Counting Calories or Counting WW Points?

Options
Hello Everyone!

I'm wondering which is easier? I find that I'm eating way below my calorie goal and it's not allowing me to lose as much weight as I should be. Thinking I'm going to try counting Weight Watchers Points and see what happens. Can anyone tell me your experiences?

My starting weight was 257.18 lbs (116.9k) , I'm down to 246.18 (111.9k). I've lost 11 lbs (5k) in 3 weeks. :)

Thanks!

Replies

• jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    Reality check 11 lbs in 3 weeks what where u hoping for
  • phyllis45
    phyllis45 Posts: 25
    Options
    11 lbs in 3 weeks is good kido you wanna go slow. I was doing weight watcher for a while and lost 20 lbs (thyroid, menapause) then they switched the points and they way they do it. I find counting cals are better if you are eating below your cal goal and exercising your gonna have problems. I go to weight watchers still for the support but do the cal thing. Good luck and you are doing great!!!!!! Realy slow and steady wins the race.:flowerforyou:
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Well if your down 11 in 3weeks then what you are doing now is great. I tried WW years ago and I did not care for it. I found the extra points and carrying over points allowed me to figure out ways to still eat the bad stuff. I know you should not use your points this way but when your not use to eating right thats what happens. I also didn't care for the fact that some of their food line is really full of sugar. Anyways it didn't work for me but maybe it will work for you.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about WW, but a friend of mine did it, and she said that you have to calculate the points based on calories, fiber, and something else. To me at least, counting calories is easier.

And good job on your 11 pounds!
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    IMO I really dont see the diffrence between this and WW just that WW is a lil more comlicated and not free
  • Still_Sossy
    Still_Sossy Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I did WW for almost 2 years, it is more complicatd than counting calories. Figuring the point values for everything is a pain, really, you do get used to it like anyghing else, but counting cals. is easier.
  • Boooie
    Boooie Posts: 110
    Options
    ww old point system i have done and lost 9 stone in a year but put weight back on but that was my own fault from not eating healthy as i was laid up a year with a bad back. I have compared what id have in points on ww and in calories here what id eat in calories here is about 14 ww points where on ww id be on 20. The plus side of calorie counting is you tend to eat much healthier but with ww you can lean more to eating not so much healthy stuff so you would have to be stricter and make sure you dont get tempted to blow your points on naughty things. I never used exercise points i earned on ww and rarely carried points over to use another day even if i was a couple of points under some days.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    11lbs in 3 weeks is a LOT, so congrats. Anything that promises faster results than that is probably something where you'd gain the weight back.

Keep counting calories and make sure you are eating at least 1200 so your body doesn't begin to think it's starving--that will slow down your progress.
  • TimarieS
    TimarieS Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Normal, heatlthy weight loss is 2 lbs a week, so you are already losing more than average! If you lost anymore you would have to be on one of the starvation diets... WW promises about the same weight loss, and requires you to eat extra when you work out as well w/ the new points system... I also find it more complicated, both of my parents are doing it right now
  • IvySummers
    Options
    Wow!. Thanks for all the great responses!. I do realize that 11lbs in 3 weeks is pretty good...I guess I'm just comparing to my last weight loss. In May of 09, I started dieting and loss 21 lbs in 4 weeks. I was doing so good. It almost feels like I was a lot less strict back then, and barely exercised. This time around I'm really watching everything I eat and the weight loss is slower. Maybe it's just that I'm almost 2 yrs older and it's affecting how much I'm losing. I don't really know.

I guess I'll just trial the WW points for 2 weeks and see if it's better or not. I feel that maybe if I watch points instead of calories, maybe I will eat my daily goal without feeling too guilty. We'll see.

Thanks so much for replying to my post and encouraging me!. You all are an inspiration to me!

Ivy
  • jenni3001
    jenni3001 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used weight watchers for about two years. The old way was fantastic. It was easy and I lost weight fast. When they converted to the new way, It was more difficult. I spend hours at the grocery story with my app trying to figure out points to what I was buying. It was more effort, not free and less motivating because I would lose an average of one pound a month ( and I was staying within my points, working out and not even using my extra alloted points). I did the math for a week and realized that while i was staying within my points for weight watchers, I was actually eating about 500 calories more a day than I realized and that's why I wasn't losing any weight, even with workouts. Since I joined mfp less than a month ago, I've seen nothing but progress. Its way easier and its free.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    WW is just too darn complicated. I have tried it many times, only to fail because it took too much effort. Plus, I think it gives you too much freedom to eat too many unhealthy foods out there, so long as you counted the points. Well why not just count calories, carbs and protein.

I am so thankful I found a program where I only have to think about one meal a day. The other 5 meals are basically grab and go and that has been a lifesaver for me. This program has been life changing. I concentrate on protein/carb alanced meals, eating 6 times a day. Its the best.
  • Mollywater
    Mollywater Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Well, I LOVE WW, personally, but cannot afford the 40.00 per month for in person, and online the peeps are seriously rude. I was successful with WW before I had kids. I do find counting calories MUCH easier and more realistic.

Also, 11 pounds in three weeks is AWESOME! I wish I had that! I only have lost about 7 pounds in three weeks!!