I NEED HELP!!!

Options
I wanna build more muscle to help burn fat. I do alot of cardio but i think weight trainging would help more with the inches and i've heard that muscle burns fat even when your not working out. does anyone have any good weight training workout ideas i could use. i thought about getting a personal trainer at the ymca just let me know what are yalls thoughts. thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• Page83
    Page83 Posts: 23
    Options
    i have noticed a huge difference in my muscle tone with the 30 day shred and have had lots of comments on how toned i look since doing it.
    i also do strength everyday using 3.5kg hand weights and (when i remember to) have a protein powder drink.
  • baileycd
    baileycd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    We work out with a personal trainer but it is an extra expense to have one at the gym. If you can do it on your own I would recommend it -- I would much rather do weight training on my own. The machines at the gym to do weights are pretty easy to use... You just want to pick a weight that you can tolerate for 10 -12 reps. The big thing we have learned in personal training is once you use one muscles you need to use the opposite muscle. Strenght training is really a great thing to do even if you just do light strength training :D
  • smithalcutie
    smithalcutie Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    thanks so how many do you do in a rep
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Here's a beginner weight-lifting plan:
    Beginners Program
    Train 3 times per week, with one rest day in between (for example, Monday, Wednesday, Friday).

Perform 10 minutes of warm up using cardio equipment (such as a rowing machine).

Perform 1 to 2 sets of the following exercises:

CHEST

■Dumbbell Bench Press (1x12)
    ■Dumbbell Flyes (1x12)
    BACK

■Wide Grip (Lat) Pulldown (1x12)
    ■Seated Rows (1x12)
    TRICEPS

■Triceps PushDown (1x12)
    BICEPS

■Standing Dumbbell Curls (1x12)
    LEGS

■Leg Press (1x15)
    ■Leg Extension (1x15)
    ■Leg Curl (1x15)
  • bugnbeansmom
    bugnbeansmom Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    you might want to try a personal trainer for a few sessions then just continue with the plan they provide. Or you could set up a session every 4 to 6 weeks as your reps and weight will need to be increased. I really like the strenght training days. I find it relaxing! Right now I am doing a Biggest Loser sculpting video at home and I am SORE today. (again, I like that because it is like I can feel my hard work.) I havebeen told that Power90 is a good stepping stone to P90X. Might try that next. Good Luck!
  • smithalcutie
    Options
    thanks for all the advice. i do have the insanity work out but i wanted to do weights since i'm going to the y all the time. yall have helped alot
  • lynnie07
    lynnie07 Posts: 52
    Options
    I don't know if this will help but I know for me it works wonders. The trick to training is putting the full efforts in with minimum rest, in other words, high intensity workouts. Weither it's a cardio day or a weight training day, the trick is to get your heart rate up and try to keep up with minimum rest. By the way, you don't need to workout for hours to see results, it's about the quality.

For example:

Cardio day:
    2 to 3 min warm up
    2 min high intensity ( if 2 min is too long start with 1min then increase to 1:30 the following week by 3 weeks then finally 2 min.)
    1 min low intensity

keep doing this until you have reached 20 min

cool down for 2 min.

It's about the effort!

Weight day:
    circuit training ( burns the most cal for a long period of time)
    with no rest in between
    - stationary lunge : 1 min
    - front plank : 1 min
    - 45 degree body row : 1 min
    - sumo with kettlebelt or weight : 1 min

rest for 1 min

start all over 5 times!

Yup it's difficult but you'll get better and you'll have muscle gain rather than lost.

Remember to change your training every 3 weeks because your muscles have good memory and by the 4th week you won't be burning the same amount of calories as the 1st week. When you feel soreness, it's a really good sign. Also, don't forget to eat within 30 min of your workout with protein ( simple glass of skim milk), it helps to nurish your muscles in order to rebuilt.

:smile: :smile: :smile:
  • jwharrison43
    Options
    Our YMCA started Les Mill's Body Pump class. It is an intense muscle building class to music. It is 60 minutes long. On the plus side it is also great for cardio too. :bigsmile:
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    Since you are so new at it I would def. recomend to use a trainer a couple of times in the begining. Just let him/her know what your goals are and that you want them to show you the best routine that you could do to get there. Be honest with them and let them know that you don't intend to use them all the time, that you just need someone to show you the moves and to make sure you are doing it right so you don't hurt yourself and so you are getting the most out of each movement. Then if you are having trouble there is a proffesional there to whom you can go to for help. The best of luck to you!:flowerforyou:
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    Since you are so new at it I would def. recomend to use a trainer a couple of times in the begining. Just let him/her know what your goals are and that you want them to show you the best routine that you could do to get there. Be honest with them and let them know that you don't intend to use them all the time, that you just need someone to show you the moves and to make sure you are doing it right so you don't hurt yourself and so you are getting the most out of each movement. Then if you are having trouble there is a proffesional there to whom you can go to for help. The best of luck to you!:flowerforyou:
    ps dont be afraid to take notes and even pics on your phone of te correct form to help you later. Because with a trainer you will get the benefit of their training and expertese.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Here are some workouts you can rotate through. Don't do the same muscle group two days in a row. Warm up, then weights, then cardio, then cool-down, then stretch. Start with 3-4 days a week and build up to 5-6 days a week.

Armsxps1.jpg

Backxps1.jpg

Chestxps1.jpg

Corexps1.jpg

Legsxps1.jpg

Shouldersxps1.jpg
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Here are some workouts you can rotate through. Don't do the same muscle group two days in a row. Warm up, then weights, then cardio, then cool-down, then stretch. Start with 3-4 days a week and build up to 5-6 days a week.

Armsxps1.jpg

Backxps1.jpg

Chestxps1.jpg

Corexps1.jpg

Legsxps1.jpg

Shouldersxps1.jpg

Thank you so much for sharing this!:love:
  • smithalcutie
    Options
    WOW thanks some really great advice. My main concern is the fact i don't know what i'm doing but yall have helped out a bunch!!!
  • tassles
    tassles Posts: 172
    Options
    great ideas here ...thanks-:drinker: Bumping for later!!
  • Lookgreat
    Lookgreat Posts: 63
    Options
    Good workouts - thanks
  • downtome
    downtome Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the exercises above! I was asking about this a few days ago but didn't really get a response on what type of weight training to do as I have started a couple days ago but was too sore to do it the day after. I'm going to do some tonight though. Is there a way to print this out so that I can follow it at home? Thanks so much, so awesome!

Denise

Also, I just ordered Kathy Smiths "Lift Weights To Lose Weight" from Amazon last night for only $3.30 a DVD. I'm excited to get those in the mail, you might want to check it out!
  • nancee50150
    nancee50150 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is great! Thanks for sharing... Bump
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the exercises above! I was asking about this a few days ago but didn't really get a response on what type of weight training to do as I have started a couple days ago but was too sore to do it the day after. I'm going to do some tonight though. Is there a way to print this out so that I can follow it at home? Thanks so much, so awesome!

Denise

Also, I just ordered Kathy Smiths "Lift Weights To Lose Weight" from Amazon last night for only $3.30 a DVD. I'm excited to get those in the mail, you might want to check it out!

Put your mouse over the pictures and right click and you can do the Save Image As to have copies on your computer to print. I could also email you the files I posted if you want. Just PM me your email address.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend New Rules of Lifting For Women - http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later