Frustrated beyond belief-WHY is there a weight GAIN??

Options
I am SO disheartened-for 5 weeks now I have been doing what my doctor has told me to do. I go to the gym almost everyday, do cardio (including zumba), strength training twice a week.. and have changed my eating habits-out went the wine, sodium, pasta, cakes, bread and cheese...in came the high fiber veggies and fruits, non fat yogurts, flax/multi grain lowfat high fiber cereals...protein from chicken and fish... and my excitement 2 weeks ago of finally seeing 10 lbs lost!! and this week, i've gained three back!!! what on EARTH??? I feel so down in the dumps, I really have been working SO hard to implement the changes I was told to do, and I no longer feel good about myself the way I did when I saw my progress those few weeks ago.The weight gain has me feeling like no matter what I do I will never shed the weight I put on these past few years. I would understand if I had given in and was eating burgers and fries and drinking lots of wine...etc... but I HAVEN'T. I've been good, I've applied myself. :( Has anyone been caught off guard like this when they HAVEN'T fallen off the wagon?? What do you do? How do you motivate yourself to keep plowing through? I am usually a positive person (believe it or not!), but this has really got me down. :cry: I could really use some motivation or some techniques some of you have used to keep on truckin'....
Thanks for letting me get this off my chest...

Replies

• tmyers541
    tmyers541 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Most likely muscle gain. Everyone will eventually gain some muscle from strength training, but you should start going back to losing weight. Maybe even faster with extra muscle. Keep your spirits up and give it a little more time. :)
    I'm keeping myself motivated because I've been through this so many times that I just expect gain from muscle at some point.
  • kdrew11
    kdrew11 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    This happened to me yesterday and I put on 2 lbs. I did have 2 bad days for celebrating my fiancé's birthday but when I worked out my calorie intake compared to the deficit from the rest of the week I was still well under what it should take to maintain. If anything I should have lost a little. It makes you feel like you can't have a couple of bad / normal days without putting on.

However, when I calmed down and thought about it rationally I thought about all the times I had lost weight in the past and the same thing has happened. I then remembered the times I stuck to it after this and within 1 or 2 weeks it came off and then you continue to lose. It is just your body going into starvation mode and holding back the calories instead of realeasing them. It will give them up eventually cos it has to. You just need to be patient with it and try not to get disheartened cos if you perservere it WILL come off. Also it may be to do with menstrual cycle and water retention.
  • BeastieGirl
    Options
    Hi,
    I suspect because you are working so hard (well done!) you are gaining muscle. The other posts are right, you will start to lose weight again. Have you tried taking your measurements instead? I've had exactly the type of week you've had. I've worked so hard and my clothes felt looser, but my weight has hardly shifted. But, when I measured myself, I had lost an inch from my waist and my hips.

I do a lot of strength training too and I'm definitely seeing a shift in my body shape. Keep going you're doing really well and try not to get disheartened:smile:
  • Luckymam
    Luckymam Posts: 300
    Options
    I think the main problem - and we're all guilty of it - is using the scales like a sort of lottery; if the number is pleasing, we'll have a good day, if it's not, we throw in the towel and give up.

Only get weighed every 2-4 weeks if the scales aren't saying what you want them to say. All sorts of things can affect weight. Water retention, waste products (yes I mean poo and wee!), food lying in your system, etc.

I'll give you an example. A couple of weeks ago I had lost around seven pounds. I went out on two nights and after the weekend I had, according to my scales, put on 5lbs. I was disheartened but was determined to continue. The next day, I had lost 6lbs according to my scales. It's just not possible to be up and down so much in one week so it HAD to be water.

Also, I went on holiday a couple of years back. Just for a week in Spain. When I came back I was 10LBS heavier. I was devastated! Literally two days later, I was 9lbs down. My doctor said it must've been water retention because I was in a hot country.

Focus on health. What you are doing is being healthy. Don't forget how important that is. My sister had heart attack last week - she's 31 years old. She's also inactive and overweight. You're protecting yourself against nasty health scares like this, and, I can assure you, unless there's something medically wrong with you, you are LOSING WEIGHT. Just because your scales don't always register it, it doesn't mean it isn't happening!
  • tmyers541
    Options
    Personally, I've only weighed myself once, and at that point I hadn't lost a pound... but I had lost 3 inches in most places! A week later and my clothes are even more loose.. but I refuse to focus on the scale and just on how my clothes fit and my energy/stamina level. I do cardio 3-4 times a week 30 minutes to an hour each, and strength training for 45 minutes 2-3 times a week.
  • goohan
    goohan Posts: 155
    Options
    well done for not fallling off the wagon! thats a great achivement and because of it, your body is getting a lot more healthy. don't worry about the weight because its probably something little like water or did you know bowels can hold up to 8lbs? Keeping up the good work is all the matters and the weight will follow xxx
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    P. A. T. I. E. N. C. E.

The body will always readjust to its new weight with a fluctuation. It's a sense of balance that happens with life. It happens for everything that lives. For every person that dies, another is born. So on and so forth. -10 lbs + 3 lbs = -7 net lbs. I don't see a gain anywhere in the math logic. So far, doing what your doctor has told you to do seems to be working, in my opinion. Ask your doctor, next time you see them, if it's normal for the body to constantly lose weight without stabilizing itself. The result is usually that there's something wrong because there's no homeostasis. What if you hit your target weight and couldn't stop losing? Would you still be excited about the loss?

I'm not intentionally getting on your case... ok, I am, but it's the mere subject of not seeing the bigger picture for actual success that just makes me feel elated with frustration. It's only been a week since the fluctuation. If it moves in any direction, up or down, it means your metabolism is still active. If it moves one way, it's just as easy to move it the other way. You just have to wait for it to happen. Your body will lose weight again when it's ready. Getting frustrated and stressed out will make you stop losing weight. It will trigger the release of cortisol, as most know, is the hormone that keeps the body from dealing with any kind of stress, and that includes exercise, because it's a physical stress. When you relax, take a minute to chill out and know that you're still doing the right thing, you'll realize that it's not that big of a deal.

To answer your questions, I have gone through fluctuations. They were frustrating in the beginning. I learned to utilize the abundant amount of patience I have, to allow the fluctuation to happen. I remained confident in my ability to lose weight. I also changed certain routines such as eating a bit more on certain days, and eating a bit less on others. I took rest days on different days. I increased the intensity of my workouts. I increased the duration of my workouts. I drank more water. I increased my fiber intake. I increased my protein intake. I increased my overall daily calorie intake. I gained weight on purpose just so I could lose it again. There are so many things you could do differently or modify. Just stay focused on your goal. There will be more fluctuations later on. Guaranteed. So learn patience now or learn it later, but you're gonna have to learn it sometime.

Good luck and stay motivated.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Most likely muscle gain.

Most likely not to be muscle. You don't build 3 pounds of muscle in a week, and unless she's lifting serious weights she wouldn't have build 3 pounds of muscle in 5 weeks.

I wish people would stop blaming muscle on everything without having the faintest clue how slow lean mass actually develops in women. :grumble:
  • KelliesCupcake
    Options
    I can completely understand where you are coming from ive been struggling with the same thing, i think its just something that we need to have patience with along the road, sometimes the body weighs more due to reasons such like water retention or waste retention, what i would do is try to drink a little more water than usual as this helps the body to understand that water is in plentiful supply or try a gentle senna laxative. Maybe that will help things get moving again :-) i hope everything works well for you and well done for not falling off the wagon
  • boognish1972
    boognish1972 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Personally, I've only weighed myself once, and at that point I hadn't lost a pound... but I had lost 3 inches in most places! A week later and my clothes are even more loose.. but I refuse to focus on the scale and just on how my clothes fit and my energy/stamina level. I do cardio 3-4 times a week 30 minutes to an hour each, and strength training for 45 minutes 2-3 times a week.

This is the key. Weight sometimes fluctuates, but remember that your goal is to reshape your body. If you didn't measure your waist, hips, neck, etc... before starting your diet program, do so now and use that as your key indicator of progress, not the scale.
  • mosaicpaloma
    Options
    THANK YOU, THANK YOU, thank you! To all of you blessed souls who responded!( And to Phil, it's okay to get on my case, I DO need that at times.) I devoured all of your responses, and it is exactly what I needed to refocus on the important issue with this lifestyle change; health. I did not measure myself, but will do so today, and keep that as a progress journal rather than using the scale. Reading everyone's input about their own fluctuations and progress has been greatly motivating, and a lesson to me to readjust my attitude regarding this process...I appreciate all the input!
  • tmyers541
    Options
    Most likely muscle gain.

Most likely not to be muscle. You don't build 3 pounds of muscle in a week, and unless she's lifting serious weights she wouldn't have build 3 pounds of muscle in 5 weeks.

I wish people would stop blaming muscle on everything without having the faintest clue how slow lean mass actually develops in women. :grumble:

Since I read this, I did some research, now I'm pissy with the people who told ME 'oh, its just muscle gain' lol.
  • mosaicpaloma
    Options
    LOL. I am going to do some research to. This "muscle weight" seems to be used often when explaining weight gain when working out. I was surprised to see backinthenines comment. I have so much to learn still.... again, thank you all. :)
  • AndrewTheWise
    Options
    Very simple explaination is water weight. Nice cat, btw. I have an Egyptian Mau.
  • petey49
    petey49 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been at it for 5 weeks now. Not as intense on the exercise as you. I was happy when I lots 5 pounds in the first week, but then the scale didn't move. What has changed though is how my clothes stopped shrinking in the closet. Most of them actually streached. I think the scale is a tease, but looser clothes are definately telling me something.
  • mosaicpaloma
    Options
    "Very simple explaination is water weight. Nice cat, btw. I have an Egyptian Mau. "

I have been reading up about water weight, a particular annoying problem in us women, apparently...

Thank you. The pic is of Sasha, our little Calico. I also have a tabby that looks very similiar to Egyptian Mau, he is beautiful. His name is Darwin, on account of he's polydactyl. :)