greek yogurt..good?

Options
I have heard that the Greek yogurt is best for you. Anyone try it? Like it? What is better about it than other yogurt?

Replies

• Michelle228
    Michelle228 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My mom loves it she gets it plain and adds fresh fruit and sometimes buys the stuff with fruit in it. I tried it i got the blueberry and the raspberry and ill be honest i didnt like it at all almost tasted like i was eating ricotta cheese with fruit lol . For me ill stick with the nonfat yogurt. but if you like the greek yes its supposed to be a bit better for you then regular yogurt
  • calypott
    calypott Posts: 28
    Options
    I like some of it. Really depends on the brand. So far, my favorite is the Oikos with chocolate on the bottom. Yes, that's right, CHOCOLATE :)
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I just bought a really big container of it!!!! I didn't buy it to eat with fruit as yogurt though. I read a post where lots of people put it on anything they would put sour cream on. So I got it as a sour cream substitute!
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I've only tried the Cedar's Tzatziki Greek yogurt with cucumber and garlic dip- LOVE it! Some of my friends on here, eat the Greek yogurt with blueberry or strawberry and actually like it.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I LOVE greek yogurt. I find regular yogurt to be a bit sour/acidic -- and I can't stand it. To me, the greek yogurt has a much more pleasant and mild taste. I eat it every day for breakfast.
  • Ekaette07
    Ekaette07 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt.I use the Chiobani kind because it's supposed to be all natural. I haven't tried any other types though. I get my Chiobani in bulk from Bjs and usually have it with some organic granola for breakfast. They sell them individually if you wanted to give different ones a try
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I hate it the taste is different and tried a couple brands maybe just my taste buds
  • redrustdobe
    Options
    I recently tried Chobani greek yogurt. Is has a much stronger taste than low fat yogurts, but lots more protein. I guess it depends on your tastes, but I like it.
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I loooove it. It's important to read the label though, you'd want to get the 0% fat version, it's very high in protein per serving (18-20g)... that's why it's considered better than regular yogurt...because of the high protein content. It's also really thick and rich tasting even though it's non-fat. You can get it plain or flavored. My favorite is vanilla, but plain is good to use to make veggie dips.
  • Michelle228
    Michelle228 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I just bought a really big container of it!!!! I didn't buy it to eat with fruit as yogurt though. I read a post where lots of people put it on anything they would put sour cream on. So I got it as a sour cream substitute!

Using it as a substitute is a good idea. and the cucumber dip sounds awesome. maybe i should try it without the fruit lol
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Depends on the brand but the one that I like the best is Fage 2%. It is really creamy and actually tastes like a treat. Next favorite is Choboni and I didn't care too much for antheos it tasted sour to me.
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Ive only used plain as a yougurt substitute.
  • shmarlyboo
    Options
    I love the consistency of Greek yogurt, which is more like a sour cream. a lot more dense than reg. yogurt. I only tried the plain b/c it had the lowest calorie count, around 80. I didn't care for the taste. kind of bitter..and dry. I added blueberries and raspberries which helped with flavor but it's def not a favorite. still, I may continue to eat it for the simple fact that it contains more protein, less sugar and is still low in calories.

FYI, the Greek yogurts with fruit, honey, etc are higher in calories (120, 140, 170)
  • amylary
    amylary Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Chobani is the best and has the most protien in it , i add natrual honey to flavor it and its delish would be great with granola too !!!!!
  • lynnseyt
    lynnseyt Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice and new ideas!
  • LisaLN
    LisaLN Posts: 54
    Options
    I like it, too. A & E has a really good one that's Clementine. Greek yogurt has a little bit chalkier taste than regular yogurt...but it is WAY better for you with the protein. Give it a whirl. I've also tried the dips, and really love those. The substitution idea is great, too.
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    My FAVORITE is Fage plain with honey!! (Athenos makes one too... yummy as well.) It's all natural, and the honey adds sweetness to counteract the plain taste. SO delish and good for you!
  • shmarlyboo
    Options
    one more thing, I used some (plain) in place of sour cream on my home made burrito the other night. delicious!

I’ve also heard you can mix in one of those hidden valley veggie dip dry packets and it tastes the same, but is better for you!
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt much better than regular yogurt. The brand I buy (Zoi traditional honey-flavored) is as satisfying to me as ice cream. The protein content is similar to cottage cheese, but with much lower sodium.
  • matscichick
    Options
    I tried every kind the grocery store offered. I found one kind and flavor I like. Fage 2% Strawberry. I eat a container everyday w/ a bananna as a snack. It's a little pricey at $1.79 per container but I don't have to choke it down.