What is a cup!!!!!

Options

Replies

• kidtechnical
    Options
    Online conversion tools are great for occasional use, but the point of MFP is to be quick and easy to use, having to visit an online conversion site before inputting EVERYTHING is an additional hassle. A simple filter could just get rid of cups (or mls or fl oz etc)
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    It's like togs and duvets!!!! but thats an entirely different rant
    :huh: Togs are something completely different from duvets in Ireland :noway:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    a cup = 24 ounces when it comes to cofffee :laugh:
  • wanda1956
    wanda1956 Posts: 110
    Options
    You need to buy a set of measuring cup...you will find them in cooking section at walmart or any store..if you can't find just ask sales clerk they can help.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    They don't mean "cups" (which is a slang word or a glass or coffee mug). They mean an actual cup (an amount). You can buy measuring cups at the store which are presized and come in 1/4 cups, 1/3 cups, 1/2 cups, and 1 cup. 1 cup= 8 ounces.

That is the biggest mistake I see when people are trying to get their 8 cups of water in a day on here. They don't mean a glass. A glass is usually equal to 2 cups or 16 ounces of water! A cup is an actualy scientific measuring amount.
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    One Medium onion is about 44-46 calories. One cup is also 8 oz.
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Cups is a 'cross the pond' aberration and is confusing and pointless to those of us on this side of the pond. But this is a US based site with mainly US based users and so that is what you are going to find I am afraid. Just shout at the computer like I do *CUP?? CUP??? HOW MUCH IS AN EFFIN CUP???' it helps me no end.

I LURVE Rhodri Gilbert and the duvet rant...first time I saw it I laughed so hard a little bit of wee came out....lol
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    hahaha, i get the same feeling when recipes are in grams.

me too! thank goodness for google! :smile:
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    nother little tip. a cup is roughly the size of your fist. (obviously, if you have chewbacca hands, adjust accordingly) :laugh:
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    You use measuring cups! You mean you have never used a measuring cup?
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    One Medium onion is about 44-46 calories. One cup is also 8 oz.

for liquids not necessarily solids.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    You use measuring cups! You mean you have never used a measuring cup?

they don't use the same measurements in the UK.
    would you know what to do if I told you to drink 500 mL of water?
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    What on earth is a tog?:embarassed:
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    Aha - poundstretcher here I come (I think we've got one in town!) :smile:
    I love pounstretcher, i think i bought 2 set one is just cups the other has 3 cups and measuring jug thingy.
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    Kwardkinck yes I do use lots of recipes but they all use ounces or grams or ml's I do not have one recipe book that measures in cups
    i poped into my local British heart foundation charity shop and found an old Rosemary Conley low fat cookbook. At the beging she gives you the explaination on things like measurement and breaks everything down, like liquid measurements, weight conversions imperial and useful meausres like egg measurements, wine quantites oven temps, so when she says 1 cup it's 16 tbls=8fl oz=250ml. It's brill and all for a couple of quid.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Search through them all. I can usually find one that does cups, grams or whole products.

A scale may be handy for this case?

For the most parts a cup is about the size of your hand and I count that no matter the density or mass of the chopped whole foods.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    A cup is a thing that holds liquid so you can drink it........lol im sorry i couldnt resist:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It's like togs and duvets!!!! but thats an entirely different rant

Just wait until you try to find swede in the database (there is some now but wasn't always)... and then people think you're some weird canibal boiling Swedish people...

It's called "rutabaga" over there apparently... :huh:

Roo-taa-bei-gaar... :huh: hmmm....
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    They're talking about an actual measuring cup size. I've also heard its similar to the size of your fist.....
  • kdrew11
    kdrew11 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    :laugh: