Cheap please!

Options
2»

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    1. FROZEN VEGETABLES
    Frozen veggies are typically a great value, and very nutritious.

2. GROCERY STORE PRICE MATCHING (WALMART)
    We have been able to buy a lot more fruit and veggies (along with meats and other items) thanks to Walmart's price-matching policy on groceries. We check all of the special that come in the junk mail for local grocery stores, jot them down and head to Walmart.

The best fruit and veggie prices here are found in the Latin markets -- it's not uncommon for us to pick-up 6 lbs of oranges for $0.99, for example. Sometimes, though, the quality can be poor at the store offering the sale, so we just take that price to Walmart. It will also save you time and gasoline/bus fare. Walmart's price match policy is that you don't have to bring the ad -- just be able to tell them where you found the offer. They keep the local ads there, supposedly. We've never gotten any hassle though.
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Bean and lentil dishes are cheap and healthy. Make a pot of bean soup by putting a ham bone (or some other meaty bone from another animal) and beans in a pot. Cover with water and cook over low heat for a few hours. I usually cook mine in the crockpot for 10 hours. Cook up some greens and a pan of cornbread and you've got a good and very cheap meal. Bean burritos/tacos, lentil sloppy joes, I like a pot of lentils and rice cooked with onion. You can get a pound of chicken livers for about $1. Devein them, slice them up, coat them in salt and peppered flour. Carmamelize a sliced onion. In the same pan, sautee the livers. That's a cheap and yummy main dish (to me at least). I'm actually having that for dinner tonight. I make a really yummy soup out of cucumbers, potatoes called Gurken Und Kartoffelsuppe from food.com. Sauerkraut and bean soup. Soups of almost any kind are usually frugal and filling. Spaghetti with meat sauce and salad. Breakfast for dinner. Egg dishes like quiche or frittats with veggies mixed in. Tuna casserole.

Ok, I've gone on long enough. I hope you got at least one idea. Good luck!
  • zeman11
    zeman11 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    one of my favorite meals when broke is spaghetti...I buy Hunt's tomato paste and then add a big bag of frozen veggies that are pureed to the sauce to make it super thick and tasty. It makes enough sauce to last for a few meals.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    1. FROZEN VEGETABLES
    Frozen veggies are typically a great value, and very nutritious.

2. GROCERY STORE PRICE MATCHING (WALMART)
    We have been able to buy a lot more fruit and veggies (along with meats and other items) thanks to Walmart's price-matching policy on groceries. We check all of the special that come in the junk mail for local grocery stores, jot them down and head to Walmart.

The best fruit and veggie prices here are found in the Latin markets -- it's not uncommon for us to pick-up 6 lbs of oranges for $0.99, for example. Sometimes, though, the quality can be poor at the store offering the sale, so we just take that price to Walmart. It will also save you time and gasoline/bus fare. Walmart's price match policy is that you don't have to bring the ad -- just be able to tell them where you found the offer. They keep the local ads there, supposedly. We've never gotten any hassle though.

Really? Thats very interesting and I did not know that. We dont have any 'super' Wal-marts up here with grocery stores in them, but Ill know next time I travel long period of time in the south where I have seen them everywhere!!

Also, my big sister usually shops at Wal-Mart (South Carolina) and I will pass on this tip to her. My hungry growing twin nephews eat A LOT haha
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Let's see.....

Tuna
    Mustard
    Canned stewed tomatoes
    Rice
    Canned Veggies (just rinse em)
    did I mention Tuna?
    dried beans
    chicken legs/thighs...These are usually cheaper than breasts but be careful because they are higher in fat and remove the bone and skin!

Check sale papers...sometimes really healthy choices are BOGO...oh, and dont forget..you can price match at Wally World :)

oh yeah...Bananas! and if you have access to a Farmer's Market, you can get soo much more for less!
    Did I mention Tuna already?
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Bananas!! I almost forgot the bananas!! A weeks worth is usually a few cents more than a dollar.

I heard that slightly unripened bananas are somewhere around 75% more filling than ripe ones. They contain some chemical that makes you full.
  • catysthename
    Options
    Let's see.....

Tuna
    Mustard
    Canned stewed tomatoes
    Rice
    did I mention Tuna?
    dried beans
    chicken legs/thighs...These are usually cheaper than breasts but be careful because they are higher in fat and remove the bone and skin!

Check sale papers...sometimes really healthy choices are BOGO...oh, and dont forget..you can price match at Wally World :)

How do you price match?? I've never heard of that...I've always gone to target.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Let's see.....

Tuna
    Mustard
    Canned stewed tomatoes
    Rice
    did I mention Tuna?
    dried beans

Some places might be different (I'm in South Carolina), but you can take a sale paper with you to Wal-Mart, get the same item for the price in the paper. But be careful...Sometimes it's a deal, and sometimes, there's no difference...
  • catysthename
    Options
    Let's see.....

Tuna
    Mustard
    Canned stewed tomatoes
    Rice
    did I mention Tuna?
    dried beans

Some places might be different (I'm in South Carolina), but you can take a sale paper with you to Wal-Mart, get the same item for the price in the paper. But be careful...Sometimes it's a deal, and sometimes, there's no difference...

Ohh okay!!! Do they do that on everything or just groceries?
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    oatmeal!

I tried that once and didn't like it...i don't know what was in it, if anything...tasted kinda bland/sweet..
    I heard someone putting cinnamon on top. Is there a certain kind i can get thats flavored...in a good way?

I get quick oats and flavor it with brown sugar or honey and add in fruit(I shop by what is on sale).

I agree beans lentils, rice are good options. And price match. Walmart here usually won't unless you have the ads. And they don't match BOGOs(dumb I know since its the same at 50%off) at mine or offer any extra free items that come with certain purchases. I avoid Walmart anyway just because I hate it there and the long wait. Plus I don't like their produce selection too much.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Bagel Thins are the best invention ever! I just had one for lunch with hot spicy humus, lite turkey and romaine. Filling and yummy!

Boiled eggs are cheap and filling (on a bagel thin - even better!)
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    re:oatmeal.. mix in some apple juice and cinnamon instead of water.
    sometimes i add dried cranberries (watch the calories)
    i also like it with a tsp of brown sugar...
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Check out the frozen section of your grocery store, bags of frozen vegetables are pretty cheap. I like to buy green beans and yellow beans, and I eat them on the side of everything, filling, high fiber, and low calorie. You can buy other veggie mixes, and buy cans of tomato sauce and mix together and have with whole wheat pasta, or pour the mixture on top of a chicken breast, or on top of a burger. You can also make a hearty sauce with ground beef and tomato sauce and frozen veggies, and just eat it plain or with pasta.
  • catysthename
    Options
    Check out the frozen section of your grocery store, bags of frozen vegetables are pretty cheap. I like to buy green beans and yellow beans, and I eat them on the side of everything, filling, high fiber, and low calorie. You can buy other veggie mixes, and buy cans of tomato sauce and mix together and have with whole wheat pasta, or pour the mixture on top of a chicken breast, or on top of a burger. You can also make a hearty sauce with ground beef and tomato sauce and frozen veggies, and just eat it plain or with pasta.

Sounds like you could make a mean speghetti!! Got a good speghetti recipe?? We're cooking that tonight.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Sounds like you could make a mean speghetti!! Got a good speghetti recipe?? We're cooking that tonight.

Sorry I don't have a recipe! My boyfriend is the sauce expert and whenever we make it he usually will just wing it. Here's some of the stuff we add: onions, garlic, italian spices, hot pepper flakes, frozen veggies, extra lean ground beef, and chopped up low-fat spicy turkey sausage. We try and make the sauce really thick and meaty so it's filling on its own. I usually eat the sauce on top of green beans, he eats it on top of regular pasta.