Tips for not binging when out with friends?

Options
First Post :D
Right, so I always go out with my friends to the cinema and just around my town and things like that. They are all fairly skinny and always buy packets of biscuits and sweets when we're out. I have told them I'm trying to lose weight but I'm not going to stop them eating what they want, but its so hard not to buy something myself or eat a few biscuits when they're offered! I always end up eating WAY over my calorie limit (1200). I'm good in the week but Friday to Sunday is terrible for me! Anyone have a similar problem or any tips on how to resist temptation? Help is always appriciated, and this seems like a very friendly community :)

Replies

• xp0sed
    xp0sed Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    When I go to the movies I bring my bottle of water and carrot sticks. I ignore what they're eating and do my own thing.
  • momogogo
    momogogo Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Have a protein bar and water before you go out. You won't be hungry so it will be harder to fall into the craving.
  • nurse_chris
    nurse_chris Posts: 189
    Options
    i agree with xposed... bring your own snacks.. it takes a little will power and time to get used to saying no. I know my friends used to give me a hard time on wing nights when i order a salad and diet pop and they are having pints and wings..... It was hard at first, but now, some of the guys are actually ordering sandwiches instead of wings.... its a start
  • LeslieRoyale
    LeslieRoyale Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I always try to eat a nice healthy meal or snack before I go out with friends...that way, when they start the snacking of treats, I'm not hungry and can resist. Just fill your tummy up with water instead :) And if you really want to partake, just have a taste, or make one biscuit last by breaking off small bits...and drink a lot of water in between bites :happy:

Good luck!! You can do it!! :flowerforyou:
  • gt45891
    gt45891 Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm known for showing up with fruit, or premeasured granola cereal, and guzzling lemon water or Diet Coke! (yes, -at Pizza Hut, et. al.)
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    you cud take a couple of cereal bars or low-cal snacks with u? and drink either water or diet soda?

hope this helps :)
    Kirstie x
  • barbarajean3
    barbarajean3 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem when I'm w my sister. I have learned to just say no and smile.:flowerforyou:
  • Colleen1980
    Colleen1980 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I always keep a few low calorie snacks in my purse. You can also anticipate if you are going out and try to eat fewer calories in the earlier part of the day so you have more for evening. Or, I like to exercise more to get more calories back. If you are going out to eat you can look at the menu online before you go and pick out something in your calorie range. I've been doing this awhile now, and I don't even look at a menu bc I get distracted by yummy looking high calorie stuff. I just order what I picked before I left the house.

I think this is hard for a lot of us, definitely for me! Good luck, you can do it!!! The more I lose the less people joke with me for the things I'm eating. :-D
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    This happens to me, too--the weekends are when I am most likely to mess up! I have realized that I am definitely a social eater, and it's hard for me to restrain myself when others are feasting on yummy things all around me.

So, here's what I've been trying to do: if I know I will be going out with people, I go ahead and log calories for what I think I'll eat when I go out (i.e. I will go ahead and log the movie popcorn or the big, greasy dinner before I even eat them). Then, I know about how many calories I have left for the rest of the day, and I can make my food and exercise choices accordingly. For example, last night, I knew I'd be eating popcorn and drinking wine at the movies, so I had lots of veggies for dinner and let myself indulge when I went out--and I still stayed under my calories for the day.

I personally cannot deny myself the social activity of eating with people I love, and I think that suppressing a craving sometimes just makes it worse! But if you build yourself in some wiggle room, then you're prepared. :smile: