STOP trying to lose weight!

Options
(Please forgive me for having posted this under another threaad, and then reposting it here - just want to bat it around a bit with y'all :drinker: )

I don't this of this is a weight loss effort which implies temporary changes in an effort to lose weight. Instead, it is making permanent changes in my life to be healtier with one one side effect being weight loss. Life changes should be dramatic. Life changes are things like divorce, career change, major illness, etc. They should result in a dramatic change in the course of your life. By putting healthy living in that context, it occupies most of my daily thoughts and efforts - as I think it should. Healthy living (for me) means consuming healthy foods in proper quantities and exercising my body. The side effect of healthy living is weight loss.

Replies

• luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    A M E N !!!!
  • ashers1819
    ashers1819 Posts: 160
    Options
    Yes! That is what I find so frustrating about the forum... people seem to get upset if they don't lose 10 pounds a week. It doesn't work like that!!!!!
  • loverunning11
    loverunning11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Exactly! It is a lifestyle change! I have lost 41 pounds and it has taken me just over a year to do so, but I feel great now and it was worth the extra time and hard work. I now eat much healthier and workout pretty much everyday! I can't imagine going back to the way I was living and eating before.
  • teasha43
    teasha43 Posts: 101
    Options
    Completely agreed:) have an awesome day!
  • sftb
    sftb Posts: 40
    Options
    Very well said!
  • dengarrett
    dengarrett Posts: 367
    Options
    Yes! That is what I find so frustrating about the forum... people seem to get upset if they don't lose 10 pounds a week. It doesn't work like that!!!!!

Yeah I kind of see two groups of people on the forums - those that are looking to lose a total of 10 pounds and those of us that are looking to lose a total of 100+ pounds. I work with a guy that is an avid runner and competes in many events. He has has no need to lose weight, but he still uses a program like this just to maintain his health. I think all of this is great and it's wonderful that the program can be used by everyone. But for those of us needing to lose 100+ pounds - the overall need is just completely different. It needs a lifestyle change.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Personally I think they go hand in hand if you are overweight...if you are eating healthy you are going to lose weight. HOWEVER, I also think that if someone is obese and they start trying to lose weight...even if they are eating junk all the time...they are a step ahead of where they were. Nothing is more unhealthy than being obese AND eating unhealthy. So if someone is changing one thing at a time (losing weight but still eating junk) that is a good thing. THEN hopefully at some point they will see the wisdom of changing their eating habits. And I think it is a given if you are in it for the long run it does consume a lot of your thoughts...whether losing weight or eating healthy. You have to plan which involves time. For myself, I have continued to eat healthier as I do this longer. I eat tons more fruit and vegetables than I used to. But I hope to "evolve" even more. I think the best we can do is set good examples, post encouraging topics and try to motivate by example those that aren't eating as healthy or exercising as much or whatever. Bottom line each of us live different lives, have different likes/dislikes and are going to approach this differently. And even when you talk to doctors, nutritionists or exercise trainers you get as many different theories on what the best approach to health/weight loss as the # of people you talk to. I hope everyone on here...whether for weight loss or healthier eating or both has GREAT success:flowerforyou:
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Now, before I put my foot in my mouth, I'm a newbie and have only been on this journey since Jan 1, 2011 and I'm sure I will learn as I go. I only started MFP because I wanted to train for a half-marathon and wanted to watch my calorie intake. I've become addicted to running/exercising and as a result can feel my mindset and habits changing. Water is now my best friend, I've been healthier choices and still some of what I want in moderation and I can't wait to exercise. When I started to loose weight that was just a bonus and now is a secondary motivator in my training.

With the support from people on here I consider friends and the new joys I have found, I don't ever feel tempted to go back to my unhealthy, lazy self.
  • dengarrett
    Options
    HOWEVER, I also think that if someone is obese and they start trying to lose weight...even if they are eating junk all the time...they are a step ahead of where they were. Nothing is more unhealthy than being obese AND eating unhealthy. So if someone is changing one thing at a time (losing weight but still eating junk) that is a good thing.

Thank you and I agree - because I was that person. Honestly, I fell into this by accident having lost weight due to stress which led me to a learning process of what it is all about (I blogged about this a little on this site). Understanding that 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat was the epiphany I needed. I began to count calories and was losing weight. The calories I was counting were items on the McDonalds and Sonic menus. It's hard to burn 3500 calories on those kinds of calories :smile: So then I began to find foods that were more conducive to reducing caloreis. This led me to learn more about nutrition and now we have joined a CSA and we cut out all prepackaged and processed foods from our grocery list. The treats for our dog are even homemade now :smile:

I'm sorry if I came across as saying one should not lead to the other. I guess my comments were more about what the reality of the end result. We all have to start somewhere, and starting anywhere is a very good thing.

BTW - I joined MFP recently in the middle of my journey. I used another program for a year or so and it worked great for me. Then I changed phones which led me to switch to MFP.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    it is making permanent changes in my life to be healtier with one one side effect being weight loss.

i couldn't agree with you more :)
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    "I'm sorry if I came across as saying one should not lead to the other. I guess my comments were more about what the reality of the end result. We all have to start somewhere, and starting anywhere is a very good thing."

No...I didn't take it that way but I do worry about someone new getting discouraged because they are thinking they aren't doing it "right" and I just like to point out that (in my opinion only) there isn't a "right" way...just a different means to the same end for everyone. And, I agree that if they don't make the healthy choice changes at some point this will become like so many other "diets" for them and won't work. But I believe that for most of us it comes in steps. I'm still making changes daily and sometimes I fall back...but luckily so far no for long. Good luck!
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I agree, with everything other than it being a massive change. I think thats where people slip up, they try to do too much at once, it gets the better of them and they go back to their old habits. Slow and steady. I have been at this just over a year now, I have, as I have gone along found that I know how to maximise my calories usage and I still have treats, I think I could easily maintain and even lose without logging, I just like the community.
  • dengarrett
    Options
    I agree, with everything other than it being a massive change. I think thats where people slip up, they try to do too much at once, it gets the better of them and they go back to their old habits. Slow and steady. I have been at this just over a year now, I have, as I have gone along found that I know how to maximise my calories usage and I still have treats, I think I could easily maintain and even lose without logging, I just like the community.

For me too it has been a gradual change and I agree a gradual change is best. But when comparing where I am now to where I began this journey many months ago - it has been a massive, life changing process. And I still have a long way to go. I started at such a base of ignorance - not having a clue. I am an intelligenet man, but my entire practical knowledge of this subject was "large amounts of fat is bad". Therefore, I felt good if I ate six ears of corn - low fat. It is so diffferent for me now.