your eating celery while someone else is eating something really tasty it's not going to work. Best of luck! You can do it!:smile:
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Same here! If you see how those calories add up and how much exercise it takes to burn them off you will want to stop.
    Keeping an ice cold water jug on my desk helps. I've trained my brain to take a drink everytime my mind wanders to snacking. It helps me keep the calories down and get all my water in! Be strong - you can do it!!