Whole Foods Market

Options
Well I just had my first experience at whole foods market and it was the most intimidating place ever. I mean don't get me wrong, it was an awesome store and it felt great to know I'm starting to eat healthier. But being a "wal-mart" shopper all of my life, it was quite a different experience. I pretty much bought a lot of fruit and some snacks. So I'm asking all of you constant wfm shoppers if there are any favorites you always pick up and things I've got to try.

Thanks!

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    You don't need to shop at Whole Foods to eat healthy. I found TONS of healthy food at Target that were Target brand (Archer Farms or Market Pantry) and that were all-natural or organic for cheap. Whole Foods is such a rip off!! lol I do like their deli meat and so far, their hummus (it's usually by the deli/bakery and just in a little container that says "hummus") is my favorite hummus I've tried. I typically only go in for their $1 country french bread rolls. Protein bars are a little cheaper there. I buy Clif builder bars but other than that, I don't really shop there since I can find all the natural, "healthy" foods I need at Target & Kroger.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    bump
  • VRoseDuda
    VRoseDuda Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am not a "die hard" Whole Foods shopper...I do have a mortgage to pay but I try to go once or twice a month. The guacamole is delicious for a treat or I use it on turkey burgers (it IS sort of spicy), macadamia/coconut crusted mahi mahi and most of the salads in the deli. Crab cakes are very good as well. I try to get things there that I wouldn't make myself or would be just as pricey (not everything is expensive there). I just won't buy chicken breasts that are double in price because they are grass fed or whatever...
    I will also only pay the extra for organic fruits/veggies if I eat the skin---again, just my preference but bananas, oranges etc, I go conventional. The fish and seafood is fresh and there is a much bigger selection---it has always been good.
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    I shopped at Whole Foods about once a month during a period of time when I was living closer to the city and was vegetarian. There are some things at WF that might be cheaper than your normal store but for the most part I found that, unless I was there for a specialty product, it wasn't worth the extra money. For example WF store brand tofu and soy milk were much cheaper than what I could get at any of the other stores - including Wal*Mart.

If you're trying to eat more organic produce it may be cheaper at your local store - I know some people will try to buy organic greens but will buy conventionally grown bananas and other things with heavy peels.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I do most of my shopping at Lakewinds, which pretty much the same as Whole foods. Really, you can get the same things there you can get anywhere else. You're just gonna cut out the man made fillers/additives and things like this. Fruit, Veggies, Snacks, meat, bread, canned goods, frozen food....they are all there, just laid out differently. No reason to be intimidated.

One thing to remember is that just because it's organic or from Whole foods doesn't automatically make it good for you. Junk food is junk food. It's just that junk food at Whole foods is without the HFCS and other things of that nature.

Before I give any suggestions. What are your tastes? What kind of things do you like?
  • Aitenev
    Aitenev Posts: 62
    Options
    I love shopping for produce at Whole Foods. They have a much better produce department then any other store near me and such a variety. I like trying new produce items (well, new for me!) I will often pick up something that I've never tried before and come home and look up a recipe in which I can use it. By doing this, I have greatly expanded my usual list of fruits and veggies. Who knew I would LOVE kale, brussel sprouts and turnips!
  • seleck05
    seleck05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I love Whole Foods! I generally shop there every 3 weeks or so ( I go to Trader Joe's on the other weeks because WF really is about double the price & TJs has so many healthy options!). I like that they have: hint waters (keeps me off soda), Annie's cheddar bunnies for snacks, the fresh fish dep't, fantastic bread with JUST bread in it (no crazy soy additives), great no boil lasagna noodles ( I have a spinach and cremeni mushroom lasagna recipe that is one of my faves).
  • hotmama39
    Options
    I HARDLY EVER MY FRUIT THERE BUT I GO THERE BECAUSE I AM ON GLUTEN FREE DIET AND I HAVE TO BUY SOME GRAINS FORM THERE. IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE THERE. I HATE HAD BAD EXPERSIE THERE.
  • jennyfoxx
    jennyfoxx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Whole Foods!! It is one of my favorite places to shop for some of the best healthy food and if you play your cards right you will spend in $$ close to what you would from Walmart. I have a family of 4 and it just about equals out to be the same anymore from my past walmart days.

My family and I enjoy several things from Whole Foods, one being their fruit. WF has the best grapes and oranges but be careful not to eat to much fruit during the weigh loss stage. Their Red Raspberries are fantastic in their plain yogurt with honey.

If you are a chip eater you need to try the POP chips, low in calorie and you get a nice size portion for 1 serving. The blue corn chips are phenomenal too.

We also love Mexican night and I buy their Whole Wheat tortilla shells, 1/2 lbs of fresh, shelled and deveined shrimp with the WF brand of refried, fat-free pinto beans. Taco seasoning is good too.

The coconut milk is awesome along with the Almond milk.

The salmon and tuna burgers delicious along with the gluten free, vegan burgers.

The WF brand of spaghetti sauce is great along with their brand of salsa.

If you get a chance to try a slice of Cheese pizza you will not be disappointed and there hot food bar is phenomenal.

We also buy some of our beauty supplies at WF..

The meat is a bit pricey so we buy organic meat at Fresh Market.

Happy Shopping!! You will love WF once you get acclimated to your store..

You are welcome to add me as a friend and I will help you with any WF questions if you would like.

Buy the Whole Foods brand and you will cut your spending cost..

It's well worth your time and Money to shop at Whole Foods especially when its about your health. Be a smart shopper and look at your options at other supermarkets along with Whole Foods.

Trader Joes and The Fresh Market are also good places to buy organic and price compare.
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    Sometimes they have my Larabars on sale and they stock all of the flavors. My nutrionist recommended those b/c there's nothing added to them. They are straight up food.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I only shop Whole Paycheck... I mean Whole Food when I don't feel like cooking. They have really nice vegetarian options on their salad bar and hot bar. And their olive selection cannot be beat.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Their 365 brand is a lot cheaper than natural and organic food at the normal megamart near me. I do most of my shopping at Whole Foods and Trader Joes.
  • NOLAdy
    NOLAdy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I only go to Whole Foods when a "regular" store doesn't carry what I'm looking for. I usually get:

Sprouted Grain Bread
    Coconut Oil (It's actually the best price I found)

The bulk/loose stuff... I buy Oat Groats instead of Oatmeal, but they have a nice bulk section in general.

I bought a jar of Almond Butter that I'm just about finished with. When I do I want to go to WF to gring my own.

They have a great seafood/meat department. And their bakery is pretty good.