Can you eat too many GOOD fats?

Options
Hi,

I've been noticing that I tend to go over on my fat intake on my diary most of the time. I use mostly (about 90% of the time) olive oil or canola oil to cook with, and I eat nuts pretty often. Also, I mainly buy leaner cuts of meat when possible and reduced fat dairy, so I am fairly confident that I am getting mostly poly and monounsaturated fats. Usually this is only about 1-5g over, but today for instance, I was 10g+ over my fat intake. I was curious if anybody knows if having too many good fats is a bad thing. I am not overweight and eat within my calories, but I am more interested in fat intake as it applies to heart disease. The only information I've read about this issue is of the Inuit eskimos that eat mostly fish, so their diet is EXTREMELY high in fat (mono and poly), however, they have low incidence of heart disease...of course, this could be due to the differing genetics of this ethnic group or diet or both. Any other information out there?

Replies

• spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    Options
    In my opinion yes...the human body hasn't evolved that much since the past days.
    (a few thousand years are nothing, spoken in durations of evolution).

Take a look at human civilisation 10.000 years ago. Their nutrition was entirely different. More naturals, like berries, seasonal fruits and vegetables and less meat.

The changes made in the food industry in the last 50 years are dramatic.
    Everything is always available and we have got to many options. On the one hand this might be blessing, but on the other hand it will be our health's curse. Simply because our bodys hadn't the time to evolve as fast.

Even if you mostly eat "good fats" you are eating a lot more than your evolutionary seen thousands of years old body.
    I try to avoid all additional fats like oil and butter. If I cook meat I usually don't use that much oil...only half a teaspoon or sometimes even no oil at all.

Nuts are good...of course...but keep in mind, which effort had to be expended for a few thousand years to "harvest" them. Find a nuts bush, collect them, peel them and only then you were able to eat them.
    We tend to eat too much of them, because we can buy them in 1kg-packages :ohwell:

In my opinion our sparsely evolved human bodies don't need that much fat as always propagandized.
    One should try to calculate what our ancestors a few thousand years ago have consumed...that would really help :smile:
  • newuser111
    Options
    bump!! :smile:
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    simple answer: yes, just like you can go over on good complex carbs
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    If you are close to your target when you go over you are probably doing okay, especially if you are mostly eating healthy types of fats. Going over by 10-15g every single day isn't the best idea, but if you're over occasionally you're probably also under occasionally. It's all about balance.
  • rachpiper720
    Options
    I watched a great documentary called on this last night called "Fathead." It streams on Netflix if you have it if not, here is the website with most of his information: http://www.fathead-movie.com/ It is a slightly comedic answer to "Supersize Me." Basically lives on a fast food diet for a month with a 2000 calorie/day limit. He didn't limit fats, only kept the carbs below 100 g/day. He increases his exercise from walking 2 times a week to 5. In the end, he loses something like 12 lbs and loses like 3% body fat, and decreases his cholesterol. In it, he explains what fats are considered "good" vs. "bad" and the implications with the supposed "good fats" and "low-cholesterol and low-fat" diet over last 50 years (obesity, heart disease, diabetes). It also gives a lot of well documented, peer-reviewed studies to support his hypothesis and debunks the science on which the American Heart Association bases their low-fat, low-cholesterol diet. He lists the good fats as animal fats, nuts, avocados, and coconut oil. The vegetable, corn, canola, and if I remember correctly, olive oil are the bad fats. Anyway, it was quite interesting. Just give it a whirl and judge for yourself. Like the above poster, I think if you balance it all out with over some days and under others, you'll be fine. Moderation in all things!
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    You might wanna start tracking the ratio of saturated to poly and mono unsaturated fats. Really if you go over a little on healthy fats, but are under on overall calories, you're probably just fine.

I do disagree with spaboleo. Our diets used to mainly consist of fruits, yes, but always lots of nuts and fish too! If we're really looking to go back to our roots, we should start eating bugs again. Now there are some good fats and protein.
  • Jwpawlowski
    Jwpawlowski Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I should try and track my ratio of fats some time...that would be interesting for alot of people to do!! Great suggestion!