Walking?

Akronite0883
Akronite0883 Posts: 67
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Which one is more powerwalking when I enter it? is it 4.0 very brisk pace or 5.0 MPH?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I figured out my walking pace by walking on a treadmill that shows the rate of speed. 4mph is about as fast as I can walk--VERY brisk pace-- at 4.1 or 4.2 I really have to start jogging, so I would think that 5mph would be beyond even race-walking speed.
  • That totally depends on your stride in my opinion. However, I speed walk everyday at least 4 miles, regardless of where. Most days though I am homebound and have to do my miles on the treadmill. What I manage on the treadmill is "4 mph" before I have to start jogging. On the road I can manage "4.4 mph" according to my GPS/ heartrate monitor. However, I know my calorie expenditure because my HRM has a calorie counter which is 200-300 higher than the calculor for that speed gives here on MFP. I know that may not be true for everyone. I just created my own exercise since I know the numbers/ time/ distance/ calories. In your case, if you don't have a mechanical device to wear to keep track, I would go with the lowest numbers such as "4" to keep in the safe zone.
    I hope that helps just a little!
    Good luck.
  • kmunis
    kmunis Posts: 48 Member
    It definitely depends on your stide - I am just under 5 foot so for me a very brisk pace shows up as 3.5 mph on a treadmill since I have to take so many more strides than someone who is 5' 8"
This discussion has been closed.