Thoughts on Lean Cuisine, Weight watcher meals etc

Options

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i'm a fan -i eat them almost everyday. the sodium doesn't bother me. taste-wise, i prefer lean cuisine and healthy choice over WW/
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I find it just as easy to grill up a few days worth of chicken breasts, add some frozen veggies and some rice or quinoa and portion it out between containers and then I'm ready for the week.
    I prefer the taste of my own cooking and don't mind the preparation and planning this takes which really isn't much at all.
  • omgitsgarry
    omgitsgarry Posts: 138
    Options
    I only eat them when I don't have enough calories for my mothers cooking or they are eating something I don't like.
  • LG61820
    LG61820 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I tried these at one point. I found some I really, really REALLY liked. So much so that I would eat two of them. Wait a minute, missing the point I think. I gave them up I still relied on processed food quite a bit, just not the frozen meals. I am now trying my hand at cooking and it's going ok. Who knew sweet potatoes were delicious and filling? ;->
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I'm sooo sick of hearing people bash these. Really, the only downside that mostly anyone can come up with is "high sodium" - however, even on days where I eat a lean cuisine, I don't go over sodium. Its about balancing your food choices. There are SO many other foods with high sodium that people don't even think twice about stuffing down. All the lean cuisines are completely preservative free. They're sensible portions, with reasonable nutrients. To eat one once in a while isn't a huge deal. Without them, I probably wouldn't have lost much of the weight that I have.

I'm a single student at school full time, with part time work. I'm not gonna cook for myself every night - the food ends up going bad! I hate when others give such a strong (and incorrect) opinion that these means are terrible - they're not.

High sodium isn't the only thing. They're highly processed. Processed food looses much of the nutritional value it might have had otherwise and other things are added to make up for it (like more sodium to bring back flavor lost).

Sorry, I never bought the "I don't have time because of X" excuse. I'm a full time graduate student who also works part time and has my own small business in art and stained glass on the side. I never cook every night. Thats sheer tomfoolery for people who have the luxury of time and better cooking skills than I. (Enjoyable tomfoolery because I love to cook, but still...) BUT I do cook most of my own meals. I will plan out my time so that I have a few hours to make a bulk healthy meal that keeps well in the refrigerator or in the freezer. When Im hungry, I take some out and rewarm it. Most of what I make lasts for anywhere from a week to a month. I have yet to find ANYONE who doesnt have an hour or two every other week to be able to prepare a meal in bulk. Most people have time to fit in TV watching or hanging around on forums like this. Why not take that time and instead prep a healthy meal and cut the processed crud?

I really don't think it's for anyone to judge whether a person has adequate time or not. Our situations are all different, much like our bodies. People shouldn't be judged for a food choice that really isn't that bad in the first place!!
  • strawberryromper
    strawberryromper Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat them, but I think sodium is a non-issue. I'm never anywhere near my recommended sodium intake for the day, so if I cut it close when I eat one of those, I think I'll be fine. I also don't generally have a problem with preservatives.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I know they're not great. The problem is in all the sodium. I lost weight eating them though. You're not supposed to lose weight when you drink diet soda either but I did. I get the prepackaged meals because they're fast and easy.
  • Aylilth
    Aylilth Posts: 125
    Options
    You know what do what "you" want!!!!

yes they are high in salt and blah blah blah....... but hey drink lots of water and you'll be fine. If you like them then go for it. I have some in the freezer for occasions where hey I just don't feel like much else and it's better then getting KFC right.

Do what works for you if you like them eat them!!!!
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    My complaint about them isn't nutritional, but financial. I can make a healthy meal for my family of four for less money than it would cost to buy the pre-made meals for us all. And there's usually leftovers for a later meal for either my hubby or myself. I am loathe to pay extra money for something that I can just as well myself (and actually flavourwise, sometimes better). I am also loathe to pump money into the quick-fix diet industry when I working on making changes for a lifetime.
  • loupammac
    loupammac Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Funny you should mention this, I had one for dinner tonight actually. I worked all day and had a Weight Watchers "Spaghetti and Meatballs" one along with a few other bits and pieces, which are (probably) also processed. I'm okay with that. I didn't blow my sodium today, in fact I was over in Protein (by one) and in Sugar by a lot but it was mostly fruit. I know some are from the sugar-is-sugar crowd but really, I don't mind. I used to live with people who were big "clean eaters" and it's just not for me.

It's just my Mum and me so if we see the meals on sale, we'll pick them up. It's not like they're a staple item on our shopping list or anything. I think as an occasional quick-fix they are perfectly fine and I completely understand having one every day for lunch as well. After all, isn't that similar to the Lite and Easy program? Do what works for you. When I was packing my lunch this morning, I looked at the "healthier" alternatives in my fridge and I turned them down because I really felt like the meal!! :)
  • LazyMogg
    LazyMogg Posts: 162
    Options
    I've used them on occasion in the past but now I'm trying to lose weight by using 'real' food.

The problem with all these ready meals and doctored foods is that they don't give you the true taste of anything. I used to eat a lot of Mullerlight yoghurts, for instance, but now I find they only taste of sweetener and I'd rather have natural bio yoghurt and stewed fruit. I find the Weightwatchers meals to be particularly nasty tasting: too much spicy something or other or far too much sweetener. Their dishes based on tomatoes taste too sharp and acidic for my liking and I'd rather make my own veggie pasta dishes.

Then there's the cost of these products. As someone else has pointed out you can often make dishes much cheaper than you can buy the ready meal and you may get more meal for less calories sometimes too. The other night I made butternut squash risotto and then a pan of butternut squash soup with chunky vegetables, all from one small squash and a few left over bits of veg. No added fat and I whizzed up two thirds for a nice thick soup. It was delicious and cheap! I took some to work for lunch and have two more tubs in the freezer for another day.

And don't get me started on the high sugar, cardboard texture of these so-called low fat biscuits and cereal bars etc. They are just horrible!
  • ItsMissMuffy
    ItsMissMuffy Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I always prefer real homade food.
    It's easier for me to control what I eat, besides the pre packaged meal don't fill me up or satisfy me :-P

Mary
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    There is a rather large woman in my office who eats these WW microwave meals for lunch.

The portions are tiny, the food looks terrible and it's actually really expensive for what it is (like a tiny bit of chicken, half a carrot, 7 peas drowned in some weird salty sauce...).

I come in with a tuppaware pot of my beef stew which is twice the volume yet only 2/3 of the calories of her meal.

A couple of hours after she had lunch she is raiding the chocolate vending machine because she's starving.

Kind of defeating the object me thinks.
  • sincitylulu
    Options
    I eat Lean Cuisines 2-3x per week when I am too lazy to cook anything. Always eat with a huge salad.
  • jewels319
    jewels319 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My complaint about them isn't nutritional, but financial. I can make a healthy meal for my family of four for less money than it would cost to buy the pre-made meals for us all. And there's usually leftovers for a later meal for either my hubby or myself. I am loathe to pay extra money for something that I can just as well myself (and actually flavourwise, sometimes better). I am also loathe to pump money into the quick-fix diet industry when I working on making changes for a lifetime.

I completely agree on the cost.....I enjoy Lean Cuisine....actually finding I like things they have which I never ate before...right now Stop n Shop has them 5 for $10. Not bad...if you do one a day for lunch.....I find now that I bought them....I dont over do what I prepare for lunch.....
    I am trying to change my mindframe on eating first then gunna tackle the exercise stuff. The adjustment stinks but in the end it all will be worth it.
  • Lovemydounts
    Lovemydounts Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    lean cusines was what i ate the first two months for dinner & lunch and it helped me lose 26 lbs cause they have the calories on the front pack and its easy and some taste really good.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I will eat these frozen dinner/meals and burritos for lunch sometimes - though I will only buy Amy's or Kashi or Evol or some other more natural or organic brand. They are going to be more like real food than a lean cuisine or weight watchers. Read the ingredients and make a decision on if you are willing to put it into your body. It is not feasible for me to cut out processed foods totally, and neither do you, you just have to be smart and sometimes picky with your purchases.

Also Amy's has a light in sodium line of food that you should look into if you are concerned with sodium.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    I dont eat them because I think they taste awful I have not found even 1 that I like
  • ♥Violette♥4Ever♥
    Options
    They do have a lot of calcium but I have eaten them for all three meals because I'm a lousy cook and can't stand my own cooking. I watch my sodium intake very carefully when it comes to a side dish and snacks and have managed to keep my sodium around 1750 every day.

For breakfast...I have the Smart Ones have french toast and I add a cup of fresh stawberries and blueberries or strawberries and banana. My diary is public, feel free to take a look.

Good luck.
  • jewels319
    jewels319 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Today I discovered the most grossest Lean Cuisine has got to be the Salmon with Basil and whole wheat Orzo. Maybe its just me but yuck.......I find the ones with the shrimp are really good. Yesterday I had chicken tenderloins with parmesan spinach....pleasantly surprised....I finally like spinach.