Ugh--is it possible??

Options
Is it possible I gained 5 pounds in a matter of a couple days? I didn't overeat...I ate more than usual yesterday but it wasn't CRAZY.
I guess I just want to know if it's more possible these extra pounds are water weight or actual weight gain?
Whatcha guys think?

Replies

• EDBENAGLIO
    EDBENAGLIO Posts: 424
    Options
    prob water i gain 4 lbs every sunday it is off by wedsday watch your salt
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    without looking at your diary its probably water retention from eating too much sodium. Chug the water today and try the scale again tomorrow and tuesday!
  • Mom71
    Mom71 Posts: 24
    Options
    Could be water weight how much sodium are you taking in?? I know my sodium intake affects my water weight gain
  • Katcatters
    Katcatters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    .. just the weight of the food and water retention probably. Get back on it and it will copme off , a bit slower, but still come off fairly quickly.
    ... are you sure you didnt leave your boots on today?
    :o)
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    well...in order to gain a pound you have to consume 3500 calories OVER what you need to maintain.....so 5 pounds would be 17.500 calories over... Did you eat that many?
    Most likely it's water retention, or your scale is not very accurate.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY agree with the sodium! I weighed on Fri, and then again today...I was up 5 pounds. I'm VERY salt sensitive, and yesterday, I was WAYYYY over on sodium.

I would track it for a day, make sure you're under, and then weigh in the next day.

Sodium is such a pain....:)
  • Katcatters
    Katcatters Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    " Get back on it and it will copme off "

"Come off" even!! LMAO
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    well...in order to gain a pound you have to consume 3500 calories OVER what you need to maintain.....so 5 pounds would be 17.500 calories over... Did you eat that many?
    Most likely it's water retention, or your scale is not very accurate.

Exactly...do the math!! Probably mostly water. Eat clean this week and it should all go away.
  • patjad
    patjad Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    .. just the weight of the food and water retention probably. Get back on it and it will copme off , a bit slower, but still come off fairly quickly.
    ... are you sure you didnt leave your boots on today?
    :o)

:laugh: If only!
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I very much doubt it will stay on, 5lbs is 17500 calories so unless you have eaten that amount over your maintenance calories then it could be a number of things, do you weigh yourself at the same time of day? Your weight can fluctuate more than that over a normal day with food/water etc.

Ben.
  • themchughs2
    Options
    Yes, drinking a lot of water will HELP with the water retention, but the quickest way to get rid of it is by sweating it out combined with water drinking.
  • shamubegone
    shamubegone Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

So here's the answer : yes. It is possible to gain 5 pounds in two days, BUT you would have to eat 17, 500 calories over what you burn in order to put on five pounds of fat since each pound of fat is 3500 calories. If you haven't eaten this much (be honest with yourself) then it is probably a combination of water weight and extra fiber in your bowels. (Also, you retain much more water when it's that time of the month, so make sure to take that into account.) If you ate an excess of salt, that would cause you to retain more water. If you haven't been getting enough fiber in your diet (from veggies, whole grains), that will cause there to be more transit time for the food in your bowels (constipation). My advice to you is this : don't worry so much about the pounds you saw on the scale. Be honest with yourself and make sure you log everything correctly, amount-wise and food variety-wise. Make sure you drink lots of water and up your intake of fiber. The best way to do both is EAT MORE VEGGIES AND FRUIT! They have lots of healthy soluble and non soluble fiber which can help you expel excess food, and keep your heart healthy while at the same time, they are LOW IN CALORIES because of all the water they contain. Bottom line is, don't worry so much about gaining fat unless you really overdid it. Instead, focus on really eating healthfully for the next week, with an emphasis on upping your intake of water, fruits, vegetables, moderate amounts of whole grains, while decreasing you salt intake. I hope this helps! Best of luck!!