8 glasses a day?!

Options
Do I really need to drink 8 glasses of water a day? Don't get me wrong, I use to drink a lot of fruit juices, so I think switching over to water is definately beneficial. No more sugars! Also a glass when I'm hungry keeps my stomach at bay. But 8 a day seems so excessive for me. The only time I drink that much or close to it is when I workout super long and I down 4 glasses in between or afterwards. Either that or I'm forcing it down my throat which is annoying because I feel really bloated. Plus I heard it's only a myth that you need 8 glasses a day because there is lots of water found in most fruits and vegetables. If you get the right ones in your diet - which we should- you should drink only about 5 -6 glasses a day. Is this fact or **** and bull? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Id say at the least 8... and if you're working out probably more. cause you're sweating. It's not hard for me to get to 14 or so when i work out. Drink up ;)
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    Tough to say factually, but 8 glasses will not hurt you, especially in regards to your kidneys and digestive system. I probably get in 12 a day, and thats just from carrying a water bottle around with me at school and at home. It does take some getting used too.
  • nikkigiesige
    Options
    Im not sure if it is true or not, but I am the same way. I only drink water when i eat or when i work out, and usually nothing in between. I still have lost the weight not drinking water, but i have come to find out that if i dont drink a lot of water and do a big workout i tend to me more sore afterwards. Everyone always told me it was because of the low water drinking that causes my muscles to be more sore. BTW i LOVE fruit juices....specifically cranberry, have you found any "diet" juices that you enjoy...i cant find anything!!
  • tmyers541
    tmyers541 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Check out what Snopes has to say about 8 glasses of water a day :) was just interesting to read.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I felt the same way at first, but now down between 10-12 glasses a day. I do use a sugar free mix in them, because I don't like plain water, but I dilute it so I add one packet of mix to 32 oz instead of 16.
  • carrieloveshk
    carrieloveshk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I understand it's 8 cups (the measurement), not glasses a day. And I believe 1 cup holds 8oz. That is about 2lts of water a day. It's really not that hard, unless you have big glasses and you're trying to drink 8 servings of those! lol

I may be wrong, though.
  • jessimacar
    jessimacar Posts: 291
    Options
    if you think of it as something you just have to do it makes it easier. maybe try to get a glass or two before work with breakfast, a glass before your lunch, one with your lunch, and another through the afternoon, then have at least 2 after you get home from work..

that will spread them out. set a specific time to have each glass and work it into a daily routine, maybe that'll make a difference..

hope this helps!

**Yes!! I understand as well that it's 8 cups, not glasses! I use glasses that are small, or count a large glass as 2. Measure how much your cups hold, you may be surprised!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    It is NOT 8 glasses a day! It is 8 CUPS a day. 1 CUP=8 ounces. A typical drinking glass is about 16 ounces so you are getting 2 cups of water.
  • ChelDM
    ChelDM Posts: 145
    Options
    I am in a pre-op surgical weight loss program through the hospital...8 glasses is a requirement to flush toxins, and encourage water loss...I know it sounds backward but the more water you drink the less your body retains non-essential fluids...the less you will weigh.
  • UcallMeJay
    Options
    I can get 8 glasses down a day easy now. At first it was tough.
    I buy 16 oz bottles of water, so that is two servings per bottle.
    I drink my water at room temp, I find it is easier to drink more that way, but it is totally preference.

My tips:
    Drink a bottle of water right after you wake up. and I mean drink it as fast as you can. This will help get you metabolism kick started for the day, And then have a bottle of water before bed. that is 4 servings down!

And I pretty much drink a serving of water every few hours. You will be going to the bathroom alot. I usually go to the nathroom then drink some more water.

Think of it this way.Nutritionally, water is worth 0. When you drink water it is making your body process something all the time. So it keeps your metabolism going all day. And it is good for your liver, which is what processes FAT and if there isn't enough water your liver stores the fat.

And as you drink water instead of juices or soda, you will be saving calories that you can use for food. And you don't eat as much because you are filling yourself with water.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I was taught during culinary and when I had my gastric bypass the body needs to be refilled with half your body weight in water each day. water is what washes out yucky stuff. plus it helps u not to hold on to water weight which can slow down your losing pounds on the scale.
    I drink above the recommended water needs , simply because I work in a kitchen and workout to burn 1000 cals a day 3x's a week.
    Yes other drink products have water in them but you would need to know what % is in them. but u know your body best..

before I had my surgery I never drank water.. i was a Mtn dew girl.. but when I was told that water is what is best to keep weight off me I down it now
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    This is what I think in intresting about water and the body. I have read the same information in several places. Is it a must that you have to drink 8x8 glasses of water. Maybe not. But it helps say healthy then why not!! give this a read and decide what is best for you!

This is just one site that I found in a quick serch

http://www.colonhealth.net/free_reports/h2oartcl.htm

Water suppresses the appetite naturally and helps the body metabolize stored fat. Studies have shown that a decrease in water intake will cause fat deposits to increase!
    And an increase in water intake can actually reduce fat deposits!
    Here's the reason why...
    The kidneys cannot function properly without enough water. When they do not work to capacity, some of their load is dumped on the liver. One of the liver's primary functions is to metabolize stored fat into usable energy for the body. But if the liver has to do some of the kidney's work, it cannot work at full throttle.

Drinking an adequate amount of water every day is the best treatment for fluid retention. But when your body is given less water than it needs... it perceives the shortage as a threat to survival and will begin to retain every drop. Water reserves are stored in extra-cellular spaces (outside the cells). This water can show up as swollen feet, hands and legs.
    Diuretics only offer a temporary solution at best. They force out stored water along with some essential nutrients. Again, the body perceives a threat and will replace the lost water at the first opportunity. Thus, the condition quickly returns.
    The best way to overcome the problem of water retention is to give your body what it needs — plenty of water — only then will stored water be released.
    If water retention is a constant problem for you... excess salt may be to blame!
    Your body will only tolerate sodium in certain concentrations. The more salt you eat, the more water your system retains to dilute it. But getting rid of unneeded salt is easy — just drink more water!
    As the water is forced through the kidneys, it will remove the excess sodium.
    Over weight people need more water than thin people. Larger people have larger metabolic loads. Since we know that water is the key to fat metabolism... it follows that the over weight person needs more water to metabolize excess fat.
    Water helps to maintain proper muscle tone... which in turn, aids proper muscle contraction and prevents dehydration. It also helps to prevent the sagging skin that usually follows weight loss. Shrinking cells are buoyed by water which plums the skin and leaves it clear, healthy and resilient.
    Water helps rid the body of waste. During weight loss, the body has more waste to get rid of, and all that metabolized fat must be shed.
    Again — water helps flush out this waste!
    Water can help relieve constipation . . .
    The colon is a primary internal water source. When the body gets too little water, it siphons what it needs from internal sources. Result? Constipation. But when a person drinks enough water... normal bowel function will return.
    So far, we have discovered same remarkable truths about water and about weight loss... The body will not function properly without enough water and cannot metabolize stored fat efficiently. On the household weight scales... Retained water shows up as excess weight.
    It may seem strange, but to get rid of excess water... You must drink more water!
    Drinking water is essential to losing weight.
    How much water is enough?
    If you are a normal weight for your height, then on average you should drink (8) eight — 8 oz. glasses of pure water every day. However, if you are overweight you should take (1) one additional glass for every 25 lbs. of excess weight you are trying to lose. The amount that you drink should be increased if you exercise, or if the weather is hot and dry.
    Preferably, your drinking water should be taken cold...
    Cold water is absorbed more quickly into the system than warm water. Some evidence suggests that drinking cold water can actually burn calories. To utilize water most efficiently during weight loss, follow this schedule:

Morning: 1 Quart of pure water over 30 minutes
    Noon: 1 Quart of pure water over 30 minutes
    Evening: 1 Quart of pure water between 5-6 P.M.
  • sacchariine
    Options
    Im not sure if it is true or not, but I am the same way. I only drink water when i eat or when i work out, and usually nothing in between. I still have lost the weight not drinking water, but i have come to find out that if i dont drink a lot of water and do a big workout i tend to me more sore afterwards. Everyone always told me it was because of the low water drinking that causes my muscles to be more sore. BTW i LOVE fruit juices....specifically cranberry, have you found any "diet" juices that you enjoy...i cant find anything!!

I haven't actually. Although I hear pure cranberry juice is really good and healthy too! I normally buy actual juices with real fruit in them. I stay away from anything that has cocktail on it or something like frutopia. I miss my juices, I love 'em too! But it just seems for me to drink a glass of juice is not worth the 100 something calories if I can have a glass of water.
  • destoni85
    destoni85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Ocean Spray has diet sparkling cranberry for sure in little cans. It's delicious. Good juice with a spash of carbonation. makes giving up soda worth it!! Give it a try! :)
  • UcallMeJay
    Options
    It is NOT 8 glasses a day! It is 8 CUPS a day. 1 CUP=8 ounces. A typical drinking glass is about 16 ounces so you are getting 2 cups of water.

If you are drinking 8 glasses (16oz serving) a day then your are drinking 1 gallon of water a day. Pretty impressive!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Sounds like snopes just went and got some controversial opinions. I know when I studied kidney physiology in vet school I got this message - fluids make the kidneys happy! I have def. noticed a difference when I drink my 8-10 glasses a day. I used to drink 3-4, I did have to pee alot when I first pushed myself to drink more, but now my body has adjusted and I really do feel it helps with cell function and my skin looks so much better! Just my personal experience.
  • sacchariine
    Options

Sorry for that. I meant 8 cups. I have rather large glasses. Two cups of water fits in my glass (I know, I actually brought the measuring cup in would you believe). So I have about 3 of those a day, sometimes I get to 4. It still seems like so much! I suppose my body is just getting use to it.
  • destoni85
    destoni85 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I can get 8 glasses down a day easy now. At first it was tough.
    I buy 16 oz bottles of water, so that is two servings per bottle.
    I drink my water at room temp, I find it is easier to drink more that way, but it is totally preference.

My tips:
    Drink a bottle of water right after you wake up. and I mean drink it as fast as you can. This will help get you metabolism kick started for the day, And then have a bottle of water before bed. that is 4 servings down!

And I pretty much drink a serving of water every few hours. You will be going to the bathroom alot. I usually go to the nathroom then drink some more water.

Think of it this way.Nutritionally, water is worth 0. When you drink water it is making your body process something all the time. So it keeps your metabolism going all day. And it is good for your liver, which is what processes FAT and if there isn't enough water your liver stores the fat.

And as you drink water instead of juices or soda, you will be saving calories that you can use for food. And you don't eat as much because you are filling yourself with water.

:drinker: Rock on; good info, thanks.
  • Belle_Fille
    Belle_Fille Posts: 469
    Options
    i have actually heard you need half of your weight in ounces. so if you weighed 200 lbs you need 100 ounces of water- more then 8 cups a day.
  • HannahPastoor
    Options
    I drink at least 13 a day (or try)....