Migraine Sufferers

Options
I was diagnosed with migraines about 6 months ago. I find that sometimes when I am working out hard it starts to trigger a migraine. Also, if I already have the start of one and still try to go to the gym it just gets worse in the long run.

Any tips or suggestions from those who have been through this on what to do to avoid triggering one, and what kind of exercise is safe when you do have the start of one?

Replies

• stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Did the Doctor give you a precription? My daughter takes Midrin for hers. Takes at 1st sign and really helps most of the time!
  • chrissyb1985
    chrissyb1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Not exactly the answer to ur question but.....I was diagnosed with migraines in july and have been on 14 dif meds since then will no relief. Not when I start to get one from exercise I pop a ginger supplement. Make sure u ask a doc or pharmacist to make sure it won't conflict with anything though it shouldn't. Ginger really helps if taken at the beginning. Thanks to ginger and feverfew supplements, I am med free and my migraines have improve tremendously. Also my migraines due to exercise are worse if I don't breathe properly hwile exercising! Remember don't hold ur breath! Hopes this helps. Feel free to add me if u want :)
  • miss_little_me
    Options
    Dont worry! I get migranes all the time, especially when i work out. What I find helpful is to make sure that you are constantly drinking water. Also, certain diet foods (diet coke, diet pepsi, etc.) also can cause migranes. So if you are going to work out make sure to drink plenty of water and stay away from those kinds of sodas, until afterwards.
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    I'm one of those rare male migraine sufferers. I always carry Excedrin Migraine in my car just in case. I don't always get an aura, but if I feel a migraine coming on then I take two. If I get a full blown migraine then I don't bother working out.
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    i do not have them....but my friend had them constantly until she starting a daily regiment of magnesium tablets. she swears by it....has not had one since she started the supplent in addition to her daily multi vitamin about a year ago..
  • moonay
    moonay Posts: 30
    Options
    I was given migraleve plus from the doctor which is amazing, pink tablet when migraine is coming on and yellow one when it has hit. Also I use the migraine cooling strips for my head to ease the pain.

Exercise wise my doctor recommends anything that doesn't raise your temperature too quickly and nothing lying down. I have found the best thing for me is cycling or a walk in the fresh air.
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Interesting post because I have just started getting migraine type attacks since I've been doing this. Never had them before and I'm not getting terrible headaches, but I get an aura for a few minutes then my head aches for the rest of the day. It's happened about 6 times in the last 2 months - 4 times over a 5 day period in january and then twice in the last 3 days. I had a big work out earlier and I got the aura as I got out of the pool and have had a dull ache ever since. There doesn't seem to be any common link though (not particular times of day or if I'm hungry etc) and it's not a hormonal thing because I don't have any of those!

Be interested to see what others have experienced
  • darla499
    darla499 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I get them all the time. They're horrid. I can't function at all when I get them. They put me flat out with a rag over my eyes and a towel tied around my head.

I have to take Imitrex for mine, but the trick is that I'm supposed to take it PRIOR to getting the migraine. Sometimes there just is no notice. So like someone else here mentioned, I take Excedrin Migraine with a strong, strong cup of black coffee and an Imitrex and hope for the best. Doesn't work all the time, but it's the only solution I have in a jam.

Good luck!
  • flutterqueen04
    Options
    I am a suffer too. I have noticed in the last few months that the more weight I lose, the less and less I have them. I still get one a few days b4 my period but if I drink loads of water the week leading up to it, it either isn't that bad or doesn't happen at all!! I have found, for me at least, that it actually helps to exercise during a headache/start of migraine, as long as its low impact. I will hop on the treadmill or do strength training. Basically anything that gets your blood pumping through your whole body. Usually its gone by the time I am done. This is just me though. Hang in there. When I was just starting out and had migraines I thought I was just going to be stuck in a never ending loop of migraines and weight gain. You'll find what works for you and conquer them :)
  • beautymkt
    beautymkt Posts: 60
    Options
    I have been suffering migranes monthly for 15 years. Been taking different meds since and right now I take Treximet and it seems to work for the moment. I drink caffeine to help with the pain on notice of it coming as well as Treximet. Caffeine does help. (Coffee, chocolate) Drink plenty of water.....extra oxygen intake. Take breaks in between and make sure you are doing proper breathing techniques when exercising. Migrane or chronic headaches occur because not bringing in enough oxygen to your brain.

Talk to your doctor about a daily preventative med if you are getting them that often. Hope this helps!! Good luck! :love:
  • kdrew11
    kdrew11 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Depends how often you get an attack but I was getting them every few weeks and am always guaranteed them at the time of the month so my doc put me on pizotifen which I take daily and seems to help. before this I tried atenolol and epilim which worked but only for a few months until I guess I must've got immune or something. When I get an attack I take diazepam and diclofenac which sometimes works if taken early enough but it depends what your doc says if you have only just started getting em. Some people are affected by foods and caffeine but for me it tends to be stress and seem to be getting them far less in this job than in my previous. I often am affected when exercising too but I think this, like stress is due to your heart beating faster. Have you thought about maybe doing some kind of 'relaxing' exercise like breaststroke swimming?
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I have to echo the water message.
    I was diagnosed with migraine at age 4. I'm not almost 34.
    Exercise with one coming on is a no, no for me as I'll end up in bed for hours and hours.

Dehydration is a major cause of my migraines and I'll often get one after a hard workout if I've not drunk enough.

Someone also mentioned breathing.
    This isn't related to diet at all but I bought myself a trumpet a few years ago and tried to teach myself to play.
    I found that the breathing needed to sustain a note would clear my head and ward off a migraine sometimes.

I take Sumatriptan (UK Brand Name - Imigran)

I hope you are able to manage the migraines.
  • reegordon
    reegordon Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I get migraines a lot as well and I read somewhere that magnesium supplements are good for headaches. I brought some and they do seem to help when I feel one coming on. However, it did seem to make me nauseous when taken with my other vitamins so I try to take it alone.
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I get migraines a lot as well and I read somewhere that magnesium supplements are good for headaches. I brought some and they do seem to help when I feel one coming on. However, it did seem to make me nauseous when taken with my other vitamins so I try to take it alone.

I also heard this and started to take it.
    BUT it made me get one!
    I considered it a coincidence the first time but the second day I took it, it happened again!

I have intollerances to a lot of things so hope this was just one of thos.
    I'm glad it works for you!
  • ybent
    ybent Posts: 10
    Options
    I have had migraines for over a decade. Drink plenty water and STOP WORKING OUT WHEN IT HITS!
  • kettlewitch
    kettlewitch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    From reading some of these posts I think I might have dehydration issues. I had undiagnosed diabetes for a long time ( in denial) so I was drinking so much water I never had to think about it. Now I don't have the urge I do tend to forget. From now I will drink drink drink! Thanks ppl
  • cath129
    cath129 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i've had migraines for over 10 years now so i know how horrible it is. definitely try to stay hydrated. but if i know i'm going to be doing something likely to cause a migraine (for me, it's flying), my doc suggested i take two alleves 30 minutes beforehand just as a precaution.
  • PamDW
    PamDW Posts: 246
    Options
    Did the Doctor give you a precription? My daughter takes Midrin for hers. Takes at 1st sign and really helps most of the time!

Midrin is wonderful and it is non-narcotic.... I also drink coffee, the caffeine helps ward it off... most of the time mine hit in the middle of the night.
  • carrie_lebel
    Options
    I take imitrex injections and they are gone in 5minutes. I don't have to catch it ahead if time. The con is it is a shot and you shoot it into the leg stings for a sec. And then you feel lightheaded for a couple minutes. It has saved my life.
  • Iris0022
    Iris0022 Posts: 54
    Options
    High sodium foods and MSG are the major triggers for me. Any time I eat Chinese takeout or pizza with garlic salt flavored crust, I can pretty much guarantee getting a migraine. And as others have said, drinking a lot of water helps which would seem in line with flushing out the salt.