MFP Book Club - October

Options
Welcome one and all to the first month of MFP's Book Club!:drinker:

October's book will be "Marley & Me" by John Grogan
Chosen by MFP member: Lauryn 1981 (me:smooched: )
Marley%20and%20Me.jpg

Info on the book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marley_&_Me

On October 5th, a thread will be posted to allow discussion of the book.

:heart: HAPPY READING!!:heart:

:smile: :smile: MFP BOOK CLUB INFO:smile::smile:
Here's the Clif notes:
We’ll read one book a month, selected by a participating member. (This participating member will be chosen by me, on a rotation so everyone has a turn, and notified in advance.) Meeting up in person isn't feasible, so we will make a thread about the book, with the person who made the book selection doing us the honor of kicking off the discussion of the book. Anyone can participate in the discussion (obviously) but in order to be chosen to select a book to read, you will need to have “joined” the book club by emailing me (I’ll keep a master list).

Specifics:
• Member will be notified on the 1st of the month that they have the honor of making our selection for the following month
EXAMPLE: On September 1st, I’ll notify the member to make October’s selection
Member needs to have selection emailed to me as early as possible but no later than the 14th of the month
Please try to make sure selection is widely available
===If not, it will hurt the discussion thread, having fewer readers
===Try to keep your book selections CLEAN… something you'd recommend your mother or grandmother read. This said, I am suggesting a book I've never read before, so everyone please be understanding if a selected book isn't 'right up your alley'. The member who selected the book may have not had any idea of the contents.

• Thread will be posted on the 15th of each month announcing the following month’s book selection
EXAMPLE: September 15th, thread will announce October’s reading selection
This time frame is to allow members time to procure their book

• Thread will be opened on 5th day of each month for book discussion
This gives a few days to read and many days left to discuss. I can be easily persuaded otherwise.

• I’ll serve as admin for the group
keeping book club membership
selecting member to choose book each month
posting threads for announcement of book selection and discussion threads
general contact point for any questions or concerns

Replies

• Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Welcome one and all to the first month of MFP's Book Club!:drinker:

October's book will be "Marley & Me" by John Grogan
    Chosen by MFP member: Lauryn 1981 (me:smooched: )
    Marley%20and%20Me.jpg

Info on the book: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marley_&_Me

On October 5th, a thread will be posted to allow discussion of the book.

:heart: HAPPY READING!!:heart:

:smile: :smile: MFP BOOK CLUB INFO:smile::smile:
    Here's the Clif notes:
    We’ll read one book a month, selected by a participating member. (This participating member will be chosen by me, on a rotation so everyone has a turn, and notified in advance.) Meeting up in person isn't feasible, so we will make a thread about the book, with the person who made the book selection doing us the honor of kicking off the discussion of the book. Anyone can participate in the discussion (obviously) but in order to be chosen to select a book to read, you will need to have “joined” the book club by emailing me (I’ll keep a master list).

Specifics:
    • Member will be notified on the 1st of the month that they have the honor of making our selection for the following month
    EXAMPLE: On September 1st, I’ll notify the member to make October’s selection
    Member needs to have selection emailed to me as early as possible but no later than the 14th of the month
    Please try to make sure selection is widely available
    ===If not, it will hurt the discussion thread, having fewer readers
    ===Try to keep your book selections CLEAN… something you'd recommend your mother or grandmother read. This said, I am suggesting a book I've never read before, so everyone please be understanding if a selected book isn't 'right up your alley'. The member who selected the book may have not had any idea of the contents.

• Thread will be posted on the 15th of each month announcing the following month’s book selection
    EXAMPLE: September 15th, thread will announce October’s reading selection
    This time frame is to allow members time to procure their book

• Thread will be opened on 5th day of each month for book discussion
    This gives a few days to read and many days left to discuss. I can be easily persuaded otherwise.

• I’ll serve as admin for the group
    keeping book club membership
    selecting member to choose book each month
    posting threads for announcement of book selection and discussion threads
    general contact point for any questions or concerns
  • LAPETITERUSE
    Options
    Can I make a suggestion? Perhaps have the person choosing the book for the month pick 3 titles and have the club vote on it? I'm suggesting this because I'm really interested in joining because I love to read, but I would never read this book. It's not my kind of thing at all. So instead of having one person decide what everyone will read, have the one person select a handful of titles for everyone else to vote on.

Just a thought.
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Can I make a suggestion? Perhaps have the person choosing the book for the month pick 3 titles and have the club vote on it? I'm suggesting this because I'm really interested in joining because I love to read, but I would never read this book. It's not my kind of thing at all. So instead of having one person decide what everyone will read, have the one person select a handful of titles for everyone else to vote on.

Just a thought.
    I was thinking something similar. I've already read this book and I don't own it anymore. I wouldn't want to go out and buy it again since I've already read it. I never get to the library when it's open so that wouldn't be an option. I personally was just going to skip this month and come back for the next title
  • ellelit
    ellelit Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I won't read the book either. maybe if you're not up for that month's topic, you can just wait until the following month? not all books will appeal to everyone.

looking forward to November!
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I won't read the book either. maybe if you're not up for that month's topic, you can just wait until the following month? not all books will appeal to everyone.

looking forward to November!

I agree, even if we vote there will be people who aren't interested. I think we just have the option to join or skip that month depending on our interest level.

I wouldn't pick this book either, but I'm thinking that maybe it will be a good thing to expand my world.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Folks, I understand people will choose books that others don't want to read, but I feel the point of a book club is to read books that you usually would not, to broaden your literature horizons.

Honestly, I have no interest in reading "Marley & Me". I'm not a big fan of dogs. :frown: (I'm sure there are some making faces at me after reading that comment.) However, two coworkers recommended it to me, so I feel it's worth a shot. After all, it's a New York Times bestseller, as well as is being made into a movie this year (starring Jennifer Anniston & Owen Wilson --- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822832/ .)

I'm sorry some of you don't like the choice for this month. I hope you'll come back for the November club selection.

EDIT:
    I do think the club voting is a great idea, but I know that I don't have time to put it together monthly. It would require (at least, in my mind) sending every member an email, asking for their response within a certain time frame, and then compiling results. Again, great idea but I know I won't be able to handle that task. If a majority of people like that idea, and someone else is willing to take on that task, I'd be glad to institute it for next month. However, I'd need everyone's response that quickly so I can let next month's book selector know I need three choices. SO IF YOU WANT TO VOTE FOR ONE OF THREE SELECTIONS EACH MONTH, SPEAK UP NOW!! :bigsmile:
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think one selection is fine. People can choose to read or not.
    I read Marley & Me a couple years ago. It is a really good book. It's not the type of book I would normally read but i did enjoy it all the same.

I will back for the November book!!! :bigsmile:
  • kimford28
    Options
    YAY! I just happen to be reading thais book right now!!!!
  • bzymummy
    bzymummy Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Is this something that we have to join or do we just watch for it. I just joined tonight and I really don't know what I am doing yet. Can someone please help. LOL
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Is this something that we have to join or do we just watch for it. I just joined tonight and I really don't know what I am doing yet. Can someone please help. LOL

Just read the book, and come back on Oct 5th for a discussion thread. :wink: However, by posting here, I will add your name to the membership list so that you will have a chance to pick our book down the road.
  • redcoat45
    Options
    Word of encouragement.... I once took part in a challenge with my colleagues - The BBC once did a poll of the nation asking what the Nations favourite books were and they then posted a list of 200 ranked in order of popularity. The challenge was to see how many of the top 100 we could read in a year - though I didnt complete the whole list I have to say I read some books that I really really didnt fancy and was absolutely astonished how much i enjoyed them - those with a limited budget would borrow from friends or the library - other options are to buy from ebay or amazon which often offer some at excellent prices.

Sometimes you have to step out of the comfort zone - you might be suprised!

Count me in for this Lauryn... and appreciate the time your putting into this !
  • dothompson
    Options
    Oh, if you're keeping a list, I'm in. I'm not sure I made that clear.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

I gotcha lady :wink:
    I'm going to try to send out confirmation emails this evening to let everyone know I have them on the "membership list" (although I use that term loosely).
  • dothompson
    Options

I'm going to try to send out confirmation emails this evening to let everyone know I have them on the "membership list" (although I use that term loosely).

Lady??? I guess I need a better picture.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

:frown:
    I think I need better glasses and a bigger computer monitor!!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Is it too late for me to join? I'd love to pick out a book one day :smile:

I'll order this book with my next check. I've been thinking about it for a while...a girl in the hospital with me back in Nov was reading it and seemed to enjoy it. :heart:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    Is it too late for me to join? I'd love to pick out a book one day :smile:

I'll order this book with my next check. I've been thinking about it for a while...a girl in the hospital with me back in Nov was reading it and seemed to enjoy it. :heart:

You're on the list.

And since I'll never have time to email everyone individually, here is the list of members I have currently:
    alifelessevident
    angelajiniel
    bellmom627
    bzymummy
    connieq288
    destiny_206
    dothompson
    ellelit
    Fitness_Chick
    heartshapdworld
    honeybunchthree
    jackeh
    Jackiemal
    Lauryn1981
    LeelaStar
    LokiFae
    kimford28
    kjllose
    MChandler
    MollyK
    MontanaGirl
    newmk08
    pinkpixies
    pmkelly409
    redcoat45
    reet34
    susan62
    tall_t
    tlg314
    Ynot

If you aren't on there and would like to be, send me a private message!
    (Click my name on the left to go to my profile, then click the "Send Message" button from my profile)
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

:noway: :laugh: cute comeback MAN!:drinker: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: dang and you beat me to it AGAIN Shannon!:grumble: :tongue: