Quitting smoking and weight gain.

Options
Because I want to begin jogging I thought it would be a smart idea to also cut down my smoking alot, or if I can quit.
This all came about because my boyfriend said if we could do this together, he would come jogging with me.
But after reading I saw that giving up cigarettes can make you gain an average of 5 to 10lbs in the first few months.

So my question is, has anyone managed to carry on with successful weight loss while giving up this terrible nicotine habit.

I just want to be assured that I'm not the only one that will go through with it or has so far.

Replies

• dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You know I am also debating quitting smoking... I don't know if I'm ready for it or not, but would save me tons of money on cigs, and I'll feel soo much healthier without them... I'm also wondering the same question, I'm trying to lose weight and I know most people who quit smoking gain weight... I've seen some people gain a lot of weight after they are done smoking... I don't want to be that person lol Looking forward to all the replys!
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    i've lost 26lbs in a month, and cut from 25 cigs a day down to 11, its hard work, but it can be done :happy: good luck!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I have! I quit 2 weeks ago, and lost about 5lbs total this week =) it's all in what you make of it! You can do it!
  • irasonrisita
    Options
    I still haven't quit! But to be honest, I don't see a correlation between smoking and weight gain
  • shalma
    shalma Posts: 80
    Options
    I quit quite a long time ago, but my main concern was what to do to replace the habit and not eat to replace it.

So, I started changing my routine during times I knew I'd normally have a cigarette. After meals was a big one for me, so I did dishes right away instead of going to smoke. To this day, i HAVE to do dishes. It became habit and replaced the bad one.

Keep replacing smoking triggers with new habits and you won't pick up food to satisfy yourself
  • SmellyMelly13
    Options
    I haven't quit yet, but I think if you're being conscious of what you're eating while you're quitting you should be okay, it's people who replace their cigarettes with mindless munching that gain weight in an effort to distract themselves.

I'm just waiting for it to be the 'right' time... Which probably doesn't exist and is all part of this vicious cycle we're in haha.
  • mentalbeat
    mentalbeat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I quit quite a long time ago, but my main concern was what to do to replace the habit and not eat to replace it.

So, I started changing my routine during times I knew I'd normally have a cigarette. After meals was a big one for me, so I did dishes right away instead of going to smoke. To this day, i HAVE to do dishes. It became habit and replaced the bad one.

Keep replacing smoking triggers with new habits and you won't pick up food to satisfy yourself

I also gave up, 10 years ago now, I initially substituted the hand to mouth trigger with a carrot or stick of celery. Then slowly weaned myself off the triggers but carried on eating the carrots.
    The real trick is not to use a substitute to cigarettes because you will always feel you are missing out on them,. Just break the habits. I gained no extra weight within the first 4 years of quitting. I actually lost weight because I could exercise for longer periods.
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    The reason that people gain weight when they stop smoking is b/c they switch from one addiction to another- replacing cigarettes w/ food!! I am currently taking an anatomy & physiology class & we looked at a smoker's lung slide- the whole lung was highly infected with tar & severely damaged- please do quit before this happens to you!! And you shouldn't gain weight if you log your food on this site & watch what you're eating (I say that b/c logging your food doesn't necessarily mean you're making the right choices). Best of luck to you!
  • Jalissa2003
    Jalissa2003 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking in December but I was only excercising and not dieting at the time. I did gain the 5-10 pounds (around 7 I think). I gave myself a month to kick that habit and then started dieting. Since then I have lost 19 and feel better then ever! You can do it and I wish you the best of luck!!
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I quit 2 days ago... I will hit 48hrs without a cigarette in a few hours and I can tell you... this has been so hard!!! I decided to give myself a food free pass so I was eating everything in sight basically... went over my cals by several hundred to a thousand each day for the last 2 days... but this morning I have reigned myself in and I will continue with my food plan and not snack mindlessly... and I will NOT have another cigarette (what would be the point of the healthy lifestyle if I end up getting cancer from the smoking?).
  • laurafatts
    Options
    I really do need to find different ways to deal with it because it's normally the having something in my hand that I like about smoking. And normally that's the only thing I do when I'm out with my friends. Smoke because I'm bored, or because others are smoking etc etc.
    Just trying to think of the benefits right now.
    Able to run and walk faster without being out of breath.
    Won't stink of stale tobacco.
    Wont waste money.
    whiter teeth.

I did read somewhere that taking up more exercise, such as a 10 minute walk or simply cleaning something during a craving can help combat any weight gain and combat the craving.
    So there's something for people to remember.

I'm most worried about the weightgain because I've worked so hard to lose this weight and I don't want it to be ruined by quitting.
  • AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I quit January 23rd and I have not gained weight so far, but my weight has not went down either, but that's probably due to my exercise and diet habits lately :frown:

You may not gain weight, and if you do you could work it off pretty quickly. It's worth it in my opinion.

I think there should be no problem gaining weight after quitting for the most part. I believe the reason people gain after quitting is because most replace cigarettes with food. If you stick to eating right and exercising there won't be a problem. Yes, people who have quit and used exercise have been able to resist gaining. It's a great thing to take up in place of smoking. Good luck!
  • mommabear2002
    Options
    The reason people gain weight when they quit smoking is because they feel the need to keep their hands and mouth busy. So as long as you dont use food to replace the cigs or eat healthy snacks instead of M&Ms or something, you should be fine. Dont stress it!! Plus you have to log all that food in and you know that will help stop ya :)
  • laurafatts
    Options
    Helpful advice everyone. thanks.
    Thing is, I have never noticed cigarettes decreasing my appetite or anything so I don't know If I'll snack more.
    Especially considering there's nothing in my house I'm fond of at the moment but If It comes to it theres tons of vegetables in the fridge.
    And the logging my food will certainly help considering I'm going to be getting back on track with healthy eating and logging my food correctly.
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Nicotine is an appetite suppressant so when you quit your appetite returns and food taste better because nicotine also affects your taste buds.
  • Jenyfur1
    Jenyfur1 Posts: 361
    Options
    Great advise everyone. I need to quit too. I smoke a small amount a day... 6-8, but, it keeps me from being able to breath with really strenuous exercise... I have only had 3 today. I am probably going to have one more before bed and I am done.
    We can do this! Thanks a lot for the post. It is very timely.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post and everyone who has taken the time to reply! I think soon I'll start my journey of quitting smoking! YAY thanks soo much everyone!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Yes, I quit smoking and then lost 15 pounds using MFP. I hit a wall and am working on trying to get another 30 pounds off.

I couldn't run a block back then. Had to use an inhaler all the time and take asthma meds. I had to stop and rest walking up 6 flights of stairs. I haven't used an inhaler in a year and can easily do 12 flights of stairs. Recently started running again and doing good!
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Cigarettes were always an appetite suppressant for me; I'd buy a pack of cigarettes (which would at least last me a whole day) instead of a lunch or something numerous times, then smoke a few and feel much better.

I gave up smoking almost a year ago now ... which shocks the hell out of me. Doesn't seem that long at all. And yet it also seems kind of like forever. (Mid-May will be the one year anniversary of my last cigarette, October 31st will be the anniversary of my last drag.)

Anyway, when I quit I had already decided to try to get into better shape, so I didn't get fatter, but I didn't make much progress on it. Also, food tends to take a while to taste better after quitting ... and it may take you a while to figure out how to season your food again. That was one of the first things I noticed, was that food tasted awful because I was putting a thick layer of seasonings on it.

Since you're already trying to better your health hopefully it won't be too much of a problem. When I quit I already really wanted to quit and did so because the taste of cigarettes was suddenly extremely unappealing to me ... so it was easy and I didn't feel the need to replace it with something ... but still when I hang out with my friends and go outside to talk to them while they smoke, and I've been drinking, that fixation, that fidgeting of the fingers, suddenly comes back.

Best of luck, I hope that anyone that wants to quit comes by it as easily as I did. (I only smoked half a cigarette four times after I'd made my decision that I was done and I've only had drags off of like ... two or three cigarettes since then.)
  • hodsonv
    hodsonv Posts: 1
    Options
    I was a chain smoker up until October last year. I had wanted to quit for ages but kept depending on them whenever I got bored. I had also done no exercise in 4 years & was 0% fit, 10kg overweight at 75kg & very unhealthy. I started exercising & within 2 weeks became very sick with the flu & didn't smoke for a week. Then i got better & started having a few smokes again, even though I was still exercising. At Christmas I got very sick with the flu again & thought right, that's it, no more cigarettes, this will just keep happening until I get rid of them altogether. And I haven't had one since.
    In terms of weight gain, I have been training (rowing) for an hour every night, doing weight circuits once a week & doing cardio on a spin bike twice a week since January. I have also changed my diet to high protein & low carbs. Thing is, I haven't lost or put on any weight whatsoever. My body weight has stayed exactly the same at 75kg, so I still consider myself to be 10 kilograms overweight. Very disappointing & very unexpected after all that hard work. However, my body shape has changed completely & I have lots more muscles & lots less fat. I also don't have burning lungs during races & would probably be around 80-85% fit at the moment after all that training. I still get cravings for cigarettes but at the end of the day, I really don't want to die, simple as that.
    So maybe throw out your scales & forget about how much you weigh. Every time you get a craving, drop & do 20 pushups or 50 sit ups instead. :)))