Is dancing enough?

Options
i have just dance 2 and michael jackson: the experience on Wii and I am addicted. I am working up a great sweat and burning some pretty good calories. I get that as long as I am burning that is a bonus but is it enough for now? I need to lose 15lbs hopefully by May and I find that once I have done the "dance workout" I am pooped so not too much extra energy for a non dance workout. In the warmer months I walk but for now is dance good enough?

Replies

• melischemitz
    melischemitz Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try Zumba. I know they have it for the Wii and it's a pretty good workout, but the actual classes are much better calorie burners. I go 4 times/week and work up a great sweat and burn an average of 700 every time and I'm still a beginner.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    It's cardio, so it will likely help you shed unwanted pounds. If you're interested in toning up it probably won't be of much help, but you could always add in some toning exercises to your routine, too.
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    If you dont already have one, I would recommend getting a HRM to see what you are burning and base it on that. I say do whatever you enjoy that keeps you off the couch. If you dont feel it is enough, I usually tell myself "Hey, i am already sweaty and in my workout clothes...I can push out another 10-15 minutes on the elliptical." It keeps me working and I can burn another 100-150 cals that way. Do what works for you and keep up the great work!
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    I do Just dance 2.. but I also do kickboxing.. and I do EA sports active 2.. and I go to the gym.. so w.2.g
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Do what you enjoy so you keep it up. As you get more and more fit, you'll find yourself craving to do more and more challenging activities. Great job!

I think I'll pop in Michael Jackson for Wii myself right now. I just finished a 3.5 mile jog and am already warmed up!
  • girliegirl1822
    girliegirl1822 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I play the just dance games too but I also go to the gym cause I dont know if im burning enough calories playing the wii :smile:
  • JenniferTasso
    JenniferTasso Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I agree Zumba!...I have never tried it for the Wii but I go to a class twice a week...and it is a blast!....They play real music that you would hear on the radio (if people still listen to the radio)....You can go to Zumba.com to locate an instructor in your area...I am addicted!
  • karo224
    karo224 Posts: 292
    Options
    you know your body better than any of us do.....do what you love to do and then when you are ready to move to something else....you will. the most important thing is you are moving. if you start trying to be like others and start something you do not like as much....you will stop and that defeats the purpose. follow your heart.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Thanks all..I tried Zumba and I find myself stumbling and "trying" to get it right more then I get a good workout. I have a HRM and it totally depends on the songs I get but I have been burning 200-300 calories per 20-30mins on average.

I LOVE it so ya I will totally stick with it. It doesn't feel like work and it is something my daughter and I can do together.