Stupid scale...

This is the 4th week of me working out every day (250-400 cal cardio on elliptical, running, or step aerobics), plus I'm eating around 1300 cal per day (I'm satisfied throughout the day), and watching fats and sodium... I'm eating my workout calories too... and I've put on 2 pounds! IT IS SO DISCOURAGING!!!
I havent measured myself, and I will cuz that might be where it is showing... but still!!!! I should be loosing something!!!!
HELP!

Replies

• figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    This is the 4th week of me working out every day (250-400 cal cardio on elliptical, running, or step aerobics), plus I'm eating around 1300 cal per day (I'm satisfied throughout the day), and watching fats and sodium... I'm eating my workout calories too... and I've put on 2 pounds! IT IS SO DISCOURAGING!!!
    I havent measured myself, and I will cuz that might be where it is showing... but still!!!! I should be loosing something!!!!
    HELP!
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    I asked on the other post, but I'll ask here, too. How are you calculating your cals burned?
  • figueres3
    figueres3 Posts: 104 Member
    With my elliptical maching's calculation of how much I've burnt... I use MFP's info to calculate calories burned from different exercises...
    But I'm also eating well balanced meals that are lower in fat and high in protein... Even my carbs are pretty good...
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    You may be burning more/less than what the elliptical and MFP say. The very best calculation is a HRM. The elliptical will say I only burned 60 cals for thirty minutes, and yet I KNOW my heart rate was in a burning area long enough and high enough to have burned more.
  • I cannot stress it enough - water water water!!!! You may need to drink more than 8 glasses of water. This happened to me and when I added more water - it melted off really fast. Also, when you do the elliptical - do you do interval training? That will burn calories so much faster.

One interval workout to try that I really like:

Go 4 minutes at a normal pace at a low tension.
    Then for 30 seconds, crank up the tension and go as hard as can.
    Then kick it back to normal pace and lower the tension for 1 minute.
    Keep alternating between 1 minute normal and 30 seconds hard-core.
    Do this for 25 minutes.

It tricks your body so that it doesn't get in a rountine with movements. And switch up with the machine you use. One day do bike, one day elliptical and one day treadmill.

Hope this helps!
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    There are some of us that find we gain weight when we eat to the exercise level of the allocated calories MFP provides and that variance may be due to the detail we provided when we entered the program in the beginning.

I, like others, have found that if we eat to the base calories recommended by MFP and then only eat above that level if we're feeling hungry during the day with between meal snacks of healthy items like fruit, veggies, etc.

When I first joined I found that I too gained weight but when I started backing off of the bonus calories I lost weight at a very regulated pace. There aren't too many times that I'll eat to my max for the day (counting exercise) but I enjoy them when I do :wink:

Drinking a lot of water too is a very good idea because I have found, at least for me, that when I keep my water consumption up to the 8 or more a day that I will keep my weight moving in the right direction. On the days or weeks that I don't drink enough water I will stabilize or gain 1/2 lb in a weeks time.

You have to pay attention to your body and what it tells you it really needs and not what your mind thinks you need. So, if you're not feeling hungry during the day then back off on a few calories and gradually work your way down to a lower calorie intake without going below the minimum recommended by MFP.