It doesnt make sense

Options
2»

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I guess I was just going with the thought process of meeting a certain calorie deficit. My goal was to lose 3 pounds a week which would be a caloric deficit of 10500 per week so after doing all the math yadda yadda this is what I came up with. Clearly I need to change it and am willing to. I def dont want to starve myself as I am very happy with myself I think it is just fear of failure when your working so hard toward something, but its a lifestyle change I am trying to achieve not a diet so thanks again for everything!

trying for 3lbs per week is considered unhealthy. MFP recommends 1 lb/week but says 2 can be safe if you have a lot to lose.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    You're right Eric. I'm sorry I have not read the program and I was offering advice based on m personal experience. I came here to gain knowledge and I will stop giving advice.
  • tcld
    tcld Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice, and considering what I am doing isnt working I am going to change. I went back in and changed the setting to lose 2 lbs a week and allowed MFP to guide the settings so I will definately follow it more closely, but in the meantime I appreciate you taking the time to look it over and advise me!
  • MistyMtnMan
    MistyMtnMan Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice, and considering what I am doing isnt working I am going to change. I went back in and changed the setting to lose 2 lbs a week and allowed MFP to guide the settings so I will definately follow it more closely, but in the meantime I appreciate you taking the time to look it over and advise me!

You got it and just a little success story from this site, I was using Weight Watchers and didn't lose anything for like a month! I went on this, I was eating more calories and I lost 4lbs in less than a week. Hang it there and good luck on your changes.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Lodro and willpower, Please stop preaching about eating less. If you do it by all means that is your business but please stop trying to get other users to follow your unhealthy low calorie diets.

MFP is set up for users to lose their goal amount of weight in a healthy manner, if you don't like the way MFP does this you don't have to be here, and willpower 1400 cals for a man even without working out is not enough, you are going to burn off a lot of muscle along with the fat if you don't eat more on days you workout.

MFP is set up with a goal caloric deficit and you must eat 100% of your calories (including exercise ones) to meet this target. Not doing that and belonging to MFP would be like going to WW and not bothering to count points, these are fundamental in the programs you choose, so why would you ignore this.

OP please eat more, much much more, change your goal to lose 1 lb/week, unless you have over 75 lbs to lose then maybe try 1.5/week, and eat your exercise calories, slow and steady wins the race

Excuse me? Please read what I wrote: i merely suggested she reverse the ratio of carbohydrates to proteins. I didn't mention caloric intake at all.

I also want to point out to you, as I have several times elsewhere, that I am restricting calories because I am in a trial that tries to find out if calorie restriction and/or fasting has any influence on the formation of glioblastoma multiple brain tumors (which I have, in stage 3). Not everyone is here to lose weight. I'm not.
  • boognish1972
    boognish1972 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You don't eat dinner? My guess is that you're probably underestimating the portion sizes of the food you eat and overestimating the amount of exercise. It's human nature and I've seen myself, my wife and my friends all do it. One of the best things you can do is to have a kitchen scale and some measuring cups and make sure that you are only eating the portions that you are reporting in your food journal. You may be surprised.
  • tcld
    Options
    Haha, no I do eat dinner! I just went in and changed the settings today so that I could focus on eating small meals throughout the day so it went back and changed all my previous entries. I definately watch and track everything I eat so I am guessing that it has got to be too few calories.....we shall see!
  • tcld
    Options
    Just know that I take ALL advice with a grain of salt, and your advice was very much appreciated! Sorry about what your going through but I find it quite selfless that in the midst of it all you are doing a clinical trial that may or may not benefit you for the sake of medical advancement. Wow, thanks again.
  • runningneo122
    runningneo122 Posts: 6,962 Member
    Options
    Haha, no I do eat dinner! I just went in and changed the settings today so that I could focus on eating small meals throughout the day so it went back and changed all my previous entries. I definately watch and track everything I eat so I am guessing that it has got to be too few calories.....we shall see!

Try to keep your protein up on each meal as well. It has a higher thermic value so it ups the metabo a little and keeps the insulin from spiking and crashing which will make you feel hungry later and usually wanting carbs. The recommended ratio is 1g of protein for every 20 cals of the whole meal. 400 cals meal - 20g of protein which is abt 3 oz. of fish or 4 oz. of chicken or thereabouts.