should I eat before or after my workout?

Options
I was just thinking about how little of an appetite I have after I work out and I was just wondering if it's better to eat before or after you workout.

Replies

• hippo_hips
    hippo_hips Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    what? I'm usually STARVED after a workout.
    I usually have breakfast before my workout (something small like a boiled egg, and some fruit)
    and then about 20 or 30 mins after a workout I have a protein bar.

works for me.
  • JennsLosing
    JennsLosing Posts: 1,026
    Options
    I work out in the mornings, and if i dont eat something i feel sick. I have a post workout snack though.
  • RichB77
    RichB77 Posts: 88
    Options
    BOTH! ;-)

I have 1 piece of toast with peanut butter on about 40/50 mins before exercise, then depending on what exercise, i always eat afterwards, how can u not be hungry?! U need to fuel your body or it will just click into starvation mode.
  • mrsdouglas1
    mrsdouglas1 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think its better if you eat before working out....even when your not hungry.....I've heard that you should eat within an hour of waking up or somehting like that....the sooner the better and it gets your metabolism going....Food is fuel, and it's important to eat at least something prior to a workout. Eating before exercise serves several functions:

fuels your muscles (both with food eaten in the days before as well as the hour or two before)
    helps settle your stomach and avoid hunger
    helps prevent low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) — symptoms can include dizziness, nausea, and headaches
    fortifies your mental state by knowing that your body is fueled

Hope this helps a little bit. :)
  • TheMrsFitnessGeek
    TheMrsFitnessGeek Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I read that you should eat no less than an hour before you workout and add 100cal to your next snack. If you eat too close to your workout it will make you sluggish and not preform to your best ability. I eat 5-6 times a day with 2-3 snacks. I also do not eat right after I workout. I wait 20-30 min. Hope this helps.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    If you are working out in the morning you've just gone 7-10 hours w/o food so it's good to have something in your stomach like almonds and apple slices if you aren't much of a breakfast person. Have a protein shake afterwards. It will keep you full until lunch and will help your mustles recover.
  • gooberr4
    gooberr4 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I workout after I get out of work (6:30ish) and I haven't eaten since lunch so I usually eat a Kashi bar or one of those nature valley peanut bars. I don't think its horrible not to eat before you workout but I definitely feel better if I do. If i don't eat before I workout, I usually have a tablespoon of peanut butter on a slice of whole wheat bread just to give my body something. You just gotta figure out what works best for your body
  • frannyannemum
    Options
    I normally work out last thing at night. I have two babies who are normally up about 6.30/7.00 in the morning so don't get much chance until they are in bed in the evening. I sit down with hubby and have a proper meal about 8.00ish, wait an hour or so and then do a full hour long intense work out. Don't normally get to bed until late but do feel better for it!
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    both
  • katelynpelerson
    katelynpelerson Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I think its better if you eat before working out....even when your not hungry.....I've heard that you should eat within an hour of waking up or somehting like that....the sooner the better and it gets your metabolism going....Food is fuel, and it's important to eat at least something prior to a workout. Eating before exercise serves several functions:

fuels your muscles (both with food eaten in the days before as well as the hour or two before)
    helps settle your stomach and avoid hunger
    helps prevent low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) — symptoms can include dizziness, nausea, and headaches
    fortifies your mental state by knowing that your body is fueled

Hope this helps a little bit. :)

See, I always feel dizzy and get a headache while I'm working out and I always wondered why. I'm definitely going to start eating a while prior to my workout now! Thanks so much!
  • spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    Options
    If you workout in the morning I would recommend something like "oatmeal (self mixed) with milk/joghurt/quark", because the milk products provide a good amount of proteins and the oatmeal enough fibers to keep your stomache busy for a while :smile:

After the workout I can recommend more complex protein, like in eggs and cheese (preferably cottage cheese, with nearly no fat). This will provide proteins for a long duration after the workout.

:smile:
  • mrsschlerb99
    Options
    I worked out with a trainer last week and he said that you should have a protein shake, or something with protein in it, within 45 minutes of your workout. It helps your muscles recover.
  • cris12
    cris12 Posts: 90
    Options
    yep, definitely eat something before working out. The other day I decided to have a small breakfast (a little bit of yogurt) then I went for a 2mi run and I could barely finish. It was horrible. Since then I work out in the afternoon/night. I feel like my body can take on a lot more, I'm sure everyone is different though.

Also, I remember reading it's good to eat your most carb-filled food of the day after a workout. I don't remember why... oops.
  • katelynpelerson
    katelynpelerson Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    yep, definitely eat something before working out. The other day I decided to have a small breakfast (a little bit of yogurt) then I went for a 2mi run and I could barely finish. It was horrible. Since then I work out in the afternoon/night. I feel like my body can take on a lot more, I'm sure everyone is different though.

Also, I remember reading it's good to eat your most carb-filled food of the day after a workout. I don't remember why... oops.

I can't work out in the mornings, so this is so true for me. I always feel better if I sweat at night (goah this sounds so gross haha) because I love to take a shower and be clean and feel refreshed after I work out when I go to bed!
  • mideon_696
    mideon_696 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have found this works best for me:

I eat about 2 hours before i workout. a good meal. well balanced, about 400cals.
    then afterworout i have my protein shake, then another hour after that, i eat again. full meal. and depending on how much time i have, i'll eat two ~ 300 cal meals, then 2nd about 2 hours after the workout. then another shake before bed :p
    i've been finding my recovery is much quicker this way, strength gains coming quicker also. :)
  • AndrewTheWise
    Options
    A little bit of whey protein goes a long way. A scoop 30-45 minutes pre and a scoop 10 minutes after. Before a workout, it is generally better to eat high protein and a little fat. After, it is better to have high protein and sugary carbs. Like a banana and whey smoothie. Not everybody has a couple hours a day to dedicate to this, but it works well if you can.