suggestions for a non breakfast eater

Options
i know ur supposed to eat breakfast everyday, but i am not and never have been a big breakfast eater. any suggestions, i was thinking of trying carnation breakfast or something along those lines. help. thanks to all that reply.

Replies

• california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I hate breakfast too. I always have. Since starting the journey towards being healthier, I have gotten used to eating breakfast...so it can be done. I usually eat either 1/2 cup of 0% fat Fage greek yogurt with 1/8 cup of plain walnuts, 1/2 tablespoon of honey and 1/8 cup of dried unsweetened cranberries. If I am in a hurry of just getting tired of the yogurt, I will have a protein bar. I like Luna bars, Pure Protein and NuGo bars (the last two are usually available at Costco).

These tend to fill me up and keep my going. Good luck to you.
  • rrboruff
    rrboruff Posts: 24
    Options
    I'm not on the slim fast diet, but I drink a slim fast shake on my way to work every morning. That way I don't have to "make" anything for breakfast, it's full of vitamins, and it easily fills me up till my mid-morning snack. It's worked well for me!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I am not a big breakfast eater either. When I do eat something, it is a piece of toast or fruit or cereal or maybe a granola bar. Just something quick and easy.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I was never a big breakfast eater either. I started off last summer with smoothies (yogurt and frozen fruit and a banana) or just some fruit/cheese for breakfast. I try to get in some protein at breakfast or I am hungry again in an hour or so!

Now I usually eat oatmeal, cereal/milk/fruit, eggs with veggies and a little cheese, or a peanut butter sandwich. :) Remember that you don't *have* to eat "breakfast foods" for breakfast!
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Hi, I also struggle to eat first thing in the morning. I've started just eating breakfast at a slightly later time, so more like eating brunch. I find this way easier to digest.
  • Michelle_J
    Michelle_J Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    ditto to ladybg81. Granola bars are fast, portable, come in 90-100 calories. Bam, you've got breakfast. I have one when I'm running low on time.
  • jesshasredhair
    jesshasredhair Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have to be much. Just SOMETHING to signal to your metabolism that you are up and running. Otherwise it'll slow down for the ENTIRE day.

A handful of almonds and some grapes.
    Greek Yogurt and fruit
    A scoop of protein powder in milk with a banana and peanut butter, blended.
  • Beej731
    Beej731 Posts: 7
    Options
    Breakfast does mean to break your fast so that is why it is so important to eat this meal. I used to never eat breakfast either. Now, what I do is break it up. I might grab an oz of cheese or a hard boiled egg at home before I leave for work, then eat an apple or an orange within a hour or so after I get to work. It helps me because then it seems I am eating every two hours of so, something light.
  • kmunis
    kmunis Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I love a small egg white omelet with a little parm cheese and some herbs amd pepper. So quick and easy to make and not filling.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Just some food for thought. I've been reading a few studies which look at the importance of breakfast and they all conclude that there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that eating breakfast is compulsory for weight loss. In actual fact, the myth that 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day' was created by cereal companies to encourage people to buy breakfast cereals (which for the most part are laden with sugar).

Anyway, I too am not a fan of eating breakfast but used to force myself to eat something because I felt I had to in order to lose weight. Now, I just have a cup of green tea and this is sufficient until I feel ready to eat.

And to all those 'experts' who will want to shoot down what I have said: I am not an expert, I understand that different things work for different people, I'm just presenting a different viewpoint.

I just thought I'd share my experience with you in the hope that it may take the pressure off of 'having' to eat breakfast. If you want to read more about this idea check out leangains.com

all the best
  • allistrawberry
    Options
    I really don't like many breakfast foods that are good for you, but I have made an effort to switch things up in the morning since joining mfp. I like all of the carbs you eat at breakfast, so I recently I have been adding in a few slices of precooked bacon to whatever I am eating. Breakfast is super important to get your metabolism going, so if it is the foods you don't like...eat something that is not traditionally considered a breakfast food. Maybe leftovers from the night before would work.

Here are the things that eat...
    Fat free cottage cheese with blueberries or strawberries
    Banana with bagel thin
    High fiber english muffin with 2 slices of bacon
    Instant grits with bacon
  • khrys1
    khrys1 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I just can't eat for about 2 hours after I get up, by which time I'm at work, so I haul bananas with me to work and eat them during break. Also, granola bars are pretty easy to carry!
  • IndigoFlowers
    IndigoFlowers Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've always enjoyed scrambled egg whites! Or sometimes even leftovers (if I am absolutely clueless on what to make for breakfast).
    An all-bran bar works well too, 130 calories, and it's full of fiber, so it fills you up.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    soup!
    I like a nice warm (microwaved) mug of veggie soup in the morning..full of vitamins and very filling.
    Its already in a big batch in the fridge, so its easy.
    That or an english muffin toasted with a dab of light peanut butter. warm & gooey!
  • AdvoCareActive
    Options
    Www.advocareactive.com. Chocolate Meal replacement bars they task great and unlike most stuff I can eat them before I workout without feeling nausea. Just started a bootcamp with biggest looser prior contestant and they use their products. Science and medical board to ensure it works fc dallas womens professional soccer fellowship Christian athletes all support the products
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Protein drink every morning. Not Slim Fast or Special K type. One with 20 or more grams of protein. It keeps you fuller longer and it much healthier for you. You can do the powder kind to make smoothies. Many people also add the powder to Greek Yogurt or Oatmeal in the morning if you want to try that.

I prefer the ready made Premier Protein - Chocolate, really helps with hunger. I also do one for lunch about 5 days a week too. I just advise you increase your fiber if you decide to do a protein drink.

You can do it! Stay Strong!