Calorie intake... need to rant a bit

Options

Replies

• altazin0907
    altazin0907 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Ok I understand that everyone needs to eat their exercise calories, however I can't find any information on this, I tried the internet and the book store, has anyone found articles on this other than peoples post on MFP? :huh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    If you look at most other sites they ask you how often you exercise as part of the intake information.

If you say you exercise moderately 5 days a week they will add this addl caloric deficit to your calories allowed.

When I did it my out come was 1500 calories a day. That included 5 days at 300 cals each exercise session.

So MFP instead of assuming you will actually DO the exercise, which we all know doesnt always happens, gives you a baseline and increases the cal consumed on the days you DO work out.

I hope that made sense. :bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :tongue: :noway: :grumble:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :heart: :drinker: :yawn:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :drinker:
  • psyknife
    psyknife Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • beckybubbles
    beckybubbles Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    okay so here is a question to the initial thread. if my calorie intake for the day is 1700 -500 for a pound a week weight loss that means that i should be eating 1200 calories a day. However my BMR tells me that it takes 1350 to just lie around and be alive. So really how many calories should I be eating? Is one pound of weight loss too much for me to lose in a week healthfully? I understand that when i work out it tells me how many more calories to eat b/c of the exercise, but if I don't work out and just do my normal daily routine is 1200 too few calories and tempting my body to go into starvation mode? I want my metabolism to get back on track.
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    I am 150. I eat 1200-1300 if I do not exercise. I have pretty much lost 1 pound a week and feel great. By doing it this way I have learned a new way of thinking about food. Food = Fuel.

:flowerforyou:
  • psyknife
    Options
    becky... if you BMR is 1350 then you also need to add in your daily activity level and the amount of calories you burn with exercise. You'll want to subtrack 500 calories from your total burned from BMR, daily activity level AND exercise. You should be able to adjust the BMR on MyFitnessPal if you do custom goals.
  • piperelliott
    Options
    WOW, this is one of the most informative threads I've read. THANKS YOU GUYS!

I've really been struggling to get rid of the last few pounds and I think this thread is touching on the reason. I'm exercising like crazy, mixing up running, biking, and lifting. I'm enjoying it and am in much better health than I was 3 months ago, but still stuck at the same weight. Candidly, it's now a challenge for me to eat over 1500 calories per day without resorting to junk food. The calories I eat are healthful. No Burger King, etc. Yet here I am, stuck at 185. Yes, the good news is that I can run faster and longer, but I'm still 185 and have some belly that won't let go!

I guess the problem I'm having here is that it is so completely counter-intuitive to eat more in order to lose weight. I'm honestly not hungry, I'm not tired, I'm not cranky, but I'm also not losing my last 10 pounds. I really fear that adding calories at this point will undermine everything that I've gained thus far. Very scary.

I'm all ears and I'm guessing other folks are out there with the same dilemma. Ideas?

Again, this was a GREAT RANT!
  • beckybubbles
    beckybubbles Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    thanks for the input. i will check that out.
  • psyknife
    Options
    Those last 10 pounds are honestly the hardest pounds to lose on the whole journey. When you get down to those last 10 pounds a HUGE part of it really comes down to nutrition.
    You want to make sure you eat the calories recommended...
    I hang out on another forum as well, and they have fitness and nutrition experts on there who answer questions... they've advised many people trying to lose that last 10 to up calories by 200-300 when stuck... most of those people are scared to do it, but when they do they actually start to see weight go down again. If you are filling those calories with healthy foods then I wouldn't worry... if you fill them with white carbs, then, yeah, there may be an issue.

Congrats on all you've done, though! That's totally awesome, piperelliot!!!!! :drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    bumpin cause psyknife ROCKS :smooched: on this thread and I like to keep it up high on my topics to keep up with the lastest posts:flowerforyou: :drinker: :drinker:
  • arewethereyet
    Options
    :glasses: *bumpin on the sly
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :yawn:
    :glasses: *bumpin on the sly
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    :smooched:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    BUMPBUMP.gif
  • bendover
    Options
    I am a little confused on the calorie intake issue. I am trying to eat 1200 calories a day and burn 4-500 calories 5 days a week, I didn't realize I would have to then eat 1600 calories a day. I just thought I would get faster results by sticking to the 1200. Would someone clear this up for me.