Replies

• mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    A cup is half a pint, hun!
  • mandykasase
    mandykasase Posts: 110
    Options
    Ha ha - this thread has made me lol!! i shout at the mfp site all the time when cups come up! All the posts in reply have made it as clear as mud!! Suppose i'll just have to keep guessing if i can't find a poundstretcher!! Thanks all for making my morning! :laugh: :laugh:
    A cup is half a pint, hun!!:laugh: :laugh: :happy:
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I think a cup in Canada, Australia and the UK is 250ml, and in the US is about 237ml. But in the UK we use weights for non-fluid quantities, whether ounces or grams. I have both US and UK measuring cups for different recipe books.

re: togs and duvets - a duvet's warmth is measured in how many togs it is. I have no idea what a tog is actually quantified as. Of course, a duvet is also a quilt. Which is different from an eiderdown. As for a doona - when I moved to Japan my Aussie housemate told me she'd put a doona on my bed. I went upstairs VERY cautiously worried about what it was I was going to find - all sorts of things were running through my mind!!!!
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    You use measuring cups! You mean you have never used a measuring cup?

That is exactly what I was thinking lol. To me, it is like someone saying they have never used a phone lol.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    buy set of measuring cups. The concept is really quite simple. Just pour the food you want to measure into the cup that is marked for that amount....1/4 cup, 1/2 cup, 1.0 cup, etc.

I agree the concept is quite simple, but it's not how we measure in the UK... A country that deals in "cups" would no doubt be quite irritated if it suddenly had to start weighing everything using grams :flowerforyou:

Rhod rocks btw, but I suspect the US audience will need subtitles :tongue:

I live in a country that uses cups and I always weigh everything in grams just so you know. Weighing grams is not confusing to me.
  • Bluesmilie
    Bluesmilie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the shuckle...hahaha!

Yea at first I ran into that too, hmm what is a cup??? Measuring cups work for me.
    I even brought 1 cup containers to help me.

:)
  • kelda_shelton
    Options
    Yep, the cup and fluid ounces drives me crazy too. sometimes it takes me ages to find the right food thats not in cups or ounces or fluid ounces!!

But good to know its about 250ml.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    A cup is half a pint, hun!

I was about to say no, it's not, and then i looked it up.

Wow. remind me not to order a pint of beer in the US. Talk about short-changed!!!!!!